Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is also new to me. Sounds like the same sound when we press and hold the park button on the gear stick. I'm out on a limb and say that when the car comes to a full auto stop/hold it applies the parking break.

I hear the same sound. It happens just as the car switches to "H" to hold when coming to a stop. I assume some mechanical locking pin or something so the car doesn't roll backward? I like one pedal driving but it does seem to apply some type of friction brakes at like two or three mph. I'm hopping it actually does prevent brake ware as well as humans can while regen to a slow speed and then friction brakes.

I kinda wish the car still behaved as roll or creep while backing up. I'm less happy about having to apply much more pedal force when maybe three feet away from a solid structure because I need to back a little closer, but I'll probably get used to it.

Cone vis works well for me (July 2019 SR+ without FSD) and shows up without having to be on AP. Side note, AP will NOT use the cones as replacement lines. We have a stretch of road that was recently repaved and hasn't had lines painted yet, but a solid line of cones on each side of the car and AP freaked out after about 15 feet into this area and told me to take over. Even if "lines" show up on the screen AP won't show as an option until leaving the construction zone and getting to an area with actual road markings. Big improvements will have to be made there for FSD. In addition, I don't think it's actually rendering every cone, to me it looks like it might "thin" them out to every 3rd or 4th cone unless they suddenly change their pattern. So if it's a straight line it thins the cones, if the cones suddenly guide you into another lane it'll render the higher density of them.

I feel like I can feel the extra power, and certainly can hear a slightly different pitch with the motor, but I have no hard evidence with that.

I'm curious how high these cars could go... if someone releases a Tesla Model 3 style car with 325hp could Tesla bump SR+ another 8% to go from roughly 300 hp to 325 hp? I wonder how much more upper end the electric motor has that Tesla isn't using (possibly because of efficiency at a lower power range?) With less moving components and no transmission it seems like there would be less sensitive bits that additional power could break...

• Informative
Reactions: thewait
Yep. Wish there was a shortcut to “Creep for Parking.” Light years better than Hold mode. For driving driving, I like the new Hold mode.

I agree. Maybe if Tesla gave us the ability to have creep enabled when in reverse and hold enabled for driving forward?

I gave the new hold mode out a try on my drive into work this morning. It is nice but I think I prefer creep for parking lots and tight spaces.

I'm not sure whether this is a placebo or not. When you switch to the Software tab, it already goes into "Checking for updates..." mode. So it could just be a coincidence that it finds the update after a user plays with the switch on the tab.

But I will admit, I tried it this morning and did get the update immediately after pressing and holding the Advanced toggle.

I thought people were joking about this when I first saw it mentioned earlier in this thread. I agree that it could just be coincidence but I'll definitely be trying this out the next time a new update is released.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
417 kW translates to 559 hp of motor power!

That's battery power. Given that's about 1000A, it's to be expected that there will be some resistive loss in the components. So not all of that 417kW will make it to the motor. And then the motor itself is not 100% efficient.

Still, I figure it likely is over 500HP of motor output power, and a little under that to the wheels. The real-world acceleration test I saw so far showed about 460HP to the wheels, but that may not have been fully maximized (battery condition, state of charge).

It's interesting that the Reddit post does show more power draw from the battery with the AWD. Presumably it's the same for the Performance? Wonder whether it accounts for all the power gains? That would suggest that there are likely no efficiency gains here yet (which seems to be backed up by other evidence).

, have you notices a solenoid/actuator clicking/energized noise upon coming to a full stop? I have, and it's a new sound for me.

Yes, I have this. But I've heard it before - I could hear it before (and can still hear it) when I override Autopilot in stopped traffic with accelerator input (to snug up to a car in front), and apply just the right pressure to the accelerator, and can get a lot of clicking (generally it is better to just disengage Autopilot to prevent brake slamming from the car, I've found...but if I don't...). It's just the brake actuator I assume (since that's what it was in that prior case). I guess that demonstrates the one-pedal driving is implemented at least partially with the brake.

I have the update, but no cones. It has been suggested this is the divergence point for HW2.5, VS HW3.

I wonder if for non-HW3.0 owners that have AutoPilot, does cone detection along its path at least alert the driver? I don’t care if there’s no visualization but a cone is an obstacle. I have seen “construction detected” message on a couple of occasions but it’s be very inconsistent.

Reactions: JBT66
Literally every car maker in the US market, other than Tesla on their non-P cars.

As has been pointed out, specifically to you, multiple times in the past.

Ooh. More beef. And yet again - zero evidence.

And I don’t actually believe that’s true. But expecting you to provide evidence of this has proven fruitless in the past so I don’t expect anything to change moving forward. ;)

Road and Track states that “magazines” use these testing methods. Nowhere do they state that the car makers themselves do. In fact, evidence would suggest they don’t do that at all.

E.g. The 2016 VW Golf R DSG I owned for a few years was said to have a 0-60 of 4.9 seconds by VW itself. Most publications were able to achieve 4.5 seconds, I’m guessing with 1-ft rollout.

Same goes for just about every German brand that underrates their car’s power and 0-60 times.

Now those are just German vehicles. I’ll wait for the proof that “literally” every USA car maker cites their times with 1-ft rollout.

Still waiting.

The Drag Racing Technicality that Got the Tesla Model S P100D to 60 in 2.28 Seconds

No, the Tesla Model S P100D doesn't do 0-60 in 2.28 seconds

I’m not going to let you derail another thread, though.

—————————

Moving on!

Now we can get back to arguing about whether there is actual regenerative braking below ~5mph in this new update! I’m still going to say no, and I still think my video proves it. Otherwise why would there be energy expended to slow the car down?

I maintain it’s the motor essentially throwing itself into a reverse state to bring the vehicle to a stop, and then friction brakes to hold it in place and put the car into actual Hold. So the blend of braking is regenerative and then motor “reverse.” No friction brakes till 0mph hold. I’d love someone to confirm these findings.

In addition, if my findings are correct, that means range would actually drop an imperceptible amount because battery usage increases that tiny amount on low-speed motor-based braking. And with the confusion as to whether we’re getting 5% more range or not now, I have to throw my arms in the air!

Last edited:
Ooh. More beef. And yet again - zero evidence.

oooh- more lies and zero counter-evidence :)

The only US car makers anymore are Tesla, GM, and Ford. Dodge is owned by FCA after all.

B5 Audi S4 Resource

GM and Ford also use rollout when claiming their factory times.

It goes on to explain foreign companies, who don't care about NHRA racing much, tend NOT to do that...which partially explains why German cars for example tend to do better in US car magazines than they do on their MFG listed specs.

But the main thing is, as repeatedly explained to you in the other thread where you also kept refusing to accept any amount of evidence, everyone other than Tesla does one OR the other on all their cars

They don't change the method of measurement depending on which model they want to look better compared to another.

If you'd like a second source you'll doubtless ignore or dismiss-(though they aren't as specific as the first link)
How We Test Cars and Trucks
some car magazines and some automobile manufacturers use rollout

Downloading 36.2.1 right now. I am excite. I think I'm more excited for one pedal driving than I was for youtube/ Netflix or Beach Buggy Racing.

The consensus seems to be that it’s great for driving, less so for parking in tight quarters, especially in reverse. I agree with that consensus. That said, parallel parking isn’t too bad with EAP/FSD because you can use self park.

For the rest of the owners without said feature, I expect it’ll be a learning curve and never as easy as covering the brake and using Creep for parking. So it’s a trade-off. If you don’t live in a major city or have to park in tight quarters then it’s probably no big deal at all.

oooh- more lies and zero counter-evidence :)

The only US car makers anymore are Tesla, GM, and Ford. Dodge is owned by FCA after all.

B5 Audi S4 Resource

It goes on to explain foreign companies, who don't care about NHRA racing much, tend NOT to do that...which partially explains why German cars for example tend to do better in US car magazines than they do on their MFG listed specs.

But the main thing is, as repeatedly explained to you in the other thread where you also kept refusing to accept any amount of evidence, everyone other than Tesla does one OR the other on all their cars

They don't change the method of measurement depending on which model they want to look better compared to another.

If you'd like a second source you'll doubtless ignore or dismiss-(though they aren't as specific as the first link)
How We Test Cars and Trucks

When did I ever say it wasn’t true that Tesla didn’t do that? I just wanted evidence.

Anyway, I agree it’s BS that Tesla uses two different standards for their testing. Total BS.

The consensus seems to be that it’s great for driving, less so for parking in tight quarters, especially in reverse. I agree with that consensus.

You're obsessed with this creep thing, William. There is absolutely no "consensus" on using creep in reverse, in fact very much the opposite. Let it go, you like creep, I say tomato, let's call the whole thing off..........There is no universal truth in creep..........use it or don't, who gives a fu*k? But I'm again beating my head on your concrete door........

You're obsessed with this creep thing, William. There is absolutely no "consensus" on using creep in reverse, in fact very much the opposite. Let it go, you like creep, I say tomato, let's call the whole thing off..........There is no universal truth in creep..........use it or don't, who gives a fu*k? But I'm again beating my head on your concrete door........

I live on the Tesla Reddit. Pretty much everyone is saying the same thing. Great for driving, reversing into a tight space is tough. I think it might be even a little tougher than Roll mode, but I’d need to take some time to compare.

I’m not obsessed. This has been the big change that most people use every day so the comparisons are important!