Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has already stated" we didnt have time to finish the update for 2.x cars" Everyone thinks HW3 does something special to show the images but it doesnt. All these marking, signs have been displaying in the background on 2.x cars for months now. It will come to 2.x cars soon, unless for some reason Tesla decided to make it only a HW3 feature to try and get the take rate of FSD higher. The amount of ppl who dont realize its just visually different right now is amazing, no car is doing anything different at the moment and hardware 2.x cars are doing the same thing, just not displaying it...yet

Link to source please?

While the new visualizations are neat, I've found that AP is driving around on surface streets quite drunkenly now (insert required "yes I know AP isn't designed for city driving" here). On 40.2.1, I was usually pretty impressed but now my car is swerving around all over the place whenever the lane lines move for any reason. 40.2.1 was really good at hugging the center line when the right lane markings were absent. That behavior seems different now. Anyone else seeing anything like this?
I'm seeing the same thing. We've taken one of those weird steps back with AP that I've seen in a few software versions before.

AP seems to really struggled when a turn lane branches off from the lane you're traveling in now. Not always but several times it's tried to duck into a lane and then quickly corrects itself. This is happening in places where AP has preciously been rock solid.

Hopefully the next point release gets us back to where we were.

• Funny
Reactions: jonquiljo
It is ludicrous that owners have to do this, becaue Tesla hasn't bothered to document the feature properly.

Well they do say that any commands you give it that they don't recognize will go in a list to be reviewed for potential addition. If they gave you a list of everything that was possible that might not learn what people want that they didn't implement. (Yeah they could give us a feature request system, but it isn't like that is going to happen.)

I'm seeing the same thing. We've taken one of those weird steps back with AP that I've seen in a few software versions before.

AP seems to really struggled when a turn lane branches off from the lane you're traveling in now. Not always but several times it's tried to duck into a lane and then quickly corrects itself. This is happening in places where AP has preciously been rock solid.

Hopefully the next point release gets us back to where we were.

Yes, you described what I am seeing perfectly. Whenever a turn lane splits off, the car wants to center in this wider space until it realizes it shouldn't do that then it shoots back over to the original lane. It's honestly pretty jarring if you let it actually do what it wants but since I don't want to get pulled over for drunk driving, I have been holding the wheel so it can't move over which obviously disengages autopilot. So on roads with lots of turn lanes, AP is basically unusable now. On 40.2.1 I got none of this and I was extremely happy with how it would follow along with the left lane marking regardless of what the right lane markings were doing. This seems like a pretty bad regression in my opinion.

You have to turn the visualizations on in the Autopilot settings. But I think they are only available to FSD purchasers, but I haven't been able to get confirmation. (They also require HW3 which would be for cars built ~April, 2019 and newer.)

The visualizations are available to anyone with new enough hardware (MCU2 + HW3).
* And only in the US, for now.

Last edited:
Yes, you described what I am seeing perfectly. Whenever a turn lane splits off, the car wants to center in this wider space until it realizes it shouldn't do that then it shoots back over to the original lane. It's honestly pretty jarring if you let if you actually do what it wants but since I don't want to get pulled over for drunk driving, I have been holding the wheel so it can't move over which obviously disengages autopilot. So on roads with lots of turn lanes, AP is basically unusable now. On 40.2.1 I got none of this and I was extremely happy with how it would follow along with the left lane marking regardless of what the right lane markings were doing. This seems like a pretty bad regression in my opinion.
I'm also seeing it regress in areas where the lane lines break for a bit (like an intersection). In prior versions is also struggled in these scenarios but now it's worse.

If you're in the right hand lane (on a 4 lane road) and there's even a slight left hand curve when the lane lines break (like an intersection), the car mistakes the center line (on the left) to be the right side lane line and it will pull HARD into the left lane regardless of whether there are cars beside you or not.

This issue has existed ever since I first got my car but onlymin a few situations. 2019.40.5.1 seems to be struggling even worse. It triggered in a new spot for me yesterday.

They need to fix this before focusing on stop signs and traffic lights. If we get into an accident before reaching the stop light then it's kinda pointless huh?! LOL

I'm also seeing it regress in areas where the lane lines break for a bit (like an intersection). In prior versions is also struggled in these scenarios but now it's worse.

