Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One alternative would be hold-for-drive, creep-for-reverse, as someone else suggested, but here's a random crazy thought: scroll wheel "trim": When in reverse (or maybe when in hold regardless of gear) the right scroll wheel is inch-forward, inch-backward. Each click moves the car 1 inch.

Interesting idea. Tesla likes to keep it simple though. Imagine someone scrolling the wrong wheel (thinking they were doing volume) and BAM! Ouch.

My idea would be to let the car use its sensors to detect when it is close to something in front or back, then go into roll mode so one is not constantly trying to get it off of hold or gauge the distance with the pedal. But I haven't had enough experience with it yet to decide if it will be an issue.

I've done it like 15 times already going down my parking deck. Everytime theres a green bar all the way to zero. Maybe its different on different models. Mine is a HW3, RWD.

Interesting. Mine is AWD 3P+, HW3. Going down a hill at 5mph and letting off the accelerator definitely consumes energy and doesn’t regenerate it (or at least the consumption is higher than the regeneration according to the energy bar). I tested this a zillion times, too.

Last edited:
On another topic, I was hopeful that Summon-and-Exit would finally work for me after this update. Does anyone know how to make this work?

upload_2019-11-12_15-55-18.png

I just went by a few construction zones on AP (HW2.5). No come visualization or detection. Cones were right in the drive line and I got not warning.

Oh that’s helpful. It’s no good. But it’s helpful that you were able to test that.

So, people who bought AutoPilot (BETA) are now to be left out of certain important things that contribute to autopilot such as, obstruction detection, forcing them to buy full self driving? Is Cone a NOAP only feature? If not, isn’t this a little unfair?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Oh that’s helpful. It’s no good. But it’s helpful that you were able to test that.

So, people who bought AutoPilot (BETA) are now to be left out of certain important things that contribute to autopilot such as, obstruction detection, forcing them to buy full self driving? Is Cone a NOAP only feature? If not, isn’t this a little unfair?
As @diamond.g pointed out seems to be a HW3 function. Which I think is good news as they move to the next HW platform being able to handle more.

Just tried the HOLD mode and while it’s “fun” and “interesting”, I doubt it’ll make a real world difference in the car’s efficiency and brake life.

It’s important to note that CREEP and ROLL are acceleration features and HOLD is a deceleration/stopped car feature. That said, is there a reason why this HOLD mode is implemented as an extension of ROLL mode? I’d rather have HOLD as an extension of CREEP. Meaning, engage CREEP mode when car is accelerating from a complete stop, and engage HOLD when car is decelerating, bringing it to a full stop with increased regenerative braking. And also HOLD when stopped at a steep angle, like it does today.

Unfortunately, given the way it’s implemented, the CREEP mode feels a lot more natural, at least to me.

1) It keeps the brake pads in use to go from 5 mph to 0 mph, keeping the rust off,

2) the car has a satisfying low acceleration as soon as foot lifts the brake (enforces a good habit of keeping your foot ready to hit brakes), and you know when you’re in Drive vs Park/Neutral/Reverse.

3) It engages HOLD mode automatically (or manually when one needs to) when the car is stopped at a steep angle

Last edited:
I don’t have FSD and cone detection works on mine.

• Informative
Reactions: youngmcdonald