Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even more frustrating is that the graphic even shows that the car is moving side to side in the lane so its not like the car isn't perceiving that it is doing this.

Excellent point. That is absolutely true.

Which means that Tesla has to be seeing this.

All it seems to take is one expressway trip and its obvious. Did they not drive this update ( with EAP or FSD - I can't keep up with what they are calling it today ) on the expressway BEFORE releasing it?

Reactions: diezel_dave
i was thinking maybe they put the ping pong in as a way to better detect if your hand was on the wheel? for sure feeling it sway back and forth causes me to try correcting it continually. other thought was perhaps with all the new stoplight and adjacent lane detection going on maybe the computer is hitting some real-time processing constraints (dropping frames or views) and causing the oscillations.

Yeah that swaying back and forth has an affect on me...

Puke.gif

+1

I hope Tesla fixes this quickly.... I had come to trust AP for my daily commute as well as toodling about on local freeways, but now I feel I cannot trust it without constant monitoring and - even then - the oscillations can easily destroy confidence as I ask myself "Since it's acting unpredictably in easy situations like my commute, how will it act in more challenging situations like if the highway curves sharply?".

• Disagree
Reactions: Char
2019.40.2.1 on SR+ w/FSD in Montreal region. Weather has varied from -15degC to 7degC since update with salty/gravel covered roads.

Pros:
- Automatic wiper seem more reactive than before, I guess I'm also teaching the network now.
- Manually-initiated automatic lane changes are a lot more impressive and the "instant turn-in" is awesome
- 170kW (from 100kW) supercharging. Amazing, never expected this at purchase.
- Spotify is stable unlike early V10 releases

Cons:
- Automatic wipers do more random "single swipers", probably due to salt smearing from wipers.
- Autopilot lane keeping is the sketchiest it's been since I picked up my Model 3, last June.
It seems ok when lane lines are very clear but as soon as it looses confidence on one of the lanes it really gets out of hands and seems to overshoot all its targets. Its more reactive and overshoots more. It's like they upped the P in a PID.
It seems to lane offset for more type of large vehicles too and this seems to make it unstable at times.
Overall, very jumpy autopilot that seems change its path too quickly and the oscillations make me nautious.
I really enjoyed 2019.36.2.4 autopilot lane keeping in comparison, it held a smoother path, even when it lost one of the lanes from sight.

it has to know which mans they either added it as a way to see if people are paying attention or most likely the addition of new algorithms for rain and stop light detection and adjacent lane have changed the computational frame rate enough to cause a numeric instability. It could very well be that the cars experiencing the ping pong most are those with older 2.5 hw while the models were built assuming 3.0?

What do you mean by full reset of both computers?

What I always do after an update is

1) do the display computer reboot. Hold both scroll wheels until the logo reappears and then a few seconds more.

Then

2) get ready by disabling wifi and bluetooth on phone, or just go to airplane mode. Then find the Power Down screen button and press it. Don't touch anything or tap pedals or move your butt off the seat for 3+ minutes.

Find something to do for that oh so painful time without internet. Books and knitting work. The car will gradually power down, closing mirrors, heating, radio until it finally sits there like a turnip. Don't do nuthin' to wake it for those minutes. Then tap the Brake and watch it be woke. Do a walk-around and microfiber-wipe all the sensors and cameras. Ready for a test spin.

I'll tell ya, probably that first separate reboot of the display computer is redundant, and it's plausible that the update itself rebooted everything anyway, but FWIW I write real-time control software, I'm not superstitious, and I've avoided many many issues that other people have reported by religiously following this procedure after every update.

What I always do after an update is

1) do the display computer reboot. Hold both scroll wheels until the logo reappears and then a few seconds more.

Then

2) get ready by disabling wifi and bluetooth on phone, or just go to airplane mode. Then find the Power Down screen button and press it. Don't touch anything or tap pedals or move your butt off the seat for 3+ minutes.

Find something to do for that oh so painful time without internet. Books and knitting work. The car will gradually power down, closing mirrors, heating, radio until it finally sits there like a turnip. Don't do nuthin' to wake it for those minutes. Then tap the Brake and watch it be woke. Do a walk-around and microfiber-wipe all the sensors and cameras. Ready for a test spin.

I'll tell ya, probably that first separate reboot of the display computer is redundant, and it's plausible that the update itself rebooted everything anyway, but FWIW I write real-time control software, I'm not superstitious, and I've avoided many many issues that other people have reported by religiously following this procedure after every update.

Do you close all the doors for step 2, or leave at least one open?