Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master charger replacement in San Diego, CA

SeanTek

Oct 15, 2012
California
I am looking to replace my Master Charger for a 2013 Tesla Model S in the San Diego, CA area. I asked Tesla Service in the Los Angeles area already and they do not want to do it if I get the Master Charger elsewhere. ($2385.23 vs ~$500+labor.) Part numbers are 6009278-00-F and 6009278-84-F.

Does anyone have recommendations of an auto repair shop that can do this, other than Tesla Service itself?

bomquito

Nov 17, 2017
So-Cal
Would recommend Tesla service center. Got mine replaced last year. I waited 3 weeks for it to be done. Tesla also provided me a loaner vehicle while the car was in service.

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Clear Lake TX.
Before you purchase a unit, used or new, it may be locally repaired. I understand that Tesla wants to swap out parts and not repair the part directly. I do believe I have came across videos a while back where they had taken a unit apart to only need a fuse replaced. YMMV.

Andrejun

Nov 16, 2018
Lafayette, Louisiana
Here are the fuses I bought ( I changed both) Your 2013 should be Gen 1 like my 2012.
A50P50-4 Fuse - Ferraz/Mersen,50A,A50P,Semiconductor,Fast Acting,500V,50 Amp | Allfuses.com

I would SPECIFICALLY recommend AVOIDING the service center for this. They typically install remanufactured chargers which are typically just chargers with he fuse replaced.

If you don't want to DIY, and want to drive up to Orange county Tony will fix it for you. If the fuse isn't issue he can also swap charger.

Lasttoy

Mar 24, 2017
St Augustine, Fl
Seantek, please tell me how u know or knew u had a blown fuse? Car wouldn't charge when or where? I'm doing all my maintenance, I just need to know how u figured this out? I've changed my front suspension, coolant pumps.
Thanks.

Peter Lucas

Apr 6, 2016
San Diego
Here are the fuses I bought ( I changed both) Your 2013 should be Gen 1 like my 2012.
A50P50-4 Fuse - Ferraz/Mersen,50A,A50P,Semiconductor,Fast Acting,500V,50 Amp | Allfuses.com

I would SPECIFICALLY recommend AVOIDING the service center for this. They typically install remanufactured chargers which are typically just chargers with he fuse replaced.

If you don't want to DIY, and want to drive up to Orange county Tony will fix it for you. If the fuse isn't issue he can also swap charger.
Andrejun: Don't you wonder a little: What caused the fuse to blow? Will it blow again soon?

TRod

Aug 21, 2019
Chicago
I am looking to replace my Master Charger for a 2013 Tesla Model S in the San Diego, CA area. I asked Tesla Service in the Los Angeles area already and they do not want to do it if I get the Master Charger elsewhere. ($2385.23 vs ~$500+labor.) Part numbers are 6009278-00-F and 6009278-84-F.

Does anyone have recommendations of an auto repair shop that can do this, other than Tesla Service itself?
What are the symptoms of a Master Charger going bad?

TRod

Aug 21, 2019
Chicago
I've heard of the Red Ring as a tell. And a problem charging all the way. Im told I need a replacement master charger but I have none of those symptoms. My car acts like my charge port door is open.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC