Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to notes, only autosteer needs to be active. Thus, anyone with enhanced autopilot should have this feature.
Help me understand this. Why does the new stop sign warning (and the older red light warning) only work when on Autosteer? I mean, if you're about to run a stop sign, you're about to run a stop sign, regardless whether it's you or the car that's steering at the moment. I'm missing some logic here.

Even that's not an exception. That is, the law requires you to stop before making a right-on-red. And anyway, if the right turn indicator is on, well, there ya go.
It's not quite that simple though. Not all intersections allow right-on-red. You also must stop for stop signs, even if you're turning right (and I would bet one actual dollar that the light and sign detection is the same code). Right-on-red (and indeed, left-on-red; I asked) is not a thing in some right-hand-drive countries. Some states require a full stop; some allow you to proceed without stopping if it is safe to do so. What about turning right from the middle lane? An obtuse left at a five-corner intersection?

• Informative
Reactions: joelliot
So what happens when you get a notification for the update and you go through the process to download but then after it reboots, you are back at the same version?

Was on 36.2.1, got an update for 40.2.1, after update, I got release notes for 36.2.1?

I tried a reboot but still at the same version.

The way they introduced the stop sign feature makes sense to me. They need to get the feature out to collect data in the form of some reinforcement of their ability to detect correctly. They want to use large data sets to improve the models, specifically drive up the accuracy. They don’t want it false firing all the time if the feature included auto breaking/stopping. However a warning is a lot less dangerous if phantom complete stopping occurs by error!! With the warning, If people then stop you get confirmation feedback data, if they don’t stop you get confirmation data it falsely recognized the stop sign.

All of this is what you could do for a few weeks to collect data without killing anyone. Then when good enough change the feature to also include an option to be enabled in autopilot for auto breaking also.

In the end this is an auto pilot feature, just like staying in the lanes while driving. Given their approach previously I would never expect this capability outside of AP (someone above thought it was unusual it was tied to AP so sharing a counter opinion).

just seems like a logical path to introduce a feature like this, but that is just how I see it. Realize there are different ways to skin the cat.

Hi All,

For those interested I just got 2019.40.2 on my 2020 SR+

I guess I'm playing catch up with features. I have the 5% power boost the rest of you guys got earlier. Now I have the supercharger increase to 170KW

Keeps. Getting. Better.

Attachments

• IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I really hope that these adjacent lane speed feature is optional. It's dangerous enough when cars are on an on ramp in the process of speeding up, you're passing at a higher rate of speed so they will normally end up merging well behind you but the auto pilot decides to slam on its brakes to let them in front of you.

Help me understand this. Why does the new stop sign warning (and the older red light warning) only work when on Autosteer? I mean, if you're about to run a stop sign, you're about to run a stop sign, regardless whether it's you or the car that's steering at the moment. I'm missing some logic here.

I think it's because the stop light/ sign detection is part of their full self driving plans and not part of what Tesla wants people to lean on as a drivers assist feature when they are driving the car. They trust that when people are driving the car they are looking for the stop signs+lights. But in order for the car to become completely autonomous the car needs to recognize it on its own. So they only program it for when the car is driving.

Reactions: Helmuth
Hi All,

For those interested I just got 2019.40.2 on my 2020 SR+

I guess I'm playing catch up with features. I have the 5% power boost the rest of you guys got earlier. Now I have the supercharger increase to 170KW

Keeps. Getting. Better.

That’s awesome, I am interested to see how fast my 19’ sr+ will SC since currently I have seen it go as fast as 457 miles per hour
Just got 2019.36.2.4 last night
Do you have FSD?

Well I have been testing it and the stop light detection works and it’s easy to trigger it. Only thing is it cuts AP off and sometimes it won’t come until the next drive. But it is cool to see it know a stop sign. They have been testing this in shadow mode. 2019.40.1.1 was for sure testing stop sign detection in shadow mode for sure.

Because when you are on autosteer and not actively controlling the car, it *knows* you'll run the light/sign. If it did this all the time it would be super annoying. How would it know you were or were not going to stop? This would quickly lead to lots of positives.

This is similar to when the blind spot collision warning came out and there were those who were upset it didn't ALWAYS warn you when someone was in your blind spot. That would super annoying too - can you imagine it beeping at you every time there was a car next to you when your blinker was on? Similar thing, I think.