Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Today’s update added new and improved voice commands, as well as, additional visualizations and some games. I’m seeing stop signs, colored street lights, more vehicle shapes BUT...

The voice commands are completely broken. None work, not even the previous commands. I called my local Tesla service center and they are “aware of the problem and working to push out a fix”. He indicated that “some of the cars” were affected.
Definitely my new 2020 M3 LR AWD.
You called the service center over an update that made your voice commands less reliable from previous not so reliable? You are going to end up on Tesla’s naughty list for that call, haha. Like folks that call 911 for a sprained ankle (20 years as a firefighter in Seattle makes one a bit cynical).

I got 50.5 last night and drove it today.
AP is much smoother today, with much less side to side wandering around when passing trucks and other vehicles.

I hope so. Today was the first time I have been able to drive any great length and IMO the ping-pong effect is much worse with 50.1 than the previous version. In addition to PP'ing, during turns on the freeway, I feel the car turn, then turn again, and turn again. It's as though it makes a turn, then thinks things through and make another turn and thinks again, and this turn, turn, turn, while may have worked for the Byrds :p, continues until the road straightens out. This was something that I didn't feel in the previous version, a new issue. It was so annoying that I finally cancelled AP and just used TACC for the rest of my drive.

Great potential, not there yet! :(

• Funny
Reactions: CharleyBC
I hope so. Today was the first time I have been able to drive any great length and IMO the ping-pong effect is much worse with 50.1 than the previous version. In addition to PP'ing, during turns on the freeway, I feel the car turn, then turn again, and turn again. It's as though it makes a turn, then thinks things through and make another turn and thinks again, and this turn, turn, turn, while may have worked for the Byrds :p, continues until the road straightens out. This was something that I didn't feel in the previous version, a new issue. It was so annoying that I finally cancelled AP and just used TACC for the rest of my drive.

Great potential, not there yet! :(
Nice tie-in with the Byrds!

I don’t think I understand your vision. Can you post a sketch?

I think they mean they wish the whole stop light graphic was the color of the light with a gradient. So you see the Stop Light rectangle, and if the light is green, the bottom of the rectangle is fully bright green, and the green lightens to white as it reaches the top of the light, yellow would be super bright yellow in middle gradient going to white at top and bottom, adn red woudl be super bright red at top slowly fading out to white at the bottom, just a more clear/quick visual of the situtaion, instead of the tiny, pea shaped stop light inside the larger rectangle being colored.

This morning, I saw an intersection with 4 lights, 3 were solidly showing red(once I stared at it) and the far right light was changing from red to no light shown. So it is cool so far, but still has work to go.

I also had the issue where the car in front of the car in front of me would appear and disappear every few seconds, this was while the 3 of us were stopped at a stop light, thus no movement of any kind.

P.S. A quick and dirty, trackpad and laptop while laying in bed sketch...Yes it sucks, but I think that is what they were talking about.

Attachments

• skanky.jpg
    skanky.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
it didnt, and i set it to low and back to standard just in case it is a glitch.
One pedal driving was possible but now definetely is not anymore.
Before it felt that between 20 and 50kmh you'd press the brake quite hard.
I noticed this PLUS reduced power overall (RWD LR). It almost seems like they are messing with the traction control sensitivity and trying to smooth that out, which could affect both acceleration and deceleration. With RWD only, I used to be able to kick the tail out a little bit and that's much reduced now (and feels slower).

I just received the 50.5 update. Again another step backward. The 50.1 was really really good, wow. The 50.5 is a step back when it comes to regenerative braking. There is less braking force applied when letting off the accelerator. The car takes a longer distance to slow down. Also when the hold is activated at a stop and then I apply the pedal I hear a clicking sound as the brake is released that I did not hear on 50.1.

I installed the new update yesterday and driving back on I-80 near Sacramento late afternoon on a straight road in the right lane, the autopilot kicked me out repeatedly as the sun was in my face. I was able to re-engage the AP after a slight turn and the sun was off a bit. This has not happened in the past under similar conditions, and I was surprised that it did.

No, it's just that every time there is a software update every random thing that occurs in the universe has origin........Anyway, I'm just playin', don't ever take anything I say seriously. Unless, of course, I'm being serious.........which I seriously doubt will happen.............I'm serious about that........

Last edited:
I wish they'd roll it back a couple of updates. I got 2019.40.50.5 today - visualizations are a bit better (sort of). Voice control works best from the screen. Barely works from the steering wheel.

The visualizations themselves are really making me think twice about FSD. This latest version is more cone-obsessed than ever. I even have seen cones up in the air next to traffic lights. While I think they have trash cans down OK, but the system is severely lacking for visualizing nearby cars. Some clown almost hit me and it didn't even register in the space in front of me.

The visualizations are slow too. When people walk in front of me on crosswalks, what you see on the screen is about 3 seconds behind reality. So you can easily hit a pedestrian and wont see them visualized until after you've hit them. If smart summon is that slow, then I wouldn't want to use it. The field of view for things in front of you is too small. Things tend to move but the car looks straight ahead for objects of concern. What is to your right could easily and quickly walk or roll right in front of you. Cones and trashcans don't move, yet the car sees them (even if they are not there!).

I really want this stuff to work, but these visualizations really are not that impressive if the car depends on then in FSD. I think @dandrewk mentioned that somewhere - that almost all the time is not good enough. It's got to be correct 100% of the time.

I really thought that 2019.40.50.5 would have fixed the voice command. VC is one of my favorite features and it is definitely screwy still. A good voice command system helps fix the (slight) over-reliance on the main screen. You can tell the car to turn the wipers on instead of playing with the screen. Or rather, you used to be able to use voice command. I am not one for texting and driving either. Of biggest concern is that all these visualizations for FSD still put us in the drivers seat as having full responsibility. So, if you summon a car and hit a pedestrian, you lose your shirt (or insurance company does).

I guess these 2019.40.50.X visualizations have done the opposite of intended and made me more cautious of what the car can see.

I've noted that 40.50.5 is really anxious about cones. I drove by three cones on the side of the highway, and NoA turned on the blinker to move away from them.

Yup. Cones - big danger. Pedestrians - who!? (Deer count too!) Oh, and perhaps today was trash pickup day near where I live, but I'd swear the car thought they were invading aliens!

I want to see cars and people - especially ones about to enter my driving space.

I don’t think I understand your vision. Can you post a sketch?
I believe that to build confidence, the car should display both the relevant information from the perceptual layer as well as the decision layer of the system. You may not notice it but it does so today in myriad of places, - for example by showing other cars and lane markings (perception) and coloring the lane dividing line red eg when wanting to lane-change into an occupied spot (visualizing the decision to not cross it).

I like the idea of having the stop lights in animation form because I’d like to have a cursory idea of what the car sees (just like seeing the cars around you). in addition, if in the future the planning/decision of the car says “we should be stopped waiting for a light to be green” , it could display that by having the autopilot “path” (currently always blue) on the centerline of the street red, from the point it crosses the stop line. Like, signaling that “will” the path, but “not yet”