Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got 40.2 last night- the lane changes are better, etc...already covered.

But one thing that appears new I hadn't seen mention of.

This morning I got a message about my driver side door pilar camera being blocked or blinded and thus limited function and maybe I should clean it or something.

I occasionally see the limited features due to camera visibility maybe once every month or two....

But it's the first time I ever got a message telling me which specific camera was having visibility issues.

Which is a very welcome change.

(though in this case it was due to the sun shining directly at the camera and it went away as soon as the car changed angle)

Is one only going out to fsd folks due to prioritization, or because it focusses on fsd only features (wipers not withstanding)?
I've had 40.2 for over a week (got it really early) and have HW3/FSD (June build M3 LR AWD). Didn't receive 40.2.1. Mobile service was out yesterday to change my charging port and pushed new firmware, which ended up being the same as I had, 40.2. So, I conclude, 40.2.1 is for some specific configuration that is not what I have

So. New wipers are better. But the wipers obviously could not wipe the water droplets off the camera , so when I got into a parking garage , the wipers kept going and had to manually turn them off.

First couple tests of purposely rolling through stop signs on AP slowly were a fail.

NoA is very aggressive. But I need to test this out more. Merges were very jerky. Unsafe.

Reminds me of...
Mythbusters running in the rain - mythbusters running in the rain - Google Search
Mythbusters driving in the rain
Yeah exactly, I had seen that and agree. Common sense, really.

What is a sprinkle at low speeds and requires low speed intermittent wipers, is visually impairing and requires constant wipers at high speeds. The system should know this and should also know that rain doesn't necessarily go away quickly, If I have wipers on low at 20mph and I suddenly go to 60mph (get on a highway, you know, common thing?) it should automagically up the rates of the wipers regardless of what it thinks it sees. It can readjust later.

I can't tell you how many times I've merged onto highways cursing at the wipers not letting me see or having to futz with this while accelerating and merging into traffic. And no the answer is not FSD either. :)

• Love
Reactions: Char
Prior to this update I liked the fact that the AP would slow down before entering a tight turn, looks like that is now gone.

There is this tight turn that the ideal speed is about 35 mph on a 40 mph speed limit road. Now the AP enter the turn at full set AP speed (42mph) and then it panics and shows down in the middle of the turn.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Prior to this update I liked the fact that the AP would slow down before entering a tight turn, looks like that is now gone.

There is this tight turn that the ideal speed is about 35 mph on a 40 mph speed limit road. Now the AP enter the turn at full set AP speed (42mph) and then it panics and shows down in the middle of the turn.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I know it was already asked before but now I'm curious. Has anyone that got the 40.2 update subsequently got updated to 40.2.1? I'm wondering if there is some sort of A/B testing going on where a bunch of people get 40.2 and a bunch got 40.2.1 and then Tesla reviews data to see which is working better.

I got 40.2.1 offer this morning and ran into some strange behavior when installing. I drove to lunch and then used the in-car menu to install while I ate. Triple-tapped the button to skip the count down. Got out and ate lunch. Half-way through lunch, I opened the app to check the progress and it didn't indicate it was installing at all! I used the app to install, but it wouldn't install....it just spin the little icon and came back. After lunch, went to the car and it WAS updating? Maybe? Got in the car, black screen for about 3 minutes, then Telsa logo. Then it showed the green download arrow (indicating download was avail). Strange, because it already had downloaded. I didn't have time to try again and as I put it in DRIVE, the release notes popped up...So 40.2.1 did get installed, but quite strange. I did also confirm that the auto lane changes are far more confident and I love it.

@insaneoctane You prob had Sentry mode on. It wont install till you turn it off.

Last edited:
I know it was already asked before but now I'm curious. Has anyone that got the 40.2 update subsequently got updated to 40.2.1? I'm wondering if there is some sort of A/B testing going on where a bunch of people get 40.2 and a bunch got 40.2.1 and then Tesla reviews data to see which is working better.
One of our model 3s was on 40.1.1 for a while then went to 40.2. And hasn’t move since. The other went from 36.2.4 to 40.2.1. I’ve seen a few model S and X go from 40.2 to 40.2.1 but no 3s yet that I have seen

So. New wipers are better. But the wipers obviously could not wipe the water droplets off the camera , so when I got into a parking garage , the wipers kept going and had to manually turn them off.

First couple tests of purposely rolling through stop signs on AP slowly were a fail.

NoA is very aggressive. But I need to test this out more. Merges were very jerky. Unsafe.

What do you mean by the bolded statement. Your wipers should be wiping the camera area, otherwise it would never work.

One of our model 3s was on 40.1.1 for a while then went to 40.2. And hasn’t move since. The other went from 36.2.4 to 40.2.1. I’ve seen a few model S and X go from 40.2 to 40.2.1 but no 3s yet that I have seen

Interesting! I wish I had a way to measure how much data my car was uploading to the Tesla mothership every night but sadly my router does not record anything other than instantaneous upload bandwidth. If I had to bet, I'd say that they are tasking 40.2 and 40.2.1 cars with a lot of data capture requests to see how whatever differences between the two are behaving. Kinda like when you go to the eye doctor and they say "which is better, one or two?" and you can't even see a difference haha.

Interesting! I wish I had a way to measure how much data my car was uploading to the Tesla mothership every night but sadly my router does not record anything other than instantaneous upload bandwidth. If I had to bet, I'd say that they are tasking 40.2 and 40.2.1 cars with a lot of data capture requests to see how whatever differences between the two are behaving. Kinda like when you go to the eye doctor and they say "which is better, one or two?" and you can't even see a difference haha.
Hahaha probably so. I will note that the HW2.5 car is on 40.2 and the HW3 is on 40.2.1. But If I’m not mistaken, FSD is pretty much feature complete in some way. It can now detect SOME stop signs and SOME street lights, it’s doesn’t act on them yet but all the feature for the most part are there. And before end of year. Hmmmm wonder if we will see one more update with FSD IN LIMITED functionality

TeslaFI.COM progress -- 3:30pm CT
Hrx1Y6n.jpg