Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car two days ago. Hit the advance button this morning and 30 minutes later I was all updated. Works pretty good. It sees the traffic lights and what color they are. View attachment 492620
How does one get rid of that gray circle with “50” in it? I know what it is, but it interferes with the already small traffic light visualizations. Sloppy, IMHO. YMMV.

Sounds like other ppl are experiencing the same thing but the voice command feature broke after the update. It doesn’t recognize any speech and just hangs at the microphone screen.

I’ve come to realize after every update, certain bugs are fixed while new bugs are introduced. Ap ping ponging was the last feature that deteriorated after the previous update.
It’s most likely Tesla’s servers getting hammered from everyone trying their nifty new toy out at the same time. I haven’t gotten the update and my voice rec was spotty today. Tesla might have underestimated how much more intensive increasing voice control would be for their current servers and they’re going to be scrambling to upgrade.

Roll eyes. You already agreed to all Contacts and Probably your calendar, right?

Just stop texting your favorite cult and you'll be fine ;)

This implementation of txt messaging is already better than CarPlay's which I find awful.
I have CarPlay in my other car. This all around is so much better.

Lol, actually I don’t. Companies love to get access to people’s contact and calendar info, and we are happy to grant them full access!

That being said, it’s still great that Tesla finally incorporated text message integration. Anything that helps keep folks attention off their phones and on the road is a definite improvement.

And don’t be too harsh on Siri, she tries her best :p

Reactions: JBT66
It’s most likely Tesla’s servers getting hammered from everyone trying their nifty new toy out at the same time. I haven’t gotten the update and my voice rec was spotty today. Tesla might have underestimated how much more intensive increasing voice control would be for their current servers and they’re going to be scrambling to upgrade.

That makes sense. Squash the bugs, Tesla! Please and thank you.

This implementation of txt messaging is already better than CarPlay's which I find awful.
The problem with Siri and texting is there's no way to not have a 5 minute conversation with her to reply to a text. It's excruciatingly slow. I think what makes Tesla's method better is you can click the button rather than asking for something.

Tesla:
  1. <beep> message comes in
  2. <click> "Bob Smith said Yo, what's up?"
  3. <click> "Nothing, just driving"
With Siri:
  1. <beep> message comes in
  2. Me: Hey Siri, read me my messages
  3. Siri: Bob Smith says, "Yo, what's up?" would you like to reply?
  4. Me: Yes
  5. Siri: What do you want to say?
  6. Me: Nothing, just driving
  7. Siri: Your message to Bob Smith says "Nothing, just driving" should I send it?
  8. Me: Yes
  9. Siri: Ok, Done.
Also, Tesla shows the text on the screen. Meaning for those "OK" or other quick things that don't need a reply, a quick glance does it - no need to interact at all. Love it.

Important FYI:
I haven't read through the whole thread but in order for voice control functionality to work you must hold down the right button for the entire time you speak the command,which is a change to the prior voice control functionality.
This is not true. I’m able to press and release the scroll wheel to talk and instruct the car to change the temp, wipers, etc. just like speaking was triggered before the update.

Going to add to the reports that voice control is very flaky. It doesn’t pick up anything at least 75% of the time. Before the update it always worked, albeit too slowly for my taste. It’s a good thing I never got accustomed to using voice control on cars because they have historically sucked.

I’d bet good money that the software dev team was pressured by management to get this patch done by Christmas and spent many a death march to finish. I’ve been there. When is management ever going to learn you don’t get good software that way, I don’t know. Given those circumstances they actually accomplished a good deal, but this sort of bug is exactly what you’d expect given this kind of development crunch.