Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems vanishingly unlikely. HW2.5 does what was promised for EAP. You only get HW3 if you pay for FSD because Tesla promised that the car would have all the necessary hardware for FSD (defined at that time as being capable of operating as a robotaxi).

Impressive. My point was that if the display does not show them, how do I know the car sees them? But this is very nice. Thanks for posting that link. I haven't been on the site for while and only look at electrek when somebody posts a link to them about something that looks interesting.

I purchased EVERYTHING when I bought my P3D. FSD and EAP and everything Tesla offered....so....I'm thinking I will get HW3 some kind of way.

Looks like I will be visiting the Service Center sometime soon.

I purchased EVERYTHING when I bought my P3D. FSD and EAP and everything Tesla offered....so....I'm thinking I will get HW3 some kind of way.

Looks like I will be visiting the Service Center sometime soon.

Yes. You should get HW3 one way or another. And if you still have your car in a few years, you should get HW4 as well, if I am right in thinking that even HW3 will not be sufficient for true (robotaxi capable) FSD.

Do the people who purchased FSD have any features yet (other than cones showing up on the screen) that EAP cars don't have? I was not on the site for a while, and I'm wondering when the people who paid for FSD will actually get anything for it.

If you paid for FSD you get HW3. Period full stop.

None of the other stuff you bought matters- a base-model 35k tesla that added FSD gets it same as you do.

You aren't likely to get it RIGHT NOW though as they appear to be doing upgrades by specific VIN and, thusfar, in relatively small numbers.

You should set up a service appointment in the app before hand. Save yourself a trip.

Well...I tried, but I already have a service appointment scheduled.....and I can't add another issue on top of the one I have.

Both tones on my horn stopped.....I need a horn for safety. So....as long as nothing else brakes I can open up another service appointment when this one is over.

Yes. You should get HW3 one way or another. And if you still have your car in a few years, you should get HW4 as well, if I am right in thinking that even HW3 will not be sufficient for true (robotaxi capable) FSD.

Do the people who purchased FSD have any features yet (other than cones showing up on the screen) that EAP cars don't have? I was not on the site for a while, and I'm wondering when the people who paid for FSD will actually get anything for it.

HW4?

Is Tesla already talking about HW4?

If you paid for FSD you get HW3. Period full stop.

None of the other stuff you bought matters- a base-model 35k tesla that added FSD gets it same as you do.

You aren't likely to get it RIGHT NOW though as they appear to be doing upgrades by specific VIN and, thusfar, in relatively small numbers.
I asked a Tesla mobile technician (while he was here at my home today) about when I could get HW3.

He explained that until Tesla can make the software such that it is "push one button" when swapping out 2.5 for 3.0, the whole process will be in dribs and drabs.

Sort of like swapping a mechanical hard drive out of a laptop for a solid state drive......you can't just swap out 2.5 and expect "your car" to be "your car" when 3.0 is installed.......a bunch of behind the scenes techno/software stuff dealing with serial numbers and VINs and the like.

HW4?

Is Tesla already talking about HW4?

Tesla said that HW2 was adequate. Then it said HW2.5 was adequate. Then it acknowledged that HW2.5 cannot run the software that will be needed (which doesn't yet exist) for FSD, but that HW3 will be adequate.

It is just my personal opinion that true FSD will run on HW5 or HW6.

It was mentioned during autonomy day, but they suggested it was at least 2 years away at the time

Really??? I thought it was just my own opinion that HW3 will not be adequate for true FSD (robotaxi-capable as originally promised). I didn't realize that Tesla had ever admitted that HW4 was already in the works.

Really??? I thought it was just my own opinion that HW3 will not be adequate for true FSD (robotaxi-capable as originally promised). I didn't realize that Tesla had ever admitted that HW4 was already in the works.

Yes really- though to be fair they weren't clear that HW4 would be necessary- the only things he says are it's about 2 years out, and will be "about 3 times better" but it's unclear what he means... the immediate previous discussion to that was about power consumption, so possibly that's what he's talking about- not that it'll be 3x as powerful but it'll be comparably powerful for 1/3rd the consumption.... (as they had just pointed out computer consumption can have a significant negative impact on range especially for robotaxi use).

Now, all that said- I think it's part of why they redefined FSD the way they did.

Anybody who bought before the Feb 2019 switch was promised basically L5 driving- so they would have a reasonable case for getting all future HW upgrades free until that is delivered even if it requires HW4 or more.

While FSD post-Feb-2019 is promising a much more limited guaranteed feature set, that HW3 alone might well handle without issue.