Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2) Coming to a red light, around 25 MPH, letting go of the accel, and the car not slowing down as expected, more like "it used to be", requiring use of the brakes kind of "at the last minute" ;-) ? The battery read ~ 150 miles out of 265 max, so regen space was ample. And Hold was working on the very next slowdown.

Definitely noticed this. I took my car out on a ride last night that has a LOT of stop and go, and then a faster road (45 MPH) with lights. Here are my observations.

1. When in Hold, the car feels "tight" to accelerate, as others have noticed.

2. I found it harder to modulate my speed under 30 MPH. I drive a section of road that's 20 MPH and policed, so I like to go no more than 25. I found it very hard to keep that speed constant. I found I was either going 22 or 29. It was weird. I have driven this road more or less twice a week since I got my car last year and have never had this issue.

3. As noted above, regen from like 45, 35, or 25 down to zero initially feels much weaker than normal, then kicks in strongly. I've come rolling up hot to some stops where before I rolled up nicely and then just applied the brake. Now, you have to start regenning sooner, but then when the regen kicks in stronger, almost have to go back on the gas to maintain a nice smooth roll up to the stop.

4. Turned off hold and already missed the strong regen to a stop.

So definitely a mixed review from me.

I had something similar happen today on a VERY slight incline. And I mean really slight, as in, only Texans would call it an incline (I'm not from Texas, where I come from, we know what a mountain is, lol). Basically, coming out of a parking lot onto a highway frontage road, about a 10' deep apron that dropped maybe 6-8". So not much. But enough that if the car were in neutral, it WOULD roll forward.

I stopped on the apron and waited for traffic. Kind of tapped the go pedal to nudge forward a bit and let off, expecting hold to stop me. It did...but not before rolling me backwards a few feet. I tried again, rolling forward a few feet, only to roll backward after letting off the go pedal. Tried it a third time and it did it again. But when I went to pull onto the frontage road at normal speed, I went forward fine.

So no massive reversing like that poster. But still, the car was rolling me backwards for sure.

I wonder, some people have felt like the car is "tight" or more reluctant to accelerate than before. Could it be related?

Update on this, I found a parking lot today with a similar slope and tried to re-create. Could not get it to do so. So maybe was just something about that one location? Dunno, will keep experimenting.

Why not turn off Creep for a week or so and get your brain rewired to Stop and Go pedals, and more importantly, learning how to 'feather' the Go? And then switch over to Hold?

(never used Creep so it does take a bit of learning to feather the car into the garage, but if my wife can do it so can you.)

This is my fear as well. When maneuvering in tight spaces it seems safer to have my foot on the brake instead of the throttle.

Guys,
You do know you have two (2) feet, right?
:D
Nothing is stopping you from however two (2) feet over two (2) pedals, and applying one, or the other, as appropriate.
Or alternatively, moving one (1) foot between two pedals.
If that's too much trouble, then I guess you never learned to drive manual, so don't "Hold" it!
:cool:

I hate hold while parking in tight spots (forwards or backwards).[...]
It turns out my brain is wired for CREEP mode

OK, so you are a "Creep".
You still get a hug !
:)

With no music playing and HVAC on lowest fan speed, the quiet cabin is now disturbed by a single "click" as (I assume) the Bosch iBooster applies pressure to the hydraulic brake system just prior to a dead stop.

No "click" is heard when I use the brake pedal to come to a dead stop.

I've just noticed this with this new hold mode, but realized it also does this when in autopilot and in stop and go traffic on a freeway.

So maybe it's just me, but 'Hold' mode feels and looks like it uses a lot more energy than 'Roll' in my P-. By feels I mean that I need to press the accelerator further in order to overcome the regenerative braking that "feels" like it's always on. And by looks I mean that for the same stretch of road driven in 'Hold' and 'Roll' modes my 'Hold' energy usage average was up near 450 Wh/mi, whereas in 'Roll' mode I'm at around 250

That makes no sense. I’d suggest testing again.

