Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.1 update released with 5% power increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range improvement in the current update via one pedal driving improvement which was mentioned on the Q3 earnings call.

I have so many questions.

5-0 mph energy savings cannot improve efficiency by 4%.

Did they improve regen recapture efficiency?

Has someone measured battery power output during a dyno run and compared to prior results to see whether there is more efficiency there?

4% is a lot.

I guess it will all become clear in due time.

Reactions: Zoomit
Anyone notice the audio on YouTube sounding incredible? But it has a bug where it shoots your volume up all the way when you go to it and exit. Scared me.

Even in prior software (2019.32.12.2) the audio volume is buggy. When finishing a phone call it will switch back to the prior input and blast the audio for about half a second before reverting to the set volume. It is pretty annoying and can be deafening depending on the song. It may depend on the volume setting of various sources. I have to turn the phone volume way up to hear it so it is possible that setting is incorrectly applied to the subsequent input for a brief moment.

Reactions: And123wAb1
No. There is no rated range increase from that. Your efficiency numbers may go up, but the car's rated range is unaffected.

Elon Musk specifically said the one-pedal driving will improve the range as well. Improvement in efficiency = improvement in range. EPA rated range on the 2020 AWD got increased to 322 as well as the P3- on 18's. ;)

He also said the S might even move the range to almost 380 with the update.

@SageBrush 2020 EPA docs are already released (link).

Elon Musk specifically said the one-pedal driving will improve the range as well. Improvement in efficiency = improvement in range. EPA rated range on the 2020 AWD got increased to 322 as well as the P3- on 18's. ;)

@Zaxxon is just saying rated range may not increase. It will depend. The only thing that matters is how efficient the vehicle is, of course, which may be a little hard to tell for a 4% change.

I think new 2020 at some point for sure will have a 250-mile rated range displayed in the car. I would assume older cars too (eventually) but we will see. But obviously the miles displayed does not matter - all that matters is how efficient the car is and how much energy is available for use.

For sure one-pedal driving will increase efficiency, so Elon is right about that, but I can’t see it making a 4% difference in the highway cycle! There is only 1% of your total energy available below 5mph, if you are stopping from 60mph. Elon did not imply that was the only change.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic

I don't think he meant "rated range" will increase, but rather the loss of range (from braking) will be decreased - meaning with "hold" mode on, you will go further than with it off, as regen is used more slow down and the brakes less (less energy is converted to heat, etc.). Make sense?

Reactions: C141medic
I don't think he meant "rated range" will increase, but rather the loss of range (from braking) will be decreased - meaning with "hold" mode on, you will go further than with it off, as regen is used more slow down and the brakes less (less energy is converted to heat, etc.). Make sense?

If that's precisely what he meant, then yes. All that matters to me is that I can go farther with it, and thus the range in the context of using it than not using it is greater.

If that's precisely what he meant, then yes. All that matters to me is that I can go farther with it, and thus the range in the context of using it than not using it is greater.

I’ll say again - I guess I have not driven it yet, but I cannot conceive of a way hold mode changes and one pedal driving at low speeds could lead to a 4% efficiency improvement on the highway cycle.

I think there are likely motor drive efficiency improvements as well. It is possible it is regen recapture efficiency improvements too.

Things to look for, thinking about it, I would say if the motor sounds different when accelerating, that’s a sign of a motor drive change. If regen sounds different, that a sign of a regen change. Again, don’t have the update so no idea. Not necessary to hear these things for there to be a change...but if it is audible that makes it pretty likely.

I’ll say again - I guess I have not driven it yet, but I cannot conceive of a way hold mode changes and one pedal driving at low speeds could lead to a 4% efficiency improvement on the highway cycle.

I think there are likely motor drive efficiency improvements as well. It is possible it is regen recapture efficiency improvements too.

Things to look for, thinking about it, I would say if the motor sounds different when accelerating, that’s a sign of a motor drive change. If regen sounds different, that a sign of a regen change. Again, don’t have the update so no idea. Not necessary to hear these things for there to be a change...but if it is audible that makes it pretty likely.

Agree with this 100000%.

Have you seen any reports yet where those with the latest update saw an increase in "rated range" (not estimated)? For example, a new 2020 LR AWD is rated at 322 miles, not 310 miles. Anyone with an "old" LR AWD seeing their rated range increase? What I have seen are reports of performance increases from this latest release only.

Have you seen any reports yet where those with the latest update saw an increase in "rated range" (not estimated)? For example, a new 2020 LR AWD is rated at 322 miles, not 310 miles. Anyone with an "old" LR AWD seeing their rated range increase? What I have seen are reports of performance increases from this latest release only.

No I have not. Maybe it will happen (they might never change displayed rated mile), maybe not. Maybe efficiency improvements not released, maybe they just are not talking about it yet even though they are there. Hard to know since it is really hard to measure a 4% change.