Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at teslafi, I wonder what is going on with the rollout of 40.50.7? It seems like it may be stalling as 40.50.5 has been pushed to more cars today than 40.50.7. Anyone know if 40.50.7 was for a specific hardware configuration or something?

How is stop sign and stop light detection working for everyone? My car will visualize them like 100% of the time but I rarely get the warning anymore when I let AP slowly drive through one (safely, of course).
You have to basically be in the process of running the light for it to go off. Per youtube most have had success if you put your car on autopilot and use the scroll wheel to bring the speed to 0 right a stop sign (do not touch the brake or accel), then use the scroll wheel to increase the speed to go through the light/sign without touching a pedal.

This may deserve it's own sidebar thread as I've seen others mention it here but its getting lost in the noise, but I believe since this christmas update, supercharging on my M3 SR+ seems really slow.
I've only started my two supercharging sessions at a lowest of 53% with preconditioning in 30 degree temps. So o don't expect to see the newer 110kwh limit that came with the prior software But twice now and granted it's the same supercharging location each time the max I'm seeing for the charge rate is 24kwh.
When first plugging in the time estimate seems to guesstimate it would charge quicker but just stays at 25 minutes remaining for 5 to 10 minutes.
I was at a v2 charger and not sharing with the stall next to me.

Attachments

• 20200102_074341~2.jpg
    20200102_074341~2.jpg
    780.6 KB · Views: 73
I have noticed that very few are going from 50.1 to 50.7. 50.1s are being upgraded to 50.5. 50.5s are being upgraded to 50.7. Based on that it seems they are incremental. In other words 50.7 builds on 50.5 not replaces it per se.

Oh you may be on to something with that. I read on reddit that someone measured 40.50.7 at only ~86 MB so it may very well need 40.50.5 to be installed first and if people aren't on 40.50.5 yet, that explains why 40.50.7 looks to be stalling out until everyone gets up to 40.50.5. I am on 40.50.5 and 40.50.7 isn't an option to me as of this morning which is a bit weird since I usually get updates a day after they hit wide release.

You have to basically be in the process of running the light for it to go off. Per youtube most have had success if you put your car on autopilot and use the scroll wheel to bring the speed to 0 right a stop sign (do not touch the brake or accel), then use the scroll wheel to increase the speed to go through the light/sign without touching a pedal.

Yes, I am familiar with the trick to get it to trigger and I can get it to do so on what I can only guess are "properly documented/mapped" stop signs/lights but it has never triggered on ones in my neighborhood even though they are displayed on the screen, for example. I guess it isn't confident enough in those detections to display the warning.

Oh you may be on to something with that. I read on reddit that someone measured 40.50.7 at only ~86 MB so it may very well need 40.50.5 to be installed first and if people aren't on 40.50.5 yet, that explains why 40.50.7 looks to be stalling out until everyone gets up to 40.50.5. I am on 40.50.5 and 40.50.7 isn't an option to me as of this morning which is a bit weird since I usually get updates a day after they hit wide release.

I just checked TeslaFi now and see several vehicles reporting updates directly from 2019.40.50.1 to 2019.40.50.7. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some cases of updates requiring a specific version currently installed but those seem to be fairly rare. From my own observations checking on download sizes of updates the update size can vary depending on what version you are upgrading from. If 2019.40.50.5 to 2019.40.50.7 only weighs in around 86MB then it's likely an incremental update specifically from going between those versions. The update package from 50.1 to 50.7 should be a different file that gets downloaded from Tesla.

I just checked TeslaFi now and see several vehicles reporting updates directly from 2019.40.50.1 to 2019.40.50.7. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some cases of updates requiring a specific version currently installed but those seem to be fairly rare. From my own observations checking on download sizes of updates the update size can vary depending on what version you are upgrading from. If 2019.40.50.5 to 2019.40.50.7 only weighs in around 86MB then it's likely an incremental update specifically from going between those versions. The update package from 50.1 to 50.7 should be a different file that gets downloaded from Tesla.

Interesting observation that cars can jump straight from 40.50.1 to 40.50.7. I wonder why the uptake for 40.50.7 has been comparatively slower than to 40.50.5? I would think they would turn off the pipe for 40.50.5 once 40.50.7 is released since there is no reason to waste the bandwidth when people are going to just go to 40.50.7 eventually.

This may deserve it's own sidebar thread as I've seen others mention it here but its getting lost in the noise, but I believe since this christmas update, supercharging on my M3 SR+ seems really slow.
I've only started my two supercharging sessions at a lowest of 53% with preconditioning in 30 degree temps. So o don't expect to see the newer 110kwh limit that came with the prior software But twice now and granted it's the same supercharging location each time the max I'm seeing for the charge rate is 24kwh.
When first plugging in the time estimate seems to guesstimate it would charge quicker but just stays at 25 minutes remaining for 5 to 10 minutes.

I have no data to back this up but I really feel like Tesla has been up to no good with these last few updates regarding battery management. It really feels like they are getting crazy conservative with how they are treating the battery now. It has been in the 40s and I have almost no regen available and oftentimes acceleration is limited as well. It was not like that when I first got the car and it was on an older software version and it was MUCH colder. I have a theory that the low cobalt formulation they went with is starting to bite them in the butt now that they are getting data regarding the battery's performance in the cold and they are pushing out secret changes to the BMS to limit cold-induced degradation. And just in case you didn't know, higher cobalt concentrations help batteries with cold weather performance and vice versa.

• Helpful
Reactions: Eagledon

V2 chargers are variable within a station in my experience. It’s useful to move to a different charge stand if you’re unhappy with the initial charging rate. I’ve found success in parking closest to the transformer. I noticed that other Teslas seem to chose those stations if they are at the supercharger before I get there. I often get more than 100kwh rates with preconditioning at around 30 degrees. And I move stations about 33% of the time... it often works.

I expect V3 station to behave better..

V2 chargers are variable within a station in my experience. It’s useful to move to a different charge stand if you’re unhappy with the initial charging rate. I’ve found success in parking closest to the transformer. I noticed that other Teslas seem to chose those stations if they are at the supercharger before I get there. I often get more than 100kwh rates with preconditioning at around 30 degrees. And I move stations about 33% of the time... it often works.

I expect V3 station to behave better..
Understood and it was two different stalls on two different days. One of which was next to the transformers and this morning no other vehicles were charging at all.
On the prior software I charged much quicker and I'm sorry not exactly an apple's for apple's comparison same location same stall 90+ kwh.

Attachments

• 20191113_072346~4.jpg
    20191113_072346~4.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 60
Understood and it was two different stalls on two different days. One of which was next to the transformers and this morning no other vehicles were charging at all.
On the prior software I charged much quicker and I'm sorry not exactly an apple's for apple's comparison same location same stall 90+ kwh.

I've only supercharged once so I can't speak to that so much but something that is similar as far as rapidly supplying energy to the battery, regen, has really dramatically been reduced lately and like I said, it has actually been warmer than it was on earlier software versions where the regen worked as expected. It feels like they are trying to baby the battery now by limiting power input/output at temperatures that are warmer than I would have expected. My i3 which uses a completely different chemistry is nothing like this under similar conditions.

I've only supercharged once so I can't speak to that so much but something that is similar as far as rapidly supplying energy to the battery, regen, has really dramatically been reduced lately and like I said, it has actually been warmer than it was on earlier software versions where the regen worked as expected. It feels like they are trying to baby the battery now by limiting power input/output at temperatures that are warmer than I would have expected. My i3 which uses a completely different chemistry is nothing like this under similar conditions.
Agreed and that seems to be baked into this software release and or I haven't solved all the variables but I figured by posting here for additional "yeah me toos" would either dispute my findings (I'm nuts) entirely possible or corroborate them.

Last edited:
How is stop sign and stop light detection working for everyone? My car will visualize them like 100% of the time but I rarely get the warning anymore when I let AP slowly drive through one (safely, of course).

I have yet to get a warning to display for me despite trying lots of times, although I admit I have never had the guts to actually go all the way through a stop sign and never stop. But it should have still gone off for me if it were to be useful.

Interesting observation that cars can jump straight from 40.50.1 to 40.50.7. I wonder why the uptake for 40.50.7 has been comparatively slower than to 40.50.5? I would think they would turn off the pipe for 40.50.5 once 40.50.7 is released since there is no reason to waste the bandwidth when people are going to just go to 40.50.7 eventually.

Tesla follows the staggered or staged update release cycle. They will typically release a new version to a small subset of vehicles in their global fleet to see how the update install goes and monitor for any reported anomalies or bugs in those vehicles. The most likely explanation for a specific version not seeing a wide rollout is that Tesla has found an issue to suspend deployment or they're still gathering info on the new version and continue with the slow trickle of pushing the update to a handful of vehicles. Once they are happy with the initial deployment of a version then the fire hose is opened up and we see mass deployment to the global fleet.

This Medium article explains the thinking behind staged software rollouts: The art of staging a rollout

I'm still 'stuck' at 50.5 and continued refreshes/checking the car for new versions is not showing .7

wonder if they put .7 on pause? its been days since .7 was out and I'm not getting it even though I'm 'trying'.

As are most of us. 2019.40.50.7 isn't available to everyone yet. You can't force your car to update to the latest version. You need to wait until your car gets added to the list of vehicles that are eligible for that update. Welcome to the never ending waiting game for the latest update that is Tesla ownership.