Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW today was first day I got to actually drive on .7.... didn't notice any ping ponging (about 75 miles roundtrip to work and back, 90% on NoA/freeways).... voice commands worked 100% of the time (though I only tried it maybe 5 or 6 times apart from what I'm about to mention)

The one weird thing- I was able to receive texts on the display no issue, and it read them to me...

I was able to tap to reply and it went into listening mode- listened- and correctly transcribed what I said... it then told me tap to send, which I did.

But the reply never actually gets sent. Screen goes away, but the reply isn't actually sent anywhere.

If I initiate a voice command and tell it to "text bob" it brings up the voice prompt for the text, correctly transcribes it, and when I tap to send it SENDS it to Bob no issue.

But not if I do it as a reply....where it goes through all the motions but the reply vanishes into nowhere.

In both cases it was via my iphone X (on latest iOS) linked to the car, and to someone else with an iphone, if that matters (like some weird imessage interaction where sending works but reply doesn't)?

• Informative
Reactions: diezel_dave
biggest issue with .5 version is the hold mode doesn't slow / regen as well as it did previously. is closer to how a normal ice car drifts when you take your foot off the gas. i really enjoyed the first couple versions of hold where you could actually drive with one pedal only but now i'm back to having to use the brakes always.

didn't notice any ping ponging (about 75 miles roundtrip to work and back, 90% on NoA/freeways)

Personally I think ping-ponging overstates the degree of this "issue." It's more like the steering wheel feels a bit more twitchy than before as Autosteer does its thing. I haven't found any particularly large deviation in the lane that results.

My voice commands results...have been mixed. Sometimes they work perfectly, sometimes it's like it's not even hearing anything. It just sits there listening patiently and never interprets anything. Other times it is terribly delayed.

For the texts. Need to try again now that my phone is allegedly sharing the notifications and the car slider is set correctly. But haven't seen one come through yet.

For me, the only difference is they have evened out stopping power when rolling to a stop. It's smoother now, but I can see where it would feel like the regen stopping power was reduced. It's not as harsh as before. I think it's a good thing, because it rewards you for letting your foot off the pedal a bit earlier and getting more regen energy as a result.

Personally I think ping-ponging overstates the degree of this "issue." It's more like the steering wheel feels a bit more twitchy than before as Autosteer does its thing. I haven't found any particularly large deviation in the lane that results.

That is the case for me personally. I can 'feel' the wheel going slight back and forth and varying degrees depending on the update. I often wondered if this was programmed in to facilitate the system determining if my hand is on the wheel by generating tension.

That is the case for me personally. I can 'feel' the wheel going slight back and forth and varying degrees depending on the update. I often wondered if this was programmed in to facilitate the system determining if my hand is on the wheel by generating tension.

I can tell you that I don't feel any tugging left or right when going straight. The only time the wheel turns is when it is supposed to.

I am thinking this is a calibration issue. If someone wanted to experiment with doing a factory reset and seeing if it stops the ping pong, that would be a strong indication. Then again, it might have no effect. In any case, this will hopefully be solved in a future update.

I can tell you that I don't feel any tugging left or right when going straight. The only time the wheel turns is when it is supposed to.
The wheel definitely turns left and right (very slightly) and it’s definitely noticeable on how the car drives when going down a straight stretch of road/highway, etc. Not as extreme as it was with the few prior FW; however, noticeable nonetheless.

I’ve haven’t had phantom braking on my commute to work in 3-4 months. With these last 3 updates, autopilots kind of become useless to me. It phantom brakes like crazy. No bridge ahead. Sometimes the speed limit changes from 65 to 30 in the middle of the highway according to autopilot And it brakes hard. Shame. I was so reliant on autopilot to keep me safe after my twelve hour shifts. Now it’s just Rear end liability.

I’ve haven’t had phantom braking on my commute to work in 3-4 months. With these last 3 updates, autopilots kind of become useless to me. It phantom brakes like crazy. No bridge ahead. Sometimes the speed limit changes from 65 to 30 in the middle of the highway according to autopilot And it brakes hard. Shame. I was so reliant on autopilot to keep me safe after my twelve hour shifts. Now it’s just Rear end liability.
Are you reporting this to Tesla? They need to hear this from as many people as possible and multiple times. They should be able to set triggers for these types of events.

Try setting your speed Offset to -20 mph under Autopilot settings.

Mine hardly ever phantom brakes with it set that way. It seems to suppress the speed limit changes which I don’t care about any way because there are more erroneous speeds than correct ones.

I'm on 50.7 and I haven't noticed any sudden braking or auto-steer issues on the main highways (rt101).

I wonder if people are seeing the natural 'servo' (negative feedback and correction algorithm) process, as the car tries to stay centered. if it turns a small amount and the car goes off center, it will correct; but if the correction causes too much error in the other direction, you'll get that kind of left/right/left/right oscillation.

I'd suspect alignment, uneven tire pressure, slant of the road, itself. or that the servo correction alg that tesla is trying is not working with some road types.

for my commute, I have not noticed any steering regressions.

Reactions: electrictorque
Hmm, maybe this issue is related to a slight wheel misalignment? If the car naturally drifts in one direction, the auto steer corrects it, then it wanders back, the auto steer corrects it, etc.
Nope. At least in my case anyway. This issue occurred immediately after a FW update. Kind of like flipping a switch where it wasn’t doing it prior and right afterwards it became an issue. Nothing to do with alignment, tire pressure, slant of the road, etc. It’s definitely an issue with the FW in the same way that voice commands got borked recently.

Nope. At least in my case anyway. This issue occurred immediately after a FW update. Kind of like flipping a switch where it wasn’t doing it prior and right afterwards it became an issue. Nothing to do with alignment, tire pressure, slant of the road, etc. It’s definitely an issue with the FW in the same way that voice commands got borked recently.
Agree, my case too.

Reactions: Juice13
Anyone have these issues:

*Battery displays randomly switches between distance and percentage

*Lane departure warning doesn't do anything. I've tried switching lanes without signal/indicator, and there's no visual or audible warning like there should be

*Remote heating the cabin does not work. Or atleast not the seat warmer or window defrost. It'll set climate to the desired temperature fine though.