Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP has been using cones to limit driveable space for quite some time now (spring time?) Which means it see’s them. HW3 will now display them, which tells me they have more confidence in visualizing individual cones AND HW3 will do a lane change to move away from incoming cones. 2.5 will not.
They detect a lot of things they choose not to display. They also choose to display stuff they recognize poorly (cue in the dancing cars).

So basing your assumptions about their state of detection on what they chose to display or not does not sound as a very good idea to me.

Reactions: ISoGrumpy
They detect a lot of things they choose not to display. They also choose to display stuff they recognize poorly (cue in the dancing cars).

So basing your assumptions about their state of detection on what they chose to display or not does not sound as a very good idea to me.

Fair enough. So why display cones on HW3 and not 2.5 if they both see and classify?

it was on twitter somewhere.

Basically in reference to this one green on Twitter

how do you think the car knows it cannot drive between the cones and such.

Cool, so HW2.5 can recognize cones on a road and use them to determine lane edges (overriding painted lane markings) despite not displaying them on the screen?

I personally care much less about the visualization than the car’s ability to properly behave when cones change lane edges.

Reactions: youngmcdonald
I have HW3 (saw some cones on the MFD the other day!), and had disabled that prior to my initial V10 update coming through; I had seen and used double-tap for "dumb" Summon, but never seen anything like that for Autopark, either on the MFD itself or in the manual.

I realize it's a dumb summon, but the menu that pops up on double press literally said/says "AUTOPARK". Sorry for the poor quality crop from a video I took a weeks ago. I last used it yesterday right before I started the update. After the update, I went for a test drive and came home to it not working. Still not working after work today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191112-204055.png
    Screenshot_20191112-204055.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 103
I have always had a clicking coming from the brake and accelerator pedals with autopilot before when the car would come to a stop on its own at about 5 or less mph.

Now, ever since I started using the new HOLD feature, every time the car goes to near stop, it clicks every time. Quite annoying and I’m not sure if it’s something I can get used to.

Anyone with this problem?

Both wife and I have a 3 and we both experience the clicking when hold engaged.

I've always used the hold feature, even before this update and never heard it in that scenario, even now. Only when letting it enable hold itself with this new feature.

Just to chime in - I also love the new hold mode.

One thing about roll mode is that when the car is stopped and the brakes are on "hold," if I accidentally tap the accelerator or the brake pedal, it will release the brake hold and the car will start rolling (if on a hill). And given how quiet and smooth the car is, I find that I can go a few seconds before realizing the car is rolling if my attention is elsewhere. This no longer happens with "hold" mode and actually does feel safer to me... when the car is stopped it's tendency is to stay stopped.

And to add a data point on the cone/HW3 discussion - I don't know my computer version as I've never looked at the actual computer. But I suspect I have HW3 (June 2019 build, and videos were encoded as H265 prior to the software update that caused everyone's videos to encode in H264). I did not purchase FSD and I see cones.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Yep. Easily noticeable as the Hold engages on my 3P+. I assume we’re noticing it more because we’re not actually pressing the brake pedal at the time. I tend to have music on when I drive so I don’t hear it then, but if the music is off and it’s quiet - it’s really noticeable.

It’s quiet on my car, but its audible. I assume it’s the electronic brake booster and that’s quite normal operation. It was audible in my Leaf as well. It definitely is more noticeable with hold now that I don’t even touch the brake. I don’t find it particularly annoying though. For me it’s quieter than clicking the buttons on the wheel.

I had my first spontaneous reboot in over a year today running 36.2.1. I was about to back into a parking spot so shifted into reverse. The backup camera was black so I waited a couple seconds for it to come on and then the screen went blank for a reboot. I put the car in drive and moved out of the way from blocking the aisle. The reboot completed normally and I shifted into reverse again and the backup camera came up normally so I was able to park. Since I've been on 36.2.1 I've had more frequent backup camera delays than other recent versions. Anyone else having this issue? BTW, I've been using the one pedal driving mode and I like it enough to leave it on for now. Previously I used the creep setting. I liked being able to easily roll a bit just by letting off the brake and them re-applying it. But I can do essentially the same thing on OPD just by letting it auto stop and applying light pressure to the accelerator to roll and releasing to stop again. I find it's just a little easier than having to switch between pedals.