Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master charger replacement in San Diego, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to replace my Master Charger for a 2013 Tesla Model S in the San Diego, CA area. I asked Tesla Service in the Los Angeles area already and they do not want to do it if I get the Master Charger elsewhere. ($2385.23 vs ~$500+labor.) Part numbers are 6009278-00-F and 6009278-84-F.

Does anyone have recommendations of an auto repair shop that can do this, other than Tesla Service itself?

Before you purchase a unit, used or new, it may be locally repaired. I understand that Tesla wants to swap out parts and not repair the part directly. I do believe I have came across videos a while back where they had taken a unit apart to only need a fuse replaced. YMMV.

Here are the fuses I bought ( I changed both) Your 2013 should be Gen 1 like my 2012.
A50P50-4 Fuse - Ferraz/Mersen,50A,A50P,Semiconductor,Fast Acting,500V,50 Amp | Allfuses.com

I would SPECIFICALLY recommend AVOIDING the service center for this. They typically install remanufactured chargers which are typically just chargers with he fuse replaced.

If you don't want to DIY, and want to drive up to Orange county Tony will fix it for you. If the fuse isn't issue he can also swap charger.

Here are the fuses I bought ( I changed both) Your 2013 should be Gen 1 like my 2012.
A50P50-4 Fuse - Ferraz/Mersen,50A,A50P,Semiconductor,Fast Acting,500V,50 Amp | Allfuses.com

I would SPECIFICALLY recommend AVOIDING the service center for this. They typically install remanufactured chargers which are typically just chargers with he fuse replaced.

If you don't want to DIY, and want to drive up to Orange county Tony will fix it for you. If the fuse isn't issue he can also swap charger.
Andrejun: Don't you wonder a little: What caused the fuse to blow? Will it blow again soon?

I am looking to replace my Master Charger for a 2013 Tesla Model S in the San Diego, CA area. I asked Tesla Service in the Los Angeles area already and they do not want to do it if I get the Master Charger elsewhere. ($2385.23 vs ~$500+labor.) Part numbers are 6009278-00-F and 6009278-84-F.

Does anyone have recommendations of an auto repair shop that can do this, other than Tesla Service itself?
What are the symptoms of a Master Charger going bad?

My 2013 P85+ with 55k miles just had this problem where it would not change on AC. It will charge at Supercharger which is DC. Tesla SC just sent me estimate of $2416.38 for reman part number 6009278-84-F plus $241.50 in labor. I guess I will ask for my original charger and replace the fuses in case it happens again and have a 3rd party shop swap out. What sucks is mine has dual chargers and it won't fail over to 2nd charger if primary fails.

What sucks is mine has dual chargers and it won't fail over to 2nd charger if primary fails.
You could ask on this. I know in the past, Tesla service centers have done this work, where they will just swap them. Put the still working one in as the primary, and move the broken one into the secondary spot, or remove it. It was a lot cheaper, because it's just labor time, than paying to replace the broken one.