If you're in the right hand lane (on a 4 lane road) and there's even a slight left hand curve when the lane lines break (like an intersection), the car mistakes the center line (on the left) to be the right side lane line and it will pull HARD into the left lane regardless of whether there are cars beside you or not.

This issue has existed ever since I first got my car but onlymin a few situations. 2019.40.5.1 seems to be struggling even worse. It triggered in a new spot for me yesterday.

They need to fix this before focusing on stop signs and traffic lights. If we get into an accident before reaching the stop light then it's kinda pointless huh?! LOL

Yes, after driving around a lot today, I have noticed this as well. On prior versions, it seemed like the car was more comfortable just cruising along on the same path until it picked up the correct lane lines and continued on smoothly. Now it seems to be frantically hunting for lane lines and swerving around to try and get between the first set of lane lines it sees which has resulted in potentially dangerous situations that required me to intervene several times and this just never happened before. Interestingly, autosteer seems to be able to actually make it through my neighborhood now even though there are no lane lines at all where it always aborted at a sharp turn before.

for this software version, anyone else have 'cruise control unavailable' when it really should be working?

today was clear, not much traffic (sf bay area) and for the first part of my drive, tacc worked fine. I parked the car, was out for maybe half an hour and when I went back to resume the trip. tacc refused to engage. I could see line drawings on the road (the new vis's are great!), I even was about to run a stop sign and it alerted me big-time! it did not stop me, of course, but it noticed that I was going thru it (no one nearby, not to worry) and it alerted me. so lots of new stuff is running just fine, it seems. it even picks up the diamonds in the left hov lane, realtime, as I drove. great progress!

but the failure of tacc, today, was annoying. when I stopped the car, I rebooted the display system and then tacc came back.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
It is ludicrous that owners have to do this, because Tesla hasn't bothered to document the feature properly.

You guys! Give 'em the cow they want the barn. Pretty soon they stress over how the Android is an embarrassment, at dinner parties. It really really needs more polished table manners.

Bothered? @Vannex you evidently don't work in software development. Features aren't entirely defined at any point, capabilities are built out as ideas come and press against the deadline. The documentation? Just as you're probably the last to read it, programmers are the last to write it. Some junior interns are tasked with taking notes like jungle biologists, to test and try to describe the system in its current condition.

When I was coding at Microsoft, management would put out sumptuous buffets of fruit and cheese and cold cuts and juices and lots of the most exquisite and potent coffee, brought back from some far away Aztec valley by company courier Lear Jet - so we didn't have to leave at all. I'd often take a break a 3:00 am and take a brisk walk around the climate controlled corridors. I could see some programmers sleeping in their hammocks, others jogging down the hallways. I could faintly hear a guy playing guitar behind the door of his comfy cocoon office. Lots of colorful props, arcade games, big monitors everywhere. Why bother to go anywhere else? In the 9-5 dimension the suits would schedule meetings, we'd argue over which problems would punt to the back of the Bug Binder - "there's only this one guy in Minnesota who's complaining about it". All the while the documentation kids would try to figure out how far we'd gotten the night before and work on their spreadsheets. And THAT is when there's time and resources to "document properly" - a rare luxury. I think Tesla's a smaller team.

That voice recognition system seems like a pretty advanced AI project that's tuning itself. Give it a little time. I'm not sure there's a finite set of "commands". It probably works against a list of component names, like Rear Camera, Heater, Seat etc. I said "lower passenger window" and it came back with "capability not implemented yet". In other words it figured out what I wanted, but there was no code in place yet to actually run the window motor.

Sadly, the overzealous mod will collapse this thread into some ginormous thread about everything related to that software version and we won't be able to have a discussion because it will all get lost.

Mod, stop doing that about every single post tangentially related. You're ruining the board.

it happened, was not fun trying to find posts related to voice commands not working...

Just curious for anyone else that is colorblind, do you also have an incredibly hard time actually seeing the red and green indicators in the traffic lights. The shades they use on the grey or black background are much to bland for me to see. My wife can see them perfectly.
For those that are not "colorblind" being colorblind doesn't mean we can't see color it's just difficult to discern the difference between them. I can see red and green on a traffic light fine I can even see the red and green used for the traffic levels on the map.
I think they need to adjust the intensity of the colors.