Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with HW 2.5 and EAP been able to verify the Stop Light Warning? I have verified the Stop Light Warning but have not been able to get the Stop Sign Warning?

I am on 2.5 awaiting 3, I get the stop light warning but it’s not reliable. There are sometimes it seems so obvious it should trigger and it won’t, it did work yesterday when I went through an “amber” light safely and purposefully.

Reactions: jdcollins5
Are you related to Elon? That is a full bs statement and you know it.

Yes, I am basing it on Elon’s definition of FSD. My bet is that once Stop Light/Sign recognition is released, Elon will declare FSD feature complete.so they can declare income.

This is similar to when Smart Summon was released and he declared EAP was feature complete. We all know how many issues remain with Smart Summon.

Yes, I am basing it on Elon’s definition of FSD. My bet is that once Stop Light/Sign recognition is released, Elon will declare FSD feature complete.so they can declare income.

This is similar to when Smart Summon was released and he declared EAP was feature complete. We all know how many issues remain with Smart Summon.
This will likely happen on Elon time of next month; which equates to human time as 1 to 1.5 years.

Also missing:

Understanding what a turn lane is.

Or an intersection.

Or a yield sign.

Or oncoming traffic.

Or cross traffic.

Or speed bumps.

Or roundabouts.

Or being aware of time-restricted speed zones (like around schools).

This list could get pretty long actually...

So basically everything relevant to city streets is missing.

Probably why the manual explicitly points out the system is only intended for use on limited access divided highways huh?

Unless Tesla has been working on a completely secret parallel development program with a whole separate fork of software, I have no idea how they plan on tackling the challenges of city driving any time in the next several years. My car can bumble its way around basic country roads as long as the lanes are well marked and there isn't much going on but I laugh to think about trusting the car to drive downtown without being immediately arrested for the ensuing manslaughter and carnage.

Edit: I think we need to define what it means when folks are talking about using AP in the city currently. It's one thing to let it basically operate like a TACC system that more or less stays in its lane and its another thing entirely to expect the car to just casually drive down Lombard Street with nary an input from the driver.

My car now drives kind of drunk at high speed and has lurchy behavior at low speed in slow and go traffic.

The car now does a million little accel/decel actions when a simple coasting would have sufficed. It was sort of like this before but has been amplified with this firmware. I tried chill mode but it made no difference.

Laterally the car moves side to side in a wobbly way that it didn’t on the previous firmware. It’s almost like it’s repeatedly trying to find apexes in gentle corners and keeps overshooting them.

The new lane changes are absolutely incredible.

This is word for word what I just experienced with this update. Crazy wavy side to side and jerky accel, decel. Love the almost ‘launch’ now from every stop behind traffic but the slowing down is brutal. Wife would hate this. Lame changes truly now are MAD MaXish!
Very sloppy update. Hope it settles down in futures.

Ski

Reactions: mtndrew1
Unless Tesla has been working on a completely secret parallel development program with a whole separate fork of software, I have no idea how they plan on tackling the challenges of city driving any time in the next several years. My car can bumble its way around basic country roads as long as the lanes are well marked and there isn't much going on but I laugh to think about trusting the car to drive downtown without being immediately arrested for the ensuing manslaughter and carnage.

Edit: I think we need to define what it means when folks are talking about using AP in the city currently. It's one thing to let it basically operate like a TACC system that more or less stays in its lane and its another thing entirely to expect the car to just casually drive down Lombard Street with nary an input from the driver.

For me, what I mean by AP in the city is TACC + Autosteer on four lane thoroughfares with divided medians.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Unless Tesla has been working on a completely secret parallel development program with a whole separate fork of software, I have no idea how they plan on tackling the challenges of city driving any time in the next several years.

It's not secret, but it's absolutely a different, parallel, development program.

They discussed this at some length during autonomy day- as part of why you will need the HW3 computer to be able to run this code.

How they have much larger more advanced neutral nets running on servers in the lab- that the HW2.5 computer is incapable of running in the car- but HW3 is

That's why it's so pointless (and so missing the point) to discuss how current AP is or isn't "working" well in situations it's never intended to be working at all.

My car can bumble its way around basic country roads as long as the lanes are well marked and there isn't much going on but I laugh to think about trusting the car to drive downtown without being immediately arrested for the ensuing manslaughter and carnage.

Because it's explicitly not meant to be used there.

The HW3-only FSD code will be

• Disagree
Reactions: KonaRoad and Char
It's perfected to a point where it is doable. but not side streets but you are the rare kind. You are da man that can handle side streets with AP. Bravo to you...

You may want to look up the definition of "perfected" as the way you describe the AP/NoA system 7 words later as "doable" is FAR from labeling something as perfected.

"Understanding AP's limitations" (especially on city streets) is way different than a "Perfected system".

FWIW, I use AP occasionally in the 'burbs, but is way too jerky for me driving in the city. I mostly do it to test to see if there are any improvements to the system after an update.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdcollins5
This is word for word what I just experienced with this update. Crazy wavy side to side and jerky accel, decel. Love the almost ‘launch’ now from every stop behind traffic but the slowing down is brutal. Wife would hate this. Lame changes truly now are MAD MaXish!
Very sloppy update. Hope it settles down in futures.

Ski

Jerky accel, decel can be improved a bit by using chill mode and decreased brake regen. I do this whenever I find myself in stop and go driving.

• Informative
Reactions: S3XY