Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From how I understand it, the car will aim to be fully charged by 6am, but will also precondition the cabin for your departure time. Two separate events bundled into one convenient “departure time” setting. I don’t know how far in advance it’ll precondition, but I don’t think it starts that as soon as it starts charging the car. I know it mentions that it’ll help with regen but I assume it’s because heat in the pack will last a decent amount of time (large mass holding the heat).
If this is true, that might just explain why my charge finished at 5:48am this morning while I had set my departure at 7:45am. When I reached my car at 7:45am this morning, the heater was already running. Been a while, too because the cabin is very toasty. I usually set it to begin charging at 3:30am. This morning it started at 1am.

If I use the schedule departure function, do I actually have the option to NOT have the car preconditioned? It looks like it only gives me 2 options. Either precondition everyday or precondition on weekdays only.

I just got the update yesterday and didn’t have time to play with it much. It would be great if the car would just finish charging without preconditioning at 7:30 if I set my departure at 7:45. Electricity rate at where I live is the same 24/7.

Reactions: lnsh
Yes. We got the 1PD update (36.2.1) Monday night, and drove it with the new feature Tuesday and noticed the click.

In a curious bit of timing, the preceding weekend I also noticed the click every time TACC brought the car to a full stop in stop-and-go traffic. Clearly the friction brake engaging. I had never heard that sound before in 16 months.

No pull. Just steering wheel is tilted to go straight. SC said it should correct itself but it never did.
I hate to say this, but it’s a fact so here it goes.
They lied. That can not correct itself. That is a tierod adjustment. On a rack and pinion steered car you have to adjust the tie rods to Change the Toe angle, this has to be done with the steering wheel perfectly straight or you get an off center wheel. Some cars are more sensitive than others and the tech needs to make sure after tightening the jam nuts to recenter the ball of the tie rod (make sure the tie rod isn’t tilted) then check the centering of the steering wheel compared to the numbers on the screen. It isn’t difficult, just tedious. (I used to do this for a living).

Good luck.

I hate to say this, but it’s a fact so here it goes.
They lied. That can not correct itself. That is a tierod adjustment. On a rack and pinion steered car you have to adjust the tie rods to Change the Toe angle, this has to be done with the steering wheel perfectly straight or you get an off center wheel. Some cars are more sensitive than others and the tech needs to make sure after tightening the jam nuts to recenter the ball of the tie rod (make sure the tie rod isn’t tilted) then check the centering of the steering wheel compared to the numbers on the screen. It isn’t difficult, just tedious. (I used to do this for a living).

Good luck.

Thanks for all your help/expertise :) Will update in two weeks heh.

When hold was previously engaged, it was from a status where the brakes were already applied so there was no additional movement. The new automatic hold is applied after the car is stopped and then the brake is completely applied. That's the noise. It is very smooth, smoother than most people come to a stop. Don't worry about the "click".

Reactions: bd7349 and WilliamG
I have always had a clicking coming from the brake and accelerator pedals with autopilot before when the car would come to a stop on its own at about 5 or less mph.

Now, ever since I started using the new HOLD feature, every time the car goes to near stop, it clicks every time. Quite annoying and I’m not sure if it’s something I can get used to.

Anyone with this problem?

There is a very slight “chink” sound I can JUST hear when the brake engages for hold (the brake pedal moves a tiny fraction too), but its not a loud mechanical click or anything for me. I think the quiet chink sound is just part of the normal car operation, but a loud noise might be something else.

Another data point for anyone interest. Absolutely no clicking sound with the new Hold feature enabled.
Been driving around and paying close attention lately to test this out. Audio system has been off and been driving on country roads with zero traffic. Still don't hear any type of clicking noise before, during or after the vehicle comes to a complete stop. I'm not an old fart... yet. So, my hearing is still very good! See my signature below for model/configuration and build date.