Guys,
You do know you have two (2) feet, right?
:D
Nothing is stopping you from however two (2) feet over two (2) pedals, and applying one, or the other, as appropriate.
Or alternatively, moving one (1) foot between two pedals.
If that's too much trouble, then I guess you never learned to drive manual, so don't "Hold" it!
:cool:
Yeah, that would work great if I learned to drive that way. My brain is now calcified though!
Arguably everyone learning to drive now should left foot brake.
Using my left foot to brake with a manual transmission would be extremely difficult for me. How would I push in the clutch when coming to a stop? Heel toe?

Yeah, that would work great if I learned to drive that way. My brain is now calcified though!
Arguably everyone learning to drive now should left foot brake.
Using my left foot to brake with a manual transmission would be extremely difficult for me. How would I push in the clutch when coming to a stop? Heel toe?

It was/is considered bad form to use your left foot for braking because of our puny human brains, pressing both at the same time and getting confused etc etc. Historically it was bad for the car - transmission etc, but with electric cars that's not so much an issue. If you can do it, in an electric car, safely, then no reason not to. The car does warn you if you press both pedals at the same time.

An update to the clicking-on-stop sound...

Okay, so I took the car out yesterday on 1) a quiet street, 2) with both the radio and A/C off and 3) the windows rolled up. Yes, I do hear a <very soft tongue-clicking> when Hold mode is engaged and the car comes to a complete stop. Maybe it's my hearing but take away any one of the three things I just mentioned and I don't notice the sound.

It was/is considered bad form to use your left foot for braking because of our puny human brains, pressing both at the same time and getting confused etc etc. Historically it was bad for the car - transmission etc, but with electric cars that's not so much an issue. If you can do it, in an electric car, safely, then no reason not to. The car does warn you if you press both pedals at the same time.

Years ago I was driving a go-cart at the state fair. Never went fast enough to need to brake. At the end when I was parking the cart I reached for the brake with my right foot only to find to my horror there was a barrier between the left and right footwells and you can't right foot brake. I had a momentary panic until I remembered, oh yeah, I can brake with my left foot.

Funny how years of conditioning can make a simple thing so hard.

With no music playing and HVAC on lowest fan speed, the quiet cabin is now disturbed by a single "click" as (I assume) the Bosch iBooster applies pressure to the hydraulic brake system just prior to a dead stop.

No "click" is heard when I use the brake pedal to come to a dead stop.

I've just noticed this with this new hold mode, but realized it also does this when in autopilot and in stop and go traffic on a freeway.

I used it today for the first time and I also noticed this click. You can also feel it a bit in your pedal when it comes to a full stop and the (H) appears on the screen.

Ok, the radio was very silent and the AC too but I am surprised how these kind of clicks do can be a bit annoying.

Reactions: navguy12
Sorry this may have been asked before but for the update did they split the Creep function:
From Creep (ON/OFF)
To Creep (On) or Roll (Creep Off)?

When hold was previously engaged, it was from a status where the brakes were already applied so there was no additional movement. The new automatic hold is applied after the car is stopped and then the brake is completely applied. That's the noise. It is very smooth, smoother than most people come to a stop. Don't worry about the "click".

I have a different recollection of the previous HOLD process:
My recall was that you applied the brakes to stop & exerted an extra press of the brakes to activate HOLD.

vs.

New HOLD where you brake > car stops > HOLD is automatically applied.

Last edited:
Sorry this may have been asked before but for the update did they split the Creep function:
From Creep (ON/OFF)
To Creep (On) or Roll (Creep Off)?
The three current options are:

Creep: Behaves like a traditional automatic transmission vehicle. If you deeply depress the brake whilst stopped, you will toggle Hold mode on and off.
Roll: Behaves like "Creep Off" used to: as the car decelerates to a near-stop, it will begin to freewheel at and below about 5KPH. If you brake to a stop, the car automagically enters Hold mode.
Hold: The new mode with fully one-pedal-driving. The car will decelerate as with Roll mode, but will actively brake to a stop and engage Hold once stopped.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA