Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd it worked pretty well just after the download but since its horrible for voice recognition old and new commands. Performed the hard reset no improvement

This really seems symptomatic of server overload. I don't think Tesla has ever pushed a huge update to the entire fleet at the same time. Add to that the increased processing time and throughput from everyone saying "open glovebox", "set wiper speed to 3" etc.

Very similar things used to happen every time Apple had the yearly iOS update go live. They've gotten better the past few years. Tesla will learn their servers aren't made of Beskar Steel. ;)

This really seems symptomatic of server overload. I don't think Tesla has ever pushed a huge update to the entire fleet at the same time. Add to that the increased processing time and throughput from everyone saying "open glovebox", "set wiper speed to 3" etc.

Very similar things used to happen every time Apple had the yearly iOS update go live. They've gotten better the past few years. Tesla will learn their servers aren't made of Beskar Steel. ;)

18 pages in this thread and that’s the first Mandalorian reference I’ve seen. Well played sir.

Have a new 2020 M3P..purchased it with FSD.

today I got my very first software update 40.50.1

release notes didn’t mention visualization preview and don’t see stop signs or street lights. Am I missing something?

You have to turn them on. Did you check and see if you have the option in the Autopilot settings? (They may have missed enabling your purchased FSD option.)

The only trick with that is that you were tricked into thinking it worked.

Going into the Software screen will have you car check to see if its VIN has won the update lottery. This takes a few seconds.

Some genius conflated themself mashing the 'Advanced' button into said mashing actually accomplishing anything whatsoever, and shared the "tip".

Worked for me on M3 SR+ Just pulled in the drive way. Put car in park. Hit advanced 5 times. Software download started about 15 seconds later. Can't be a coincidence. Car was sitting in the same place nearly all day. I've hit the software update daily for the last 3 days and nothing until I hit advanced 5 times.

I'm on my home wifi. Not plugged in. It's almost done updating.

Who knows.

Has anyone sat in the car during an update? It made quite a few loud disturbing noises. Rebooting now.

Worked for me on M3 SR+ Just pulled in the drive way. Put car in park. Hit advanced 5 times. Software download started about 15 seconds later. Can't be a coincidence. Car was sitting in the same place nearly all day. I've hit the software update daily for the last 3 days and nothing until I hit advanced 5 times.

Insert correlation != causation quote here.

Everyone got the update today. So if you even remotely went to that page, you got the update. Even going to the page starts the update "check" which probably took the same time as your five presses to initiate and complete. (edit: if you don't believe me, go away from the car info/update page and then back again -- you'll see it "checking for updates..." again)

Scientifically speaking, I've tried this bogus "five presses technique" many many many many many many many many times when I know there are updates and it doesn't work. I've also tried it at Tesla service centers on WiFi AT those centers, and it doesn't work. I've used pixie dust and it doesn't work. I've killed wild animals naked in the forest while under a full moon dancing and screaming the lyrics to Losing My Religion and it doesn't work. Every possible way to get the various Tesla cool car updates and they never work.

When Tesla assigns the update to your car is when you can potentially get the update -- nothing more, nothing less, full stop. Lets stop the voodoo here if we can. :)

Last edited:

I'm on my home wifi. Not plugged in. It's almost done updating.

Who knows.

Has anyone sat in the car during an update? It made quite a few loud disturbing noises. Rebooting now.

It is a coincidence. I checked all morning and there was no update available until it finally was. If I had been pressing "advanced" five times when it finally worked, I probably would have thought it was the trick that worked also when the reality is, it was just that the update wasn't available all the previous times I checked. The phenomenon you experienced is the reason humanity has so many silly superstitions. Haha

Not only that, but with the way tesla iterates on things I actually am happy I havent gotten the retrofit yet. The longer they push it off, the more likely I will get some iterative version of the hardware thats slightly better than the ones people got delivered in 2019. Since tesla does not wait to do updates, this is entirely possible.

The ONLY worry that those of us with HW2.5 who have purchased FSD should have is that tesla would somehow go out of business before performing our upgrades. I dont think that is going to happen, so, unless someone is chomping at the bit to be able to see trash cans and cones, its better for us to get it later than sooner, impatience notwithstanding.
I have been thinking the same thing for a while. The longer we wait, the more likely it is that we end up with HW3.1 or even HW4.0. I don't expect actual full self driving capability to roll out anytime soon, so I am happy to wait until it does, or until Autopilot on HW3 is demonstrably better than on HW2.5. (The latter is the main reason I bought FSD in the first place - I want the best on-the-highway Autopilot possible, and expect that HW3 will eventually be useful to that end, but I don't actually care so much about hands-off FSD.)

I have been thinking the same thing for a while. The longer we wait, the more likely it is that we end up with HW3.1 or even HW4.0. I don't expect actual full self driving capability to roll out anytime soon, so I am happy to wait until it does, or until Autopilot on HW3 is demonstrably better than on HW2.5. (The latter is the main reason I bought FSD in the first place - I want the best on-the-highway Autopilot possible, and expect that HW3 will eventually be useful to that end, but I don't actually care so much about hands-off FSD.)

I wouldn't wait too long (price increases), and while I wouldn't want to burst your bubble I believe that HW3+ (future versions) will require different car hardware - cameras, sensors, etc. This wouldn't render HW3 any less usable, but lets say there are limitations that would only be overcome through technology that isn't currently available or installed in this iteration of physical car that can't be updated through just the CPU.

It's a whole different speculative argument that I feel we all will have at some point, but technology always evolves.

Got the notification that an update was available to download just as I was about to leave my garage for a family dinner for the holiday. I was super tempted to wait for it to DL and then install, but then I would have been very late. Connected to the family Wifi now and waiting for it to DL.

Aight! What a nice Xmas surprise. Installed 40.50.1 this evening. Re-synced my phone (Android) and opted in for Visualization Preview. Tested the Voice Commands which worked maybe 50% of the time. I wish I could close that darn glove box with a voice command. Looking forward to an Xmas morning test drive.

Have a new 2020 M3P..purchased it with FSD.

today I got my very first software update 40.50.1

release notes didn’t mention visualization preview and don’t see stop signs or street lights. Am I missing something?
Looks like you’re in Canada. I don’t think Canadian cars got the visualization yet. Only US cars so far, I think.