Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... It could very well be that the cars experiencing the ping pong most are those with older 2.5 hw while the models were built assuming 3.0?

Mine is 2.5 and on 40.2.1 ... sadly, it reminds of simple lane keep tech range rover/land rovers have. Before 40.x, I used it with confidence. I hope they simply missed a weight or something that they can soon revert back to.

really disappointing. You can tell where they’re at in development by how bad the object recognition has been.
I really want a FSD refund.

You must be kidding. In what way does a dwarf on a bike call for different treatment from a Cone?

I suspect the people not detecting the ping-pong behavior are similar to the people that thought (think) auto wipers were amazing.

Suspect away. Maybe some of us are just luckier than others ;-) So far, no ping-ponging on mine. Of course there's always tomorrow.

Last edited:
I always done it with all doors and trunks closed, no charge connection, you know, snug as a turnip about to be shipped off to Mars. If the car senses anything that might require its attention or intellect, it won't shut down all the way.
It probably doesn't make a difference but I never sit in the car during the upgrade or interrupt charging to start the upgrade. I just figure best to minimize as many variables as possible. Never had a problem but I've probably jinxed myself now mentioning this.

really disappointing. You can tell where they’re at in development by how bad the object recognition has been.

I really want a FSD refund.[

I really want a FSD refund.

They should offer up the performance model software for those of us with the LR AWD with FSD that aren't (and won't for a while) getting what we were led to believe we were getting by their marketing efforts. I'd make that trade. A refund would also work.

FWIW, I don't get ping ponging; new lane changing is great; I get the phantom hard braking on the highway for no apparent reason; traffic cones are often missed and/or other objects are mistaken for cones; stop sign/red light warnings don't work. HW3; 40.2.

They should offer up the performance model software for those of us with the LR AWD with FSD that aren't (and won't for a while) getting what we were led to believe we were getting by their marketing efforts. I'd make that trade. A refund would also work.

FWIW, I don't get ping ponging; new lane changing is great; I get the phantom hard braking on the highway for no apparent reason; traffic cones are often missed and/or other objects are mistaken for cones; stop sign/red light warnings don't work. HW3; 40.2.
How are you trying to test the stop light and stop sign? I’ve found most are just doing it wrong. I’ve been able to trigger it pretty much each time

It probably doesn't make a difference but I never sit in the car during the upgrade or interrupt charging to start the upgrade. I just figure best to minimize as many variables as possible. Never had a problem but I've probably jinxed myself now mentioning this.
You're talking about a different thing - the OP is talking about sitting in the car during a power down reboot, which isn't the same thing as sitting in it during an update. The former is a good idea, the latter not so much.

You're talking about a different thing - the OP is talking about sitting in the car during a power down reboot, which isn't the same thing as sitting in it during an update. The former is a good idea, the latter not so much.
I understood that but simply wanted to add another data point related to updates. 1) I never sit in the car during an upgrade and 2) do a full reboot after the upgrade as the OP mentioned. Combined you have less risk associated with upgrades IMO. Nothing scientific just good practices. Maybe I've been fortunate, or even lucky but have a fairly low VIN and have never had an update problem in almost 2 years.