Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
re: Joe Mode broken

Is it just me or post-update is Joe Mode either 'less quiet', or maybe broken and not inducing a sound loudness reduction at all? Before the update Joe Mode volume was tolerable, but now it is stuck on too loud and annoying. No perceivable difference when I toggle the Joe Mode switch or do a soft reset. Anyone else have this issue?

On mine it's the brake pedal being actuated, I can see it move, hear it and feel it in the steering wheel when pulling away on 'hold'. I doubt it's a bug, more likely an undocumented feature.

SR+ here.

Same experience of hearing and feeling the 'click' on hold mode. Whats interesting is that its a new sound as of today where as I didn't experience it yesterday immediately after the update.

This noise isn't present in roll mode. Couldn't tell if its a bug (brakes sticking, or some type of ABS noise?) or by design as a audible indicator.

As some others have mentioned also hear a noticeable increase in acceleration whine under full virtual throttle.

re: Joe Mode broken

Is it just me or post-update is Joe Mode either 'less quiet', or maybe broken and not inducing a sound loudness reduction at all? Before the update Joe Mode volume was tolerable, but now it is stuck on too loud and annoying. No perceivable difference when I toggle the Joe Mode switch or do a soft reset. Anyone else have this issue?

From my experience prior to 2019.36.x, Joe Mode only reduced the volume of turn signal clicks and AP engage/disengage sounds.
Anything else such as steering wheel nags or collision warnings are played at the same volume with or without Joe Mode.
I'll test it again this afternoon and post if I still hear a difference in the turn signal clicks on 2019.36.2.1.

Reactions: nojtheta
Had a weird issue this morning where the setting was put back to ROLL for some reason. I almost hit the car behind me as I expected the car to stop. Had to put the car in park and switch it back to HOLD, not sure if it happened because my battery was less than 20% or something.

I got the update last night. Did not get the enhanced driving visualizations (cones). Is it 100% confirmed that only HW3 gets that?

I never knew if I had HW3 or not as my build is April 2019 so a grey area.

Thought I read someone asked Elon and he said not hardware but software related. I took that to mean AP2.5 and HW3 could handle it and would receive the visualizations.

First charge last night since installing 36.2.1. Reported range is up! At 90% I'd been getting 280/281. This morning it reported 286. It doesn't change my life, but it was nice to see.

And I got my first play with one-pedal driving last night on an outing to a restaurant and back. Nice!

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Long range rear wheel drive here. Number 4xx off the assembly line. It's hard for me to quantify how much I enjoyed this update without sounding dramatic. I came from a P85DI Model S and have a performance automotive background. I've always loved fast cars but found the speed of the P85D to be somewhat excessive, even by my standards. I bought the LR 3 knowing it was fast enough.

And it's gotten faster on me. This car is crippled off the line intentionally and that's still the case after the update. So I suspect the raw 0-30, 0-60, etc aren't going to look that much better. Where the car shines is any kind of roll. At almost any surface street speed it feels notably more powerful. It's not night and day but you're waking up with more power than you had yesterday. Who can complain?

Likewise with stop mode. It's the feature I never knew I wanted until I used it and now I can't imagine driving the car without it. I think my only complaint there would be that it was slightly more adjustable. I feel like there are still too many situations where I need to hit the brakes to get the car to slow down at a faster rate than regen is providing. In my ex wife's old i3 you could truly one pedal your way basically to a stop, quite quickly. The Model 3 still takes its time. All in though, this little fraction of an update is bigger to me than V10 was. I love it.

And since I don't see any LR RWD owners posting, to those wondering, yes your car is going to feel faster.

I think I figured out the new Hold mode’s regen system! I spent about an hour on different surfaces, flat, mild declines and then steep declines. Here’s what I found. Bear in mind I have no tools to test this with other than my eyes:

1.) On a flat surface the car appears to regenerate energy all the way down to 0mph. There is no blending of any sort that I can tell. It’s pure regen. At 0mph the friction brakes hold the car (H). I can see the green regen bar all the way down to 0mph as my “confirmation.”

2.) On a mild decline the car works exactly the same as it does on a flat surface as far as I can tell.

Now this is the part where things get interesting.

3.) On a steep declining hill it FEELS like it’s working the same way as it does in 1.) and 2.) but it’s not. On a steep decline the car is blending regen by also increasing (excuse any terminology errors here) reverse-“gear” energy. This actually consumes energy, and I can see the smallest of black bars in the regen bar. This is not friction braking + regen because this would not consume energy. This tells me the car is limited in terms of how much energy it’s capable of gathering on such a steep decline at close to 0mph speeds.

Anyway, those are my findings thus far. I’ll update if I discover anything else.

Let me addend: it’s of course still possible there’s blending in all situations but the net energy is positive.

Last edited:
And here’s another video evidence of energy usage on a steep downhill using Hold mode, I took just now. It’s just too much gravity/low speed to regen, and uses a tiny amount of energy to slow down. This will only be a thing on steeper downhills at low speeds.

Last edited:
AFTER UPDATE MY DRIVE SIDE MIRROR DOESNT FOLD ANYMORE. NOT SURE IS RELATED.

I had an issue after the update where my drivers side mirror angle was not correct when driving (just the mirror itself) so I couldn't see my left side blind spot, and it wouldn't let me change the angle either which seems like maybe it was just glitched out and locked up. The entire mirror enclosure was not folded in though. But since then, it seems to have corrected itself. Never had any mirror issue before this.

M3 LRD AWD Downloaded 2019.36.2.1 last night. Love the Hold mode but it is taking some getting used to.

As far as the power, it feels stronger however, I did a couple of test runs to 70 mph. Using App Drag Racer I recorded 0-60 in 4.5 sec. That is exactly what Tesla advertised when I bought the car in March but a previous update was supposed to decrease the time to the currently list 4.4 sec. DR accuracy unknown. I had to turn off "High Accuracy" mode because it was not working. I will try again later this week and report back.
Screenshot_20191113-164342_Drag Racer.jpg