Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One pedal driving/hold has been great.
A little hair raising earlier yesterday when I stopped on a 15% grade hill and another car came behind me. That was the confidence tester for me. It worked nicely.

By the way, anyone hearing a small but discernible click when the car hits "0" and the hold indicator comes on? I'm sure it's normal, but I never heard it before. It's also reassuring so that I don't have to look at the screen.
Yes, I hear that click as well.....also in stop and go traffic while TACC/Autopilot is doing the full stop braking for me.

Also had an unsettling experience (four times) this past Sunday while using TACC on a two lane highway.

After approaching slower traffic (than my set speed of 98 kph) and having TACC match the slower speed......

......I'd wait for an appropriate situation to pass the slower traffic by "flooring it" to pass the slower traffic.......

......and once I was past the traffic and back into my lane I would take my foot completely off the pedal, expecting regen to take me back down to my 98 kph TACC set speed......

.....but decending down thru 127 kph, the green regen line shrank to nothing and the black acceleration line filled in and the car would begin to pick up speed until I touched the brake/cancelled TACC via the up tap of the gear lever.

Did the bug report/noted the actual time on the fourth time and passed all this info to Tesla (via their now very opaque communication system for comments, etc).

FWIW: the Tesla rep told me that in car bug reports are now actually pushed to the mothership and are assessed without any driver follow up.

I think I've heard that. Isn't it mechanically going into park? When I say I've heard that, it has nothing to do with the new feature, it's strictly Hold.
In my car, it is not the usual sound of the rear calipers being electrically bound down such as when the car is in park.

It's a tick that is coming from the brake pedal area (perhaps the iBooster?) and I also hear it whenever TACC/Autopilot brings the car to a full stop in stop and go traffic.

You can only hear it when the music and HVAC system is not loud.

Reactions: 03DSG
The place I notice this most is when I'm backing out of my driveway. It used to take just a little push to get it moving and then it would coast all the way out to the street. Now I need to keep applying a little accelerator to keep it moving. Not necessarily a bad thing but just a different feel after 5 months of the old way.

The place I notice this most is when I'm backing out of my driveway. It used to take just a little push to get it moving and then it would coast all the way out to the street. Now I need to keep applying a little accelerator to keep it moving. Not necessarily a bad thing but just a different feel after 5 months of the old way.

Same here. And it always reaches a stop when I have the back side on the street which is a really awkward stance to get it moving again

I just set Charge at Departure scheduled for 4:30pm at work, and it says it will start charging at 12:20pm - so it will work during the day.
I set charging to use scheduled charging depart at 7:30am week days, worked fine all week
Friday night after work plugged car in as usual, car didn't start charging.
It set itself to scheduled depart at 7:30am again
Left it to see what happens

Checked on the Tesla app, after midnight - charging stopped
No charging notifications in the Tesla app other than finishing charging the previous morning
Went out to the car plugged it back in again started charging.

I had assumed that come Friday night, charging would revert to normal
and the car would start charging as soon as it was plugged in.

I went through about 20 pages of this thread (first 20) just to see other people's thoughts regarding HOLD but mode I'm going to share mine because I believe they are quite in depth and more analytical. I took it this granular because for some reason I just can't decide which I like better (Hold or the old "roll" style". Never used creep before)

- It can be a bit weird like turning left at an intersection with incoming traffic, because it stops completely when you want to roll a bit. I noticed now instead of slowing down at a light to turn right of left, instead of rolling through you can't, because it will stop completely, but the solution is to accelerate a bit to keep it from stopping

So, before the sequence was foot off accelerator, roll, then accelerate again and go

Now it's more like foot off, roll+accelerate lightly to continue moving at steady speed, accelerate harder

-------

- I'm finding it hard to stop exactly where I want with just the one foot, but then to overcome this you have to feather the pedal and kinda tap it lightly to make it to where I want (without touching brake ). Curious what you guys think of this or if you're doing this

So, I will occasionally tap/feather accelerator at various points during slowdown to "land" exactly where I want. Sometimes I do this more or less depending on how good or bad I able to gauge the regen. The thing that concerns me about this
I just thought it would be weird to constantly let it slow down with Regen + braking blend, then tap acceleration to get to where to I need to stop. This seemsl that would defeat the purpose since that wouldt use braking twice in a stop. Where it Regen + brake blend > tap accelerator > Regen+ brake blend. Wouldn't this be using more of the brakes ? ObviouslyI would become better with time and this would be less of a factor

I sort of wish that it was more of a gradual linear deceleration and stopping more like Roll, which I found easier to predict. If it were more constant, I feel I would be able to be more consistent in gauging it, again maybe I just need more pratice

-------

- I have not tested to see if the overall Regen deceleration is different coming to stop before the point where the Hold braking kicks in, but I suspect that it is different. I have no scientific way to test this.

------

Other things I've noticed overall in terms of driving dynamics:

- Reversing is less zippy with Hold activated. I suspect this is because Tesla doesn't want people to press the accelerator and the car zooms too much. Of course this wasn't as much of a problem on Roll (the old Hold mode) because people would just let the car roll slowly out of their garage or parking lot with their foot on the brake just in case . Now, the way people drive at these low speeds is completely different with Hold mode on, it's more about pressing accelerator to move, as opposed to slowing it down from rolling. It makes sense why Tesla engineers slowed down the reversing to complement Hold mode. Overall, some people say it feels like the car has a different feel, like it's heavier, but not sluggish

- Overall, I feel car doesnt feel as "free" and loose anymore with Hold mode vs Roll mode

-Another change I noticed, Regen is tuned down at higher speeds, less aggressive and seems to roll more freely.

- Finally, car is way faster, people have calculated about 10% faster,n 5%

Anyways, freaking love this car. Thanks for geeking out with me for anyone that cares

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
I went through about 20 pages of this thread (first 20) just to see other people's thoughts regarding HOLD but mode I'm going to share mine because I believe they are quite in depth and more analytical. I took it this granular because for some reason I just can't decide which I like better (Hold or the old "roll" style". Never used creep before)

- It can be a bit weird like turning left at an intersection with incoming traffic, because it stops completely when you want to roll a bit. I noticed now instead of slowing down at a light to turn right of left, instead of rolling through you can't, because it will stop completely, but the solution is to accelerate a bit to keep it from stopping

So, before the sequence was foot off accelerator, roll, then accelerate again and go

Now it's more like foot off, roll+accelerate lightly to continue moving at steady speed, accelerate harder

-------

- I'm finding it hard to stop exactly where I want with just the one foot, but then to overcome this you have to feather the pedal and kinda tap it lightly to make it to where I want (without touching brake ). Curious what you guys think of this or if you're doing this

So, I will occasionally tap/feather accelerator at various points during slowdown to "land" exactly where I want. Sometimes I do this more or less depending on how good or bad I able to gauge the regen. The thing that concerns me about this
I just thought it would be weird to constantly let it slow down with Regen + braking blend, then tap acceleration to get to where to I need to stop. This seemsl that would defeat the purpose since that wouldt use braking twice in a stop. Where it Regen + brake blend > tap accelerator > Regen+ brake blend. Wouldn't this be using more of the brakes ? ObviouslyI would become better with time and this would be less of a factor

I sort of wish that it was more of a gradual linear deceleration and stopping more like Roll, which I found easier to predict. If it were more constant, I feel I would be able to be more consistent in gauging it, again maybe I just need more pratice

-------

- I have not tested to see if the overall Regen deceleration is different coming to stop before the point where the Hold braking kicks in, but I suspect that it is different. I have no scientific way to test this.

------

Other things I've noticed overall in terms of driving dynamics:

- Reversing is less zippy with Hold activated. I suspect this is because Tesla doesn't want people to press the accelerator and the car zooms too much. Of course this wasn't as much of a problem on Roll (the old Hold mode) because people would just let the car roll slowly out of their garage or parking lot with their foot on the brake just in case . Now, the way people drive at these low speeds is completely different with Hold mode on, it's more about pressing accelerator to move, as opposed to slowing it down from rolling. It makes sense why Tesla engineers slowed down the reversing to complement Hold mode. Overall, some people say it feels like the car has a different feel, like it's heavier, but not sluggish

- Overall, I feel car doesnt feel as "free" and loose anymore with Hold mode vs Roll mode

-Another change I noticed, Regen is tuned down at higher speeds, less aggressive and seems to roll more freely.

- Finally, car is way faster, people have calculated about 10% faster,n 5%

Anyways, freaking love this car. Thanks for geeking out with me for anyone that cares
When slowing down instead of completely taking the foot off the accelerator I usually just accelerate less and less gradually until the car comes to a stop where I want it to stop. I'm becoming pretty good at this.

Reactions: navguy12 and PACEMD
When slowing down instead of completely taking the foot off the accelerator I usually just accelerate less and less gradually until the car comes to a stop where I want it to stop. I'm becoming pretty good at this.

Hmm that's a good tip, I hadn't thought of that. Instead I took it off completely and would tap occasionally to end up where I needed to stop.

But yesterday after doing some further testing I think the decision was made for me. I think I've decided to use the hold mode as opposed to roll mode because I did notice something was different: before in the old hold mode AKA roll mode the car used to Regen down to about five miles per hour and then a light tap to the brakes was slow the car to 0 and the hold would come on. Now it does not come on as easily and you have to go to a firm press on the brakes to get it to hold. This wasn't the behaviour before. It used to stop with a light tap and engage hold very easily, now it's not a seamless. I guess that's why it's called rolled mode now and not hold mode. Makes sense I guess. So if this is the case, then I won't be using roll mode anymore because every time I get to a light I have to brake, and then brake firmly at the end to get the hold to engage. it becomes too invasive and manual as opposed to automatic. It could be my imagination also because I haven't used the old hold mode for a while now but I'm pretty sure it used to engage very easily after light braking.

After a year and a half of using "creep" mode (I have to do a lot of low speed maneuvering) I fully expected to try "hold" for a day or two then switch back immediately.

I'm pleasantly surprised to say I quickly adapted and would probably turn creep on for somebody else test driving the car so it feels like a normal automatic transmission! One pedal driving FTW!

Reactions: willow_hiller
I had assumed that come Friday night, charging would revert to normal
and the car would start charging as soon as it was plugged in.

I have scheduled charging at home set for weekdays only set for departure at 6:45AM. When I got home Friday night, it showed that schedule, but said that charging would start at midnight, which it did.

When I plugged it in today, it started charging right away.

So, I believe when I have it set for weekdays only, on Friday, it will wait until midnight (Saturday) and start charging right away and will charge at any time over the weekend.

I am curious to see what happens on Sunday. My guess is that it will charge if I have it plugged in until it hits my target charge. Then it will start to do a scheduled departure for Monday morning.

As I long as I know what will happen, I can plan accordingly.

When I am in the left lane and there are any cones to the left, even if on the shoulder, I get a requested lane change on NOA. The screen says Changing lanes away from cones.

This may be desired behavior with cones on side of road on NOA, but it seems it could do with a tweak to judge distance from cones and whether they are converging. I had this happen numerous times when even a few cones that are far from the left lane would cause NOA to want to do a lane change when it would have been OK to remain in the lane.

I have been enjoying using the auto lane change recently since the behavior is much better in the latest releases and so when I cancel the request change a few times in a row when it has initiated the turn signal, people behind me I am sure think I am schizophrenic. (Sorry for quality of the video).

I have scheduled charging at home set for weekdays only set for departure at 6:45AM. When I got home Friday night, it showed that schedule, but said that charging would start at midnight, which it did.

So, I believe when I have it set for weekdays only, on Friday, it will wait until midnight (Saturday) and start charging right away and will charge at any time over the weekend.

I am curious to see what happens on Sunday. My guess is that it will charge if I have it plugged in until it hits my target charge. Then it will start to do a scheduled departure for Monday morning.

I am pretty sure it isn’t supposed to start charging when you plug it in when using scheduled departure.

I think you are right about midnight
My Friday night charging failure might have been a glitch.
Car charged at any time Saturday through to Sunday night, I checked it after midnight Sunday
and it's scheduled to start charging 5:25am

Last edited:
Reactions: HighZ

My Model 3 mirrored what yours did, I have it set for "Weekdays" only for Scheduled charging. On Saturday, when I plugged it in, it immediately started charging to my set percentage. On Sunday, it charged as soon as I plugged it in, which makes sense because a Time of Use electricity plan usually has off-peak pricing on the weekend (mine does).

This morning (Monday) it was warmed up, ready to go at my Scheduled Departure time.

During the week, with scheduled departure, does it not charge until 5AM or so to get the car set for you at 6:45 when you leave? All the calculations are done for you?

My Model 3 mirrored what yours did, I have it set for "Weekdays" only for Scheduled charging. On Saturday, when I plugged it in, it immediately started charging to my set percentage. On Sunday, it charged as soon as I plugged it in, which makes sense because a Time of Use electricity plan usually has off-peak pricing on the weekend (mine does).

This morning (Monday) it was warmed up, ready to go at my Scheduled Departure time.

During the week, with scheduled departure, does it not charge until 5AM or so to get the car set for you at 6:45 when you leave? All the calculations are done for you?
Yes, I have it set for departure at 8:30 so it's all charged up by 6am. (Tesla says it assumes a Time of Use plan starts charging higher prices at 6am. Mine doesn't but that's fine.

Last night when I went to bed, the Tesla app on my phone said, "Scheduled Charging - will start at 1:30am" or something similar, so it calculates it for you.

It was warm and ready to go at 8:30.

Reactions: UltralightBeam