Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is entirely normal. New updates are pushed to a small percentage of cars and then a week or two later, based on what is found with that test group, a wide release to all cars happens where everyone gets it in a period of a few days (and youtube videos pop up asking gullible people to "press advanced 5 times!!!!" when it's just the patch is in wide release finally)

To be fair, this release went out to a LOT more people than normal before it stalled. Either way, yep. :D

Has anyone been able to confirm if this is for FSD owners only? These seem like safety additions (at least identifying a stop sign/traffic light and the "attempt" to stop for them) which would make me think any car should get them. I'm kinda confused to how AP might work... Obviously the stop at stop sign or traffic light would be FSD features, but, someone could just activate AP and then wait till the absolute last second and see if AP would engage the stop as a "safety feature." If these features just didn't work at all when AP was engaged then it would actually be less safe then when a human was driving (think if automatic emergency braking didn't work during AP usage, etc)

This is going to get into a REALLY interesting forking between standard AP and FSD. A lot of these features will be looked at as directly relating to the safety of operating the vehicle, which Musk has always said will be included in his cars. But AP in the city has always been looked at as a FSD only upcoming feature... I wonder if they'll try to start geofencing AP to just highway or interstate routes so you won't be able to enable it on city roads unless you have FSD...

Has anyone been able to confirm if this is for FSD owners only? These seem like safety additions (at least identifying a stop sign/traffic light and the "attempt" to stop for them) which would make me think any car should get them. I'm kinda confused to how AP might work... Obviously the stop at stop sign or traffic light would be FSD features, but, someone could just activate AP and then wait till the absolute last second and see if AP would engage the stop as a "safety feature." If these features just didn't work at all when AP was engaged then it would actually be less safe then when a human was driving (think if automatic emergency braking didn't work during AP usage, etc)

The current feature doesn't make any attempt to stop at a stop sign/red stoplight. It will only try to warn you that you should stop.

Just installed 40.2.1 (quite unexpected for me since I just got 36.2.4 a few days ago and usually get the more Teslafi common version only by the time it hits 30-40%).

did some test drives tonight. With EAP on, stop sign detection gave warning if I didn’t brake but not early enough to avoid slamming brakes at the posted speed limit. Stop light detection warned early enough that I could apply brakes and slow down without slamming brakes.

I did experience some odd behavior when engaged EAP where it thought I was off the road and tried to take me onto the shoulder just as I was engaging EAP but then warned to take control. All of this happened within 1-2 seconds. I couldn’t reproduce it with EAP again after a good 5-6 attempts.

M3 LR + FSD + HW2.5 + 2019.40.2.1

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
Pretty sure that this will release out to the masses...

No forks.... Just some might not get all the features...

Wouldn’t warning about a stop sign or red light be a safety feature? Once it advances to auto stop at those... wouldn’t that be a safety feature as well? (Even if it’s slightly modified to disengage AP once stopped).

Identification and auto stop both seem like FSD type of features, but because of their safety benefits they also seem like something every Tesla can do...

(Think about Tesla being able to say none of their cars run a red light or stop sign!)

Wouldn’t warning about a stop sign or red light be a safety feature? Once it advances to auto stop at those... wouldn’t that be a safety feature as well? (Even if it’s slightly modified to disengage AP once stopped).

Identification and auto stop both seem like FSD type of features, but because of their safety benefits they also seem like something every Tesla can do...

(Think about Tesla being able to say none of their cars run a red light or stop sign!)

I can see the warnings coming to people without FSD eventually, but probably not stopping, which would only happen when you are on Autosteer. (My guess is once FSD rolls out that Autosteer will be limited to the freeway systems for people that haven't purchased AP.)

I can see the warnings coming to people without FSD eventually, but probably not stopping, which would only happen when you are on Autosteer. (My guess is once FSD rolls out that Autosteer will be limited to the freeway systems for people that haven't purchased AP.)

Not stopping would kind of go against Musk’s idea that safety features would come to all cars. I could see where auto stop happens for everyone, but will disengage AP (so it acts more as an emergency stop) when doing so... and that’s if AP is not geofenced to just freeways, which would be annoying for current owners.

Not stopping would kind of go against Musk’s idea that safety features would come to all cars. I could see where auto stop happens for everyone, but will disengage AP (so it acts more as an emergency stop) when doing so... and that’s if AP is not geofenced to just freeways, which would be annoying for current owners.

I agree, if they continue to allow Autosteer on city streets it will probably stop automatically, when Autosteer is active, but as a panic/emergency stop with lots of bells and alarms. Where if you purchased FSD it would graceful stop and then continue when appropriate. If they don't geofence Autosteer I don't think FSD will offer enough value for most people.

Reactions: joelliot
I agree, if they continue to allow Autosteer on city streets it will probably stop automatically, when Autosteer is active, but as a panic/emergency stop with lots of bells and alarms. Where if you purchased FSD it would graceful stop and then continue when appropriate. If they don't geofence Autosteer I don't think FSD will offer enough value for most people.

I tend to agree. They could do something like AEB where the car slams on the brakes at the last minute. No one would us It to stop on a regular basis and it probably would not stop completely in all cases just like AEB