Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The key here is that nothing has to get worse for the car to give us 5% more kinetic power out of the same inverters/motors. If they were able to tune the system to be more efficient, the same amount of electric power from the battery will yield more mechanical power from the motor. This is why this update gives us both more power and more range: it's based on increased efficiency.

So you don't need to hit the pedal as hard to get the same amount of pickup as before. However, if you DO hit the pedal as hard as before, don't expect to save anything. If you let up on the pedal to get the same pickup as before, you can expect a slight savings.

It'll be hard to detect, though, because it's a small difference (5%) and because the weather's getting colder (battery efficiency drops in the cold, and because our batteries are so big, that's a lot of thermal mass that gets cold after a long night - it can take quite a bit of driving in the morning before it warms up to peak efficiency.)
Thank!

My HW3 Tesla shows the traffic cones but does not turn away from them. Today there was a continuous arc of cones forcing me to merge right into the inner lane. I was on AP (not FSD or NAVonAP) and watched carefully to see what would happen. The car moved a little bit over but I had to take over before it clipped a cone. Has anyone had luck with their Tesla avoiding cones?

I had the same issue - saw the cones merging the freeway lane, and while it did merge over, it didn't seem to be happy about it and came close to the cones.

However, on a long drive over the weekend on NOA and auto lane changes, it tried to change lanes numerous times when it saw cones on the side of the road and decided it needed to move over. The cones were just along the side and not merging. The message that popped up for the lane change was something like 'changing lanes to move away from cones'. I had to abort all of them and eventually turned off NOA during that stretch. Still not 100% - but overall, the drive on NOA and the lane change functionality worked better than it ever had.

Robert

Could switching gears before the car is at a complete stop cause any damage? For example, if backing out of a spot, then putting the car in DRIVE while still coasting backwards.

I actually see this as a great feature - under 5 mph, you can switch back and forth and move the car in the new direction. I learned this was possible before I picked up the car and use it every day to move quickly from reverse to forward.

I did the same thing with my Prius a couple times when it got stuck in some sand. Steady pressure on the accelerator, and flipping the knob between D and R until successfully rocked loose. Would have bean near-impossible with a traditional transmission.

Yeah it definitely clicks for everyone, whether they all have good hearing or not, its happening. They should feel it in the steering wheel as well if they keep their hand on the wheel when coming to the complete stop. You feel the click as it happens.

Reactions: whatthe2
When I get home, press the button on the stalk once to put the car in park in my driveway. Then before exiting the vehicle I press the same park button twice and it brings up autopark on the screen where I choose between forward and backward. I press the up arrow on the display for forward and after I exit the vehicle it pulls forward and parks in my garage.

To enable this functionality in the past you had to select one-press summon from the summon settings in the vehicle. I still have this setting selected but no longer have the autopark feature appear after double clicking the park button.

Edit: Sorry for the weird context, looks like the mods moved my post from another thread and the context for pronouns was lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: mastervm
Agreed. The Reddit posts seemed to be genuine concerns raised by genuine owners, and not paid FUDsters - that's why I reposted over on the Tesla forum (and got called all kinds of names by some of the most notorious disrupters over there). :)

P.S. The sun is out in our local neck of the woods. Just returned from a nice spirited run... Went back to CREEP mode, just for a change of pace. Love the throttle remapping and added boost!

More instances popping up of one-pedal driving “malfunctioning.”

I don’t know that I see Tesla removing “Hold” mode from our cars quite yet, but it seems to me like they’re having issues with load balancing when it comes to the car being able to balance not moving forward or back...

Bug with new One-pedal driving mode

I love hold because that is the way I have always driven - using the accelerator to slow the car as much as possible before using the brake. My husband is the opposite. He is either accelerating or breaking and never understood why I rarely had to replace the brakes on my (previous) car. Hold is perfect for my driving style. Thanks Tesla:)

Reactions: KenC