Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went back and tried a Stop sign alert that failed the first time when other Stop signs alerts worked fine.
Turns out this Stop sign is a good 10 feet in front of the intersection and even though I'd gone past the Stop Sign I hadn't gotten close enough to the intersection to trigger the alert. Once a rolled closer it worked fine. Hwd- 2.5
The other improvement I've noticed is handling tight exit ramps is improved.

Auto lane changes (using turn signal stalk) works amazingly well just like a human driver. Best feature from this update!
I very much agree. It appears to be monitoring the adjacent lanes so that when you indicate you need to change, it already knows if there is an opening. If there is, the lane change happens immediately. No more of the delayed "checking" before making a decision.

I did have one today where it falsely aborted a lane change because the lane two lanes over was in stop-and-go traffic. Even though the lane I wanted to change into was moving fine (it was an interchange exit) the car moved halfway into the new lane, then aborted and immediately moved back into the original lane.

Like everyone is saying. Swaying back and forth heavily but great lane changes. I haven’t had an abort yet like previous versions. Even with the little bump things we have here in Vegas on the highways, they usually make the car abort but it’s been bitter smooth since this update.

Also appreciating the faster charge rate for us SR+ owners

Can someone clarify which features require paid FSD, which require paid FSD+HW3 installed, and which work with only EAP and HW 2.5?

I have the latter; curious if this firmware will give me the adjacent lane speed adjustment, stop sign recognition, etc. or if I’ll only get improved lane change. Having trouble finding this info. Thanks!

Can someone clarify which features require paid FSD, which require paid FSD+HW3 installed, and which work with only EAP and HW 2.5?

I have the latter; curious if this firmware will give me the adjacent lane speed adjustment, stop sign recognition, etc. or if I’ll only get improved lane change. Having trouble finding this info. Thanks!

I can't confirm on the FSD but I have AP+HW 3.0 and with the new update I get the lane speed adjustment. I didn't recognize any stop signs, but my guess that's and FSD option.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I am exulted to say that this version fixes the voice command for playing music for me!

The feature was broken when Spotify was added as a source in V10.

Sorry if this is a repost... didn’t read through all the posts... so excited and just wanted to get the word out!

Currently there is no difference between EAP and FSD at all. It is expected the first actual FSD-only features will roll out to at least a handfull of early access people by end of this year, but likely not "regular" folks until sometime (unknown when) next year.... stuff like actually stopping at red lights, stop signs, and in-city AP driving.

For post-Feb-2018 folks who only have "basic" AP they get TACC and autosteer, and nothing else. Everything beyond that requires FSD.

The only difference between HW3 and HW2.5 currently is HW3 displays traffic cones (regardless of having FSD or not).

Note 2.5 still sees and reacts to them- it just doesn't display them.

I received this update a couple of nights ago and I cannot seem to get satellite view maps anymore, just the regular road maps. I still see traffic data on the map but I thought the toggle button was somewhere on the right side of the screen.

I received this update a couple of nights ago and I cannot seem to get satellite view maps anymore, just the regular road maps. I still see traffic data on the map but I thought the toggle button was somewhere on the right side of the screen.

It might take a few hours at least to change in your vehicle. The day of release it took 12+hrs for me to have the switch.

Tap the screen once so the Supercharger icon shows up, then you’ll see the Globe icon and a Traffic signal light. Those are your satellite view and traffic toggles

Reactions: InfinitiGuy
Has anyone who received the update earlier on and has had a chance to use it over a more extended period of time noticed any gradual improvement with lane ping pong? I've had updates in the past where it has been initially sketchy, but 'learned' or resolved over time.

I do not have FSD and I have confirmed that my car does all of those things except for NoA and Summon which are the only FSD only things right now.

My car now drives kind of drunk at high speed and has lurchy behavior at low speed in slow and go traffic.

The car now does a million little accel/decel actions when a simple coasting would have sufficed. It was sort of like this before but has been amplified with this firmware. I tried chill mode but it made no difference.

Laterally the car moves side to side in a wobbly way that it didn’t on the previous firmware. It’s almost like it’s repeatedly trying to find apexes in gentle corners and keeps overshooting them.

The new lane changes are absolutely incredible.

Has anyone who received the update earlier on and has had a chance to use it over a more extended period of time noticed any gradual improvement with lane ping pong? I've had updates in the past where it has been initially sketchy, but 'learned' or resolved over time.

I haven’t really experienced any “ping pong” but I also don’t use AP for freeway driving all that much so maybe that’s why.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
I do not have FSD and I have confirmed that my car does all of those things except for NoA and Summon which are the only FSD only things right now.

That's not true.

There's 2 situations with driver assist options, neither of which fits what you describe:

EAP- In which case adding FSD adds nothing right now. EAP includes all of it.

The new post-Feb-2019 basic AP- In which case you have no features other than TACC and Autosteer. everything else (NoA, summon, auto-park, auto-lane change) require FSD.

So the only way your car can do everything he listed (which included lane changing) if you don't have FSD is if you have EAP. And if you have EAP you also would have summon and NoA.

• Informative
Reactions: focher
Received this new firmware yesterday and had a chance to try Auto Lane Change a few times. Wow, significant improvement! Activate turn signal, if adjacent lane is clear car almost immediately starts moving into the new lane, and the time it takes to move into the new lane is dramatically decreased. The whole operation happens so quickly it’s truly amazing.

Auto Steer seems the same to me as the previous few versions; very smooth, continues to be noticeably better than my 2017 X100D HW2 car.

Note: my Model 3 has EAP (not FSD) and is a HW2.5 vehicle.

Now I wish it would rain so I could try out Auto Wipers (I never received 40.1).

Always wondered if the cameras were being recalibrated after some updates, since there seem to be so many complaints after some updates. Likewise range drop, after some updates, as if the BMS had to start over, after losing its place.

Reactions: willow_hiller
That's not true.

There's 2 situations with driver assist options, neither of which fits what you describe:

EAP- In which case adding FSD adds nothing right now. EAP includes all of it.

The new post-Feb-2019 basic AP- In which case you have no features other than TACC and Autosteer. everything else (NoA, summon, auto-park, auto-lane change) require FSD.

So the only way your car can do everything he listed (which included lane changing) if you don't have FSD is if you have EAP. And if you have EAP you also would have summon and NoA.

Thanks a bunch - so to be clear, those with EAP / HW 2.5 do get adjacent lane speed reduction? That’s great news if so.

I am curious how much improvement will continue to come to NoA for those with EAP only. The originally-promised feature we were sold was full on ramp to off ramp which isn’t really there yet due to things like this adjacent lane speed issue (now addressed), still not slowing down prior to taking an exit, etc. I just worry that at some point features will fork (traffic cone rendering a worrying sign of this) and require HW3 even though EAP was sold as true on ramp to off ramp...