Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use 30 mile interval.
Well, it does estimate "SORT OF" but no where near accurate when at cold temperatures. No, 20 f is not cold, 0 f isn't either. -10 f is starting to get cold and -30 f is pretty cold and anything below -40 IS COLD.
The energy app said I would arrive with 21% left after my fourth charge of the day on a long trip at -20 f. I arrived with 1% left, about 2 miles! That is ONLY because I ended up driving at 45 MPH on the interstate and 55 prior. That is not accurate or even sort of accurate. The "Guess - O - Meter in the volt was better, BUT the range in summer was only 65 miles so pretty easy to figure out it was only 41 miles in winter and then the ICE would kick in both before and after.

The estimate is 100% derived from your driving during the selected interval. The app does not measure exterior temperature in determining range. However, temperatures are obviously a factor, along with terrain, etc.

When you first start out in the morning, you’ll need to drive at least five miles to get a current range estimate with interval set to five. For long trips, 30 miles will give a pretty accurate remaining range, all based on history. No guessing involved.

Which funny enough was a good decision on the part of Tesla because a few people seem to be considering buying FSD as a result of seeing the visualizations.

This isn't really surprising at all. It makes complete sense that they would enable the visualizations for everyone, to increase visibility around how far the NN is progressing and to pique the interest of customers who are on the fence about purchasing FSD.

Hmm.. then mine's not working right. Build date of 6/19 so it should be HW3. No toggle switch in Autopilot menu. No visualizations. crappy voice commands. :(

This seems to be a common theme...I keep seeing ppl say they dotn have HW3 with a build date of June even though Elon said every car built since mid April(I think) has it. What model do you have? I think the others I've seen were SR+.

Hmm.. then mine's not working right. Build date of 6/19 so it should be HW3. No toggle switch in Autopilot menu. No visualizations. crappy voice commands. :(

Build date doesn't mean much in this case. I have the exact same build date and I actually looked at the CPU myself in the car and saw that it is HW 2.5. And this is also true of later cars. It's kind of a mixed bag with the consensus here being that if you ordered FSD you had a (much) greater chance of receiving HW3, especially around that date.

This really seems symptomatic of server overload. I don't think Tesla has ever pushed a huge update to the entire fleet at the same time. Add to that the increased processing time and throughput from everyone saying "open glovebox", "set wiper speed to 3" etc.

Very similar things used to happen every time Apple had the yearly iOS update go live. They've gotten better the past few years. Tesla will learn their servers aren't made of Beskar Steel. ;)

Interestingly, I'm still in 2019.40.2.1, and I noticed the voice commands have been *abysmal* for the past couple of days.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
I have HW2.5 with FSD ordered so know I won’t be seeing some of the visualization things. Does look great from YT video by TeslaRaj. Think I saw Elon say 2.5 cars would start getting upgraded Q1 2020. Looking forward to it.

Haven’t tried out the voice commands yet and should test out the Sentry on Honk to see how it captures and if you still want to wait like a minute or two to not cut off the video you want.

We did sit in my car after install to play backgammon. Nicely done.

I just had a run of perfect voice recognition, commands executing, and silly input logically returning "command not recognized". And then, after a few happy minutes, things went back to "car as potato" mode, with nothing at all even recognized. It's as if had used up its limited daily quota of smarts. Maybe it was just sick of opening the glove compartment. It's quite improbable that every raw mic input would have to be uploaded to Tesla servers. Whatever is happening is even more bizarre than that.

So I gave Nicki my credit card data and said it's OK if s/he has to BUY some extra brains at the Olde Traveler's Shoppe, or cop some energy powders, bribe the gnomes, whatever - just do it, m'K?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Well, I think if you use x% of battery by the end of each day, and that number changes dramatically, or requires an unusual need to recharge earlier than normal, most would notice - especially if your cell use is fairly consistent from day-to-day (like using it for work). Anyway, was just a thought...

Another thought - The range drop could be because the estimator is now taking into account your higher HW3 CPU usage; for all the visualizations and voice commands. I think it's only a 100w processor, though I'm not sure what all the cooling and overhead power needs are...

"only a 100w processor?" That's a LOT!

Oh bummer. Then I probably have 2.5. I assume I'd have to take something apart in order to look at the CPU?
Yes but really quite easy - and also mostly useless at this point, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you were simply curious. I'd assure you you don't have HW3 if you have 40.50.1 and don't have the option for the beta visualizations in Autopilot settings.

There isn't a lot of benefit to taking apart the panel just to confirm what we can now see in software... in July when I did the effort there was no difference in software related to hardware and the only way to be sure was looking at part numbers on physical hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
Someone was asking for this before, but over on Tesla Owners Online, there is a thread with a spreadsheet tracking all of the voice commands people discover:

V10.2 Voice Commands List (So Far, Add Ones You Discover) - Tesla Owners Online

EDIT: Here's a direct link to the spreadsheet - mods or others, let me know if this is un-cool rather than just a link to the post

It is ludicrous that owners have to do this, because Tesla hasn't bothered to document the feature properly.

Last edited: