Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not secret, but it's absolutely a different, parallel, development program.

They discussed this at some length during autonomy day- as part of why you will need the HW3 computer to be able to run this code.

How they have much larger more advanced neutral nets running on servers in the lab- that the HW2.5 computer is incapable of running in the car- but HW3 is

That's why it's so pointless (and so missing the point) to discuss how current AP is or isn't "working" well in situations it's never intended to be working at all.

Fully agree. 20x processing with FSD + dojo behind the scenes + massive growth in video from the M3 fleet = something far beyond today’s AP.

That said, the challenge is so hard that early FSD will be like early AP. Barely usable and dangerous if you fully trust it. But just as with AP, it will get better from there as it learns from fleet deployment.

But maybe I’m just rationalizing my FSD purchase. :)

did a couple tests today. i have eap.

test 1: turn on EAP on road with stop sign
result: AP saw the stop sign and told me to take over immediately, but did not slow down

test 2: turn on EAP behind a car at a stop sign
result: AP treated this as normal freeway stop and go traffic, and ignored the stop sign when it was my turn to stop. no warning to take over.

As I said in my post chill mode made no difference in the jerkiness.

The abrupt accel/decal in slow and go traffic (5-15 MPH) is making me car sick and for the first time in nearly two years I manually drove my car through an hour of traffic because the aggressive (and unnecessary) accel/brake was making me nauseous.

I wasn’t responding to you. I noticed less sudden acceleration in chill mode.

Changing regen helped even more. Try setting regen to “low” and see if that helps.

This is word for word what I just experienced with this update. Crazy wavy side to side and jerky accel, decel. Love the almost ‘launch’ now from every stop behind traffic but the slowing down is brutal. Wife would hate this. Lame changes truly now are MAD MaXish! Very sloppy update. Hope it settles down in futures. Ski
Jerky accel, decel can be improved a bit by using chill mode and decreased brake regen. I do this whenever I find myself in stop and go driving.
As I said in my post chill mode made no difference in the jerkiness.
The abrupt accel/decal in slow and go traffic (5-15 MPH) is making me car sick and for the first time in nearly two years I manually drove my car through an hour of traffic because the aggressive (and unnecessary) accel/brake was making me nauseous.
Re: jerky underlined above

I just did a 250 mile trip today on a mixture of rural roads, major highways, and 25K 'city' driving.
I did notice that the 'adaptive cruise control' aspect of following a car seems a little herky-jerky (or speed up, down, up, down) compared to the car I'm following.
ScanMyTesla data on my '17 X 100D. Obviously speed changed some but the purple HP line gives you and idea that it wasn't smooth and you could feel it.

https://i.imgur.com/hPvYppI.jpg
hPvYppI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2a8WbZC.jpg
2a8WbZC.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Fernand
Yup.. LOTS of reports of this (myself included).

Really hope they push out an update to fix it soon.

Please everyone.. submit a bug report to Tesla!

Are your cars only "slithering" when other cars are nearby? I feel like mine doesn't really do it on an empty road. It seems almost like the car is trying to give wide berth to other cars in adjacent lanes and the effect while you are passing/being passed is that the car is constantly moving to the left and the right which is pretty nauseating.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
Here's my situation:

On a road trip from San Diego to Las Vegas, my 3 year old daughter got carsick due to traffic and this jerky behavior. I turned off autopilot for some of it and slowed down to avoid jerkiness elsewhere. Not quite what I had in mind for a longer autopilot drive. Although I'll say the Supercharger in Vegas made up for it...

Same today for me. Literally turned it off and drove myself for the first time in a long time out of frustration. Lane changes are SWEET tho!

Ski[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Apparently 40.2.1 has the capability to detect stop signs & lights to some degree. Has anyone experienced either, or both, of these features?
Yes, this has been reported by many others but it has always been somewhat difficult to replicate since NoA previous to this update would disengage once you drove slower then 18 mph. Now with the minimum NoA speed reduced to zero it is much safer to very slowly roll into the intersection and see if the alert comes up since it will not stop you. I've only tested with Stop signs and it has worked fine. I'm on hardware 2.5. At one Stop sign I rolled past it without getting the alert but realized the Stop sign was 10 feet before the intersection so I had to keep going to trigger the alert. Haven't tried lights yet.

Have 40.2.1...

Lane changes are nice and quick (finally.)
I had high hopes for NN auto wipers, but ended up being disappointed. They still don't activate when the window is covered with drizzle.
Last night I was surprised when the wipers started with just a light drizzle in the dark. Wiped intermittently every 30-60 seconds depending on the amount of drizzle.
This morning wipers worked fine in a steady rain so at least for me some progress.

My M3 LR RWD HW 2.5 with EAP on and purchased FSD does not recognize stop signs or traffic cones.
With HW 2.5 traffic cones are not visualized. As far as recognizing Stop signs do you have NoA enabled with a speed setting of 5mph or less and then try rolling into the start of the intersection?
My car alerts me to take over only when I'm going into the intersection, not at the actual Stop sign.

It has seemed to me with past updates that the swaying always seems a little worse at first and then gets better. I wonder if there are some kind of dynamic control loop tuning that has to get figured out each time.

(Or perhaps I just get used to it each time)

No, I feel the same. It is this love hate relationship. After the update I get all car sick, and then after awhile I'm back in love with it as it calms down.

Just got my car back from a Turo renter. Hadn’t used autopilot myself since the update since I downloaded it right before their rental. They had never driven a tesla before and said the autopilot felt really insecure and weird even though they loved the car. Took it on the highway just now and sure enough it’s slithering all over the place. I was queasy in about 5 minutes. Reported the bug. Love these upgrades so much but this one certainly seems to be a bit buggy.