Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I will ever surrender that much control to a car. The Model 3 I rented a few months ago had FSD, so I gave NOA a try. As soon as it tried to change lanes, I was freaking a bit, swiveling my had frantically and say "WTF!!??!". It's all I can do to trust adaptive cruise control. But change lanes? Navigate through complicated interchanges? No way, not until these systems are certified safe and truly automatous.

Boing certifications didn’t help, in some scenarios, as we all know. Imagine Tesla will start showing that their systems are safe. And will push hard to make it quick... There will be limited value to such certifications.

But you gave it a try at first ) Which means you will do it again as soon as you decide that it might work. And then once you see it works - well, it is easy then to trust. The same with another human.

Reactions: dandrewk
40.50.1 seems to have mostly fixed the autopilot instability of 40.2.1. still a bit of lane wander but by and large stable enough to feel comfortable with using again. one thing i noticed however is it like moving left to faster lanes but never moves back right out of the passing lane like it used to do pretty often. i find i have to force it back right when cars are waiting behind me and no one is in the right lanes. would be nice if it moved back right once it sees a car bunching up behind me and no one to the right.

Upgrade to acceleration boost is a big improvement. Definitely worth it even though they really shouldn't be holding back performance from purchased hardware when possible. We bought the dual motor, give us the best it can do as part of the included updates.

one thing i think they really need to improve on is the perspective correction on the car distances to the sides. it is clear the cameras warp the image such that the computer thinks they are closer then they are while passing. It's pretty predictable and happens to all cars. Seems they should be able to apply a perspective correction to passing cars so they don't look like they are about to hit you while they pass by.

Issues 2019.20.10487
I got this update when it first came out and some issues I have seen so far.
The new visualizations don't appear (stop lights, sto signs etc).
The car experiences phantom braking out of no where now.
And none of the voice commands work now. Before I could ask to play and so g and it would. Now it just sits there as if it never heard anything.

Anyone else experience these issues

Upgrade to acceleration boost is a big improvement. Definitely worth it even though they really shouldn't be holding back performance from purchased hardware when possible. We bought the dual motor, give us the best it can do as part of the included updates.

I don't agree. What if the hardware is capable of it, but it causes excessive wear that results in more warranty claims? My guess is that a good portion of the $2k goes into the warranty liability bucket to cover the additional failures.

The voice commands worked perfectly the first time I tried them yesterday. I did a ton of things.
Then it didn't work for the rest of the day. Not once. It was embarrassing to have my wife ripping on me lol.

The commands worked right after the install but later seemed to failing. After more testing it appears that the voice system works very intermittently. Failing more often than it works.

I have had a bit of success by stating the "command" as soon as possible after the box appears, then wait a few seconds until the command appears in the box, then say the qualifier. For example: say "NAVIGATE"...wait until it appears (may take a few seconds)...then state the destination ("SANTA CRUZ). This seems to work about 60% of the time.

It was much more reliable before 2019.40.50.1 was installed!

• Love
Reactions: JeffnReno
Only difference between climate on and camp mode is you have full control of the car with camp mode. I actually use camp mode when supercharging.

With climate on, it saves whatever setting you had the climate on and keeps it there. It kicks into auto so the AC is running 24/7. After a while, the car goes into sleep mode and the screen turns off. So, you cannot use anything. You cannot crack open a window, unlock a door, charge your phone, adjust the seats, etc. Which was a problem, because if I slept in the back, and tried to open the door to get out, the alarm would go off, so I had to unlock the car from the app to get out.

With camp mode it gives you full control of the climate, can turn off the AC, have fans on only, etc. Car is 100% on do you can charge your phone or whatever over night, plug things into the outlets, use the windows, netflix and chill. You can adjust the seats, open the doors, without any issues. I love it! After a period of time a screensaver kicks in, but a quick tap on the screen gets the screen back to normal.
Ah, sounds like this is a perfect "I have to get out of the car but have passengers still in the car" mode too.

Reactions: jamnmon66
one thing i think they really need to improve on is the perspective correction on the car distances to the sides. it is clear the cameras warp the image such that the computer thinks they are closer then they are while passing. It's pretty predictable and happens to all cars. Seems they should be able to apply a perspective correction to passing cars so they don't look like they are about to hit you while they pass by.

This bugs me too. The visualizations would have you think surrounding cars are right next to you when in reality they aren't nearly that close.

Reactions: groovyd
Right, this is also year 50 for me with driving. Weird, right? How in the farmer's mother did that happen? When I started university we didn't even have calculators. Yet somehow us old dogs were new tricked over the years. But yeah, I'm a bit more of a control freak driving. That said I'm cool with technology to the degree that I understand and control it. Not my day job but I've been pretty good with computers over the years. Now, letting my teenage sons loose with AP/NOA/FSD is a bridge too far, for me........or maybe not, que sera sera.....

Yup. Time goes by quickly. Then it runs out. When I was an undergraduate, we had calculators and computers that were really primitive. But I worked as a biotech scientist and then in other managerial positions in tech. So I got pretty used to it, even though it was primitive compared to today. I'm not afraid of it like many contemporaries, so I do pretty well with technology.

I actually like the visualizations. It's easier for me to have two points of reference - the road and the "virtual road" on the screen. Letting the car drive me .... no. But more complex visual assistance would be great and will be what will sell me on FSD.

I live on the edge of the crowd here, so we get lots of obstacles - deer, people, odd things - in the road. It would be nice to have a second set of eyes - especially at night. You probably have a lot more of that where you are. This latest visualization software seems to be focused on cones, streetlights, and trash cans. When there are multiple streetlights, it gets a bit cluttered on the screen and I don't think the relevant ones are really sensed yet - especially streetlights for turns.

The biggest problem with all the visualizations is that each area has its own way of marking roads,intersections, etc. So Tesla will have to program lots of different abilities into their FSD. California is set up one way, but New Jersey is different - at least the roads. Even if I go 20 miles from here into San Francisco, the roads are set up differently, with different street signs, lights, etc. I can't imagine what Tesla will do in other countries! They'll figure it out, it will just take time.

Issues 2019.20.10487
I got this update when it first came out and some issues I have seen so far.
The new visualizations don't appear (stop lights, sto signs etc).
The car experiences phantom braking out of no where now.
And none of the voice commands work now. Before I could ask to play and so g and it would. Now it just sits there as if it never heard anything.

Anyone else experience these issues
Yes. There are 35 pages of similar experiences.

I’ve found a legitimate use for the traffic light visualizations. Sometimes the sun is directly behind the traffic light I’m stopped at. I have my visor down to keep the sun out of my eyes, but then I can’t see when the light turns green. This morning I just looked at the traffic light on the screen and saw when the light changed without being blinded by the sun.

Does anyone not have full text message functionality? I can seem to choose who to send them to on the screen, dictate the message, then tap send on the screen but in the call menu I don’t have the messages section and I can’t seem to receive texts and have them read out loud to me.

The biggest problem with all the visualizations is that each area has its own way of marking roads,intersections, etc. So Tesla will have to program lots of different abilities into their FSD. California is set up one way, but New Jersey is different - at least the roads. Even if I go 20 miles from here into San Francisco, the roads are set up differently, with different street signs, lights, etc. I can't imagine what Tesla will do in other countries! They'll figure it out, it will just take time.

Right, driving in Europe is very different, but then again the same. Driving etiquette is something you have to learn, wherever you are. I pushed a hack in NYC for years, different than driving in rural Montana, different from the southeast and southwest, all that has to work with the program. Challenging, right, my mind is open but I have no great expectations. New and cool stuff. I'm just alone for the ride.........sorry, I mean the drive.........

Does anyone not have full text message functionality? I can seem to choose who to send them to on the screen, dictate the message, then tap send on the screen but in the call menu I don’t have the messages section and I can’t seem to receive texts and have them read out loud to me.

did you follow the setup instructions in the release notes? It's a bit convoluted.

Just returned from a 300 mile road trip on FW 40.50.1 with about 70% of the trip with TACC, auto steer, and NOA enabled.

Some observations:

Voice control worked for me about half the time. Texting didn’t work but I later realized that I had to re-pair my Bluetooth connection as others have mentioned and make some check box selections.

Still observed some “ping ponging” within the lane; although not as much and more mild than the previous FW. NOA is still very abrupt when it comes to taking an exit. So abrupt that when it does take the exit it goes past the right side lane markings and immediately over compensates back to the middle of the lane. Felt like a bobble head doll. Nowhere near as smooth as the previous FW before 2019.40.
Everything else was perfect. No phantom braking at all. Lane changes with NOA still very good. No FSD visuals for me as I’m on HW 2.5.

I don't agree. What if the hardware is capable of it, but it causes excessive wear that results in more warranty claims? My guess is that a good portion of the $2k goes into the warranty liability bucket to cover the additional failures.

Agree. Don't know what portion is being reserved for warranty holdbacks, but definitely some of it is. The motors for dual motor and performance models are basically built the same. But according to Tesla, they selected the best ones (being as there will always be some variations) and performed extra burn-in on them to ensure they were extra durable at the higher output level. By increasing the output significantly for the dual motor cars (even if it still isn't the same level as the Performance cars), they are putting more "strain" on a motor(s) that haven't received the same amount of stress testing. Which could lead to more warranty issues, hence the "holdbacks". That said I think Tesla is still making some profit here but not the "pure profit" that some think. Because I don't know if the average customer is even aware of the "warranty holdback" notion.

Reactions: jebinc and MP3Mike