I had something similar happen today on a VERY slight incline. And I mean really slight, as in, only Texans would call it an incline (I'm not from Texas, where I come from, we know what a mountain is, lol). Basically, coming out of a parking lot onto a highway frontage road, about a 10' deep apron that dropped maybe 6-8". So not much. But enough that if the car were in neutral, it WOULD roll forward.

I stopped on the apron and waited for traffic. Kind of tapped the go pedal to nudge forward a bit and let off, expecting hold to stop me. It did...but not before rolling me backwards a few feet. I tried again, rolling forward a few feet, only to roll backward after letting off the go pedal. Tried it a third time and it did it again. But when I went to pull onto the frontage road at normal speed, I went forward fine.

So no massive reversing like that poster. But still, the car was rolling me backwards for sure.

I wonder, some people have felt like the car is "tight" or more reluctant to accelerate than before. Could it be related?

Yes. We got the 1PD update (36.2.1) Monday night, and drove it with the new feature Tuesday and noticed the click.

In a curious bit of timing, the preceding weekend I also noticed the click every time TACC brought the car to a full stop in stop-and-go traffic. Clearly the friction brake engaging. I had never heard that sound before in 16 months.
It’s probably always been there. I noticed this earlier on when using TACC or autopilot last year and noticed that no one else was reporting it. Now that HOLD is available and more people are using it, it’s more noticeable.

It is interesting that there are a couple of users who don’t hear this click.

Eesh. That's certainly a scary (and SUPER serious) bug if true.

I just got the update yesterday and drove "Hold" mode today for the first time (I didn't even change it; after the update the car defaulted to "Hold" mode!). Was a bit different and I can imagine it'll take a bit of getting used to, but if it improves regen, I'm on board!

Re: the braking question: You can easily tell when the car applies the brake. If you simply put your foot on the brake pedal extremely lightly, enough to feel the pedal but not enough to engage it at all, you can feel the pedal move when the car applies the brakes. In my experience, the car didn't apply the brakes until the car was literally stopped.

Yes, I noticed this too. The regen seems more "gentle" now, and requires either lifting off the accel pedal much earlier or using the brakes. I thought I was crazy when my habitual regen braking points on my commute left me sailing towards intersections (okay that's an exaggeration, but I had to use pedal brake). I like the one-pedal driving and hold setting, but also definitely prefer the more aggressive regen profile.

Hope they change it back.
Yes normal regen braking above 5 mph is noticeably weaker. Why would they change this???

Eesh. That's certainly a scary (and SUPER serious) bug if true.

I just got the update yesterday and drove "Hold" mode today for the first time (I didn't even change it; after the update the car defaulted to "Hold" mode!). Was a bit different and I can imagine it'll take a bit of getting used to, but if it improves regen, I'm on board!

Re: the braking question: You can easily tell when the car applies the brake. If you simply put your foot on the brake pedal extremely lightly, enough to feel the pedal but not enough to engage it at all, you can feel the pedal move when the car applies the brakes. In my experience, the car didn't apply the brakes until the car was literally stopped.

That's correct. The car does not apply friction brakes that I can tell - until the car is at 0mph. It blends regenerative braking and actual slowing/pull-back of the motor RPM to stop the car.

One-pedal driving is something I had been eagerly looking forward to since I bought the car a year ago. I tried the HOLD mode for the past day, and it pains me to say that I don't really like this implementation for the following reasons:
1. For whatever reason, the motor noise seems significant louder when in HOLD than in ROLL.
2. For my driving style (lift my foot off of the go pedal often to maintain a good constant distant between my car and the car in front), HOLD seems to be less energy efficient for the 100+ mile (about 60/40 Highway/City mix) with it on.
3. The ride seems rougher when HOLD is on. I have to admit this may be something in my head, because of the extra motor noise I am hearing.

Furthermore, HOLD's performance in snowy/icy weather is unknown at the moment.

I have gone back to ROLL. :(

Reactions: evannole and eli_