Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.1 update released with 5% power increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received the update last night for our Raven S. Departure Charging was a fail. Set it to finish at 8am this morning (fully expecting it is designed to stop at 6am) but charging never even began last night. Will go back to scheduled Charge Start.

I'm sticking with scheduled start time until Tesla lets you set the ToU end time.... right now it's apparently locked at 6 AM because...I guess the programmers personal ToU rates change at 6AM? Mine change at 5, so I'd be paying an hour of higher rates if I used that.

Someone on a UK FB page has done some acceleration runs before and after upgrading.

From their results, the 0-60mph times are apparently not much better (maybe a 1/10th) but the 0-100mph are about 1/2 sec quicker.

Someone on a UK FB page has done some acceleration runs before and after upgrading.

From their results, the 0-60mph times are apparently not much better (maybe a 1/10th) but the 0-100mph are about 1/2 sec quicker.

In which particular model? Link to the testing?

AWD non-P

Yeah, already posted about here:
MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 roll out and features

That 0-100 change is very hard to believe though- will wait on someone with vbox/draggy to confirm

EDIT- same thread a few posts later links to a youtuber who ran a draggy before/after, same ~0.1 quicker 0-60, but only about 0.2 quicker in the 1/4 mile (and a bit over 2 mph higher trap speed)

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnusMako
This is cut and paste (from a closed FB group) so it's all I can tell you ATM:
He has a P3D+ but is running 18" aftermarket wheels on it.

UK Tester said:
For anyone interested in the 5% power increase with 36.2 software...

I've done a few acceleration tests today before and after the software upgrade. I tried to get the conditions identical before and after but the road was slightly damper after the upgrade and although the runs didn't seem to be traction-limited I want to do some more runs later if it dries out.

For now it looks like 0-60 times are very similar before and after. I'd be surprised if there's much more than 1/10 sec difference there.

0-100 times are more interesting. Before the upgrade, I was in the 8.4-8.6 sec region. I had two runs after I upgraded of 8.20 and 8.14, so I'd say there's a potential 0.5 sec gain in 0-100mph with the 5% power increase.

50-70 mph has improved by about 0.15 sec. (now around 1.6 secs)
60-90mph has improved by about 0.25 sec. (now around 3.2 secs)

It's really after about 65-67mph that the power increase is apparent from the times. From dyno work done in the U.S. we know that up to about 45mph the P3D's power is consistent regardless of SOC, so I'm going to suggest the software is limiting power up to ~45mph for some reason and none of the 5% increase will be in that region. That would tally with what I've seen before where 0-40 acceleration times have been the same at 40% or 80% SOC.

Results could be different with a RWD M3. Maybe they are only limiting the AWD cars because they don't want the 0-60 times to get any closer to the Model S. Maybe there's some other limiting factor.

N.B. These runs were all 80% SOC +/- 2% and no rollout. Measurements were done with proper data loggers not phone apps!

Last edited:
AWD non-P

Yeah, already posted about here:
MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 roll out and features

That 0-100 change is very hard to believe though- will wait on someone with vbox/draggy to confirm

EDIT- same thread a few posts later links to a youtuber who ran a draggy before/after, same ~0.1 quicker 0-60, but only about 0.2 quicker in the 1/4 mile (and a bit over 2 mph higher trap speed)

My measured (using accelerometer and math) 0-100 improved by 0.334s coming from 2019.32.12.2 to 2019.36.1. It's improved by 0.811s since 2019.5.15. Graphs and such a few pages back and in the P3D Horsepower thread.

My measured (using accelerometer and math) 0-100 improved by 0.334s coming from 2019.32.12.2 to 2019.36.1. It's improved by 0.811s since 2019.5.15. Graphs and such a few pages back and in the P3D Horsepower thread.

I saw that, but the guy I was linking to was in an AWD, not a P- which obviously has a lot more room available to get faster :)
(his 0-100 improvement still seems unlikely though)

If I understand from the few reports we have:

AWD you notice the increase in power off the line and the 5 or more percent bump seems to be throughout the speed range from 0-100?
AWD P you don't notice any difference off the line but sizeable difference in the 60-90 MPH range?

Reactions: MrABRanch
If I understand from the few reports we have:

AWD you notice the increase in power more off the line and maybe a little at higher speeds as well?
AWD P you don't notice any difference off the line but sizeable difference in the 60-90 MPH range?
6/19 build LR AWD w/ FSD here... Feels like we received a remapping of acceleration as well as more acceleration. The accelerator pedal depression-to-power is now more linear, and it pulls a lot harder throughout the range. Looking for some more folks to post CANbus data, draggy times, etc.

Reactions: MrABRanch
Does the power increase come with a range increase?

So far, it does not appear to! Subject to further info of course - it would be really hard to detect a small efficiency difference. It certainly is possible though - they could make the drive of the motor more efficient at all speeds and that would potentially allow greater power output for the same input power (which would mean more range all else being equal).

In theory you could use the Stats fleet data to see a step change in the efficiency if it existed (it would also depends on the Stats definition of efficiency and where it gets that definition from). But coming at the same time as a record cold snap makes it more difficult to see small shifts in that data as well as you can see. Mid-summer would have been easier to see! Also only 29% rollout so far. In any case no evidence that I've heard that there is any efficiency improvement yet. It's unclear what to expect going forward in regards to efficiency.

IMG_6079.PNG

Got my update today on a performance 3 without FSD. Haven't driven yet. If anyone in Southern Colorado has vbox we can see where the increase is. I ran a best of 11.56 @ 115mph on old firmware at the drag strip (which just closed for winter) . Will be interesting to see the difference when I can get another run in.