Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
all I'm saying is that, if a reboot is really needed, I'm pretty sure their software system and qa testers would know this, by now. some fixes could be done in-place, but its always so much safer to boot from A, flash new version to B, then boot from B. (ob disc: I have not seen tesla's code or have any knowledge of their internals; I'm just going by what is common in the industry, overall).

a user reboot after a system update (that had its own reboot) seems kind of pointless, but if you are sure it helps, go for it. it can't hurt, that's for sure ;)

Reactions: APotatoGod
Now we got the nubies in, doubting the benefits of the lucky double reboot. OK, well then don't.

Now in my case, voice commands were working great yesterday on .5, now on .7 it's all broken again. I guess nobody really understands what's going on. Maybe the system doesn't want to listen and do stupid tricks no mo'. I can relate. After a while it will probably lose tha attitude and start working again ...
Told me all i need to know when you used the word “lucky”. ie not necessary or required whatsoever.

... strictly empirical, or placebo, or coincidence, or some maybe calibration-related maladies. Or maybe local data massage. But many previous problemitos have cleared after rebooting the screen PC and the control system. So, call it lucky or not ;-)

But since none of the problems that were cleared by rebooting were known to have cleared by not rebooting, the arithmetic suggests it's a fair low effort bet.

Last edited:
Reactions: EchoDelta
The way the VC system malfunctions, still intermittent after two bugfix updates, is very unlucky. And other than the unlikely "servers busy" theory, we don't even have any hypotheses. How about this one: the system needs to deeply massage samples of your recorded utterances to improve recognition. And maybe get some correlation help data from the servers in the sky? But then why has it seemed to work then stop working after a while? Trees of Mystery.

Maybe "open glove box" is an Easter Egg spell, needs to be said X times?

It appears to be that 2019.40.50.1 was where the 2020 Dual Motor charging constants got changed. It would be good to understand whether this has only been observed in 2020 Model 3 (what I would expect) or whether anyone else has seen it. Reports appreciated with exact Model 3 type and year, and software version.

Here is a summary, and if you follow the links you’ll see the pretty clear evidence of the change.

I suspect this is in preparation for a future efficiency update which will actually align the range with the EPA numbers. Currently it is about 2.5% off...or it may be that they never align the displayed rated range with the EPA number (there is no obligation to do so of course, as long as it can travel the rated range).

Summary:
1) Charging constant now changes depending on wheel (18”, 19”, 20”) configuration. Total available energy independent of the wheel choice, of course.
2) Looks like more battery energy (~1.7kWh) is available now vs. prior software. (Appears to be deeper discharge or higher charge.). Or it is possible kWh have been rescaled (I hope not!)
3) Displayed range on new vehicles still short of EPA numbers by 2-2.5%, which implies there may be a future improvement in efficiency coming. This would mean further changes in the charging constant. In wintertime this could instead be a byproduct of cool temperatures so if someone in a 2020 AWD, with 18” wheels selected, with 2019.40.50.x installed, and a warm battery can report their projected 100% charge that would be good.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Tomx17 and Zoomit
2019.40.50.7 downloaded to 100% sat there for an hour, rebooted, redownloaded, waited another hour, rebooted, redownloaded again, waited 45 min, walked away with the hotspot

how long should it take at 100% downloading? previously the longest I had to wait was 15 min before the yellow clock replaced the green arrow

mine was downloaded in 10 minutes and installed in 25.

I’m still getting ping ponged on 50.5. I have to disengage more frequently for fear of getting too close to cars on curved stretches of freeways.

That said, it’s still light years ahead of the cruise system in the Nissan Altima rental car I drove over the holidays. That thing was constantly disengaging, reengaging, and crossing over lane markers. :eek:

I think of it more as snaking from side to side. ping pong suggests abrubt changes in direction but I find it quite gentle. Here's what I experience:
*) If the lane markings are quite narrow and turns are slight, snaking side to side does not happen.
*) As soon as either: the lane markings start to widen OR the road turns more sharply (depends on your speed as to how sharp it needs to be) then you see the "hunting" from side to side behaviour. Note: the lane markings don't have to be super wide, maybe just 2-3x+ width of the car and then the gentle snaking starts (until lane is straight for a while and then I find it settles down).

I've seen this on 2019.40.50.1 and .5. I expect it's the same on all 2019.40.50.* releases since it will surely need a neural net update before we see any change. I think someone else made this analogy earlier in the thread - it's like autopilot has had a drink or two too many.

Activating autopilot is really rough now. I mean the car needs to break while you take your foot off now and the speedup is so delayed after .50.1 I hope they address this in the patch also. Its like the one pedal driving is now clashing with the throttle handover.

And add to your list how will the car eventually handle simple intersections with no lights or stop signs? I have 2 of these right near my house. Stop and look both ways before moving-:)

Oh good one. Forgot about those. I don't see any of this happening until all cars are FSD and can communicate their intentions with each other. Maybe a hand will pop out of a side mirror waving the other car through.

Hey all. I had version 40.50.5 on my Tesla yesterday. I updated today to 40.50.7 and now my Tesla app isn't working correctly, i can't view notifications, i can't view my inbox in my tesla app, and sometimes the app will not even connect to my car at all. So I can't control the car with summon, or set the temp in my car before entering, or see my cars location.
I have had zero issues with the app until this update. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues. Today was also the first time my phone "key" didn't work. I walked up to the car and tried to open it and it didn't unlock for me. The screen inside said I needed to present the key card.

So I've basically had all sorts of fun issues since installing 40.50.7... so to me, this patch feels like a bug update more so than a bug fixing update. Anyone have any similar issues? Or solutions? Please let me know!

My phone app is not working, also for the first time. Exact symptons as Tomx17. I don't think it has anything to do with 40.50.7 as it didn't work before I updated from 40.50.5. My wife's phone works, Galaxy S10, mine doesn't S9. I tried rebooting the phone, uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Still can't login from my phone.

• Informative
Reactions: Tomx17
Now we got the nubies in, doubting the benefits of the lucky double reboot. OK, well then don't.

Now in my case, voice commands were working great yesterday on .5, now on .7 it's all broken again. I guess nobody really understands what's going on. Maybe the system doesn't want to listen and do stupid tricks no mo'. I can relate. After a while it will probably lose tha attitude and start working again ...

same here! My voice commands aren't working as well now too. My main issue is that it's not picking up my voice at all, or as clearly sometimes. I seem to have to talk super loud to be heard... which isn't normal compred to 40.50.5 update. .7 update is pissin' me off! :(

Hey all. I had version 40.50.5 on my Tesla yesterday. I updated today to 40.50.7 and now my Tesla app isn't working correctly, i can't view notifications, i can't view my inbox in my tesla app, and sometimes the app will not even connect to my car at all. So I can't control the car with summon, or set the temp in my car before entering, or see my cars location.
I have had zero issues with the app until this update. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues. Today was also the first time my phone "key" didn't work. I walked up to the car and tried to open it and it didn't unlock for me. The screen inside said I needed to present the key card.

So I've basically had all sorts of fun issues since installing 40.50.7... so to me, this patch feels like a bug update more so than a bug fixing update. Anyone have any similar issues? Or solutions? Please let me know!
It's a server issue on Tesla's end, not the car firmware or app version. Many others (who haven't received the latest software update) are having intermittent app issues currently. I've been having intermittent issues for the last 3 hours. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

Last edited: