Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same noise since day one. If you use autopilot in stop and go traffic it will make the same noise as friction brakes are applied at full stop or if autopilot needs to stop faster then regen. Zero change in noise for the past 23,000 miles I’ve been driving.

I can only assume people have not used autopilot in stop and go situations or have not paid attention.

Edit: I am loosely interpreting the phrase “clicking noise” - personally I would call it an actuator noise.

Reactions: WilliamG
Hmm...the HOLD mode was auto-activated on my profile after the upgrade...last night my wife used the car for the first time since we got it and she didn't want to use HOLD, so she checked it and it was still set to her preferred CREEP. When I got in this morning, my profile was set back to CREEP. I never changed it. Weird.

Also, the car shows about 9 miles more degradation via the calculation than it did with the previous version. So they clearly are still messing with the algorithms.

I really love the new HOLD mode and have been waiting for it for a long time. But today I realized it introduces a new problem (or rather inconvenience) that wasn't there before when going through a car wash. The car wash I go to has these rollers that push the car through the wash cycle with driver inside. Car is supposed to be in N but I always keep it in D as it can easily roll through, and is easier to just push the accelerator at the exit. My routine is to fold mirrors, silence the PDC's and torn off the wipers. Now I realized that the HOLD mode will introduce a new problem as it will hold the car if in D with foot off the accelerator. I thought my options were to actually switch in N, switch from HOLD to ROLL (need to stop and go to Park for that), or hover over the accelerator pedal to prevent the car from auto switching into HOLD. I tried the latter and it works but you have to be careful feathering the pedal and watch the screen all the time to make sure the car does not go into HOLD.

This makes me think: we really need a car wash mode :)

• Helpful
Reactions: SDRick and ybbor
I really love the new HOLD mode and have been waiting for it for a long time. But today I realized it introduces a new problem (or rather inconvenience) that wasn't there before when going through a car wash. The car wash I go to has these rollers that push the car through the wash cycle with driver inside. Car is supposed to be in N but I always keep it in D as it can easily roll through, and is easier to just push the accelerator at the exit. My routine is to fold mirrors, silence the PDC's and torn off the wipers. Now I realized that the HOLD mode will introduce a new problem as it will hold the car if in D with foot off the accelerator. I thought my options were to actually switch in N, switch from HOLD to ROLL (need to stop and go to Park for that), or hover over the accelerator pedal to prevent the car from auto switching into HOLD. I tried the latter and it works but you have to be careful feathering the pedal and watch the screen all the time to make sure the car does not go into HOLD.

This makes me think: we really need a car wash mode :)
Just create a new driver profile and call it “car wash”

Yep. I haven’t had this issue yet. But it makes sense that it would go in the opposite direction because that falls in line with my theory of reversing the motor’s direction of power to slow the car at low speed. Seems like it’s getting confused somehow. This should be Tesla’s focus for now.

After 24 hours, this myth seems "Busted," as I haven't seen many reports of this in TMC or the Tesla forum.... Agreed?

• Disagree
Reactions: mrbagwibs
I hate hold while parking in tight spots (forwards or backwards).

I used hold for two days trying to get used to it. Like I said, way better on the road, but my garage is a tight spot for my model 3. Yesterday, as I was adjusting the car moving forward, I realized I would hit something. Instead of taking my foot out of the accelerator, I stepped on it, hard. Luckily, I also turned left, away from the obstacle. It turns out my brain is wired for CREEP mode after a year of driving and the immediate reaction to an "emergency" is to step on the brake or, in this case, step harder on the pedal my foot is on it -- like I had always done.

So, for now, I'll be avoiding it. Maybe I'll create a profile for parking, but it's a bit of a hassle to do that every time.

Yes. Using creep (not roll) your foot is on the brakes all the time. So your brain is wired for that. The shift from the accelerator to the brake pedal was not part of my daily drill. In fact, if using only the accelerator, I have to do the completely opposite of what I'm used to do for a year to move/stop the car.

I guess this is more a warning for people using hold.