Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for doing that! So we can rule that out then. Do you have Android or Apple?

Edit: I'm blind. Saw you have an Apple phone up above. Now we just need someone with an Android phone to do the exact thing and confirm that it doesn't cause the crashing. Only thing pointing to special characters not being the cause is the few people saying they don't have any non-alphabetical characters in their contact list and they still have the resets. So maybe back to a number of contacts thing? But then again, ~50 contacts isn't really that many so that doesn't make sense. I give up. Haha.
I have 448 contacts saved :)

• Funny
Reactions: diezel_dave
Surely the part where this happens involves a CRC or similar check?

3. perform integrity checking of the resultant image (obviously failure at an of the steps results in restart from 1)

It would be completely irresponsible for Tesla to design the car such that software is downloaded over the internet and then directly flashed to the components without checking to make sure no corruption or data loss occurred. My car always downloads new software pretty quickly then sits on 100% for like 10 minutes. I can only imagine that that is the point in the process where the download's integrity is being confirmed.

one thing that takes a long time is to do a secure erase of flash (which has an inherent TRIM nature to it). I don't know if tesla does that. if not, they SHOULD. even without, you usually format the target partition and 'mkfs' and that can take some time. you might mount source and target partitions and start a slow 'cpio' or even 'rsync'.

flashing over CAN can take a while. over ethernet is faster but not everything is on ethernet. if a flash fails, it has to start over from the start (usually with ECUs that's how it is). timeouts and retries can make things go even slower.

we don't get a log of what goes on during an install. would be fun to see ;) but we can make guesses based on what other auto makers do and have done.

My phone contact list has # and @ in several contacts and my phone is an Android based one. Some times I can toggle back and forth with no issues but not usually more than like 3 toggles. More often though, it crashes on the first time. So far, this is what I know: Android and Apple phones have had the crashing but not everyone has it. I have not seen a report of an Android phone without # or @ in the contact list causing the crashes. Yours is the first Apple phone with "special characters" in the contact list and since it isn't crashing, I guess we can rule that out. The only other thing that I can think of left is that it is caused by an android phone with special characters in the contact list. Once someone reports that that works okay also, then I can't think of any other obvious cause.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't have special characters in my contacts, I'm on Android, and it crashes when sorting. Probably around 150-200 contacts.

• Helpful
Reactions: diezel_dave
Weird thing happened today during messaging. I was texting back and forth with my sister, and in between messages, a random message popped up on screen from my old boss back from April 2019!!!??? I had to do a message search as it wasn't showing up as a new message and discovered the date.

Fun stuff.

Question about playing music from phone over BT. I typically listen to Slacker in my Model 3 but I've found a good station on Pandora that I have been listening to lately and put it on today. I tried skipping over a song using the steering wheel and then the screen on the skip arrow but neither worked. Again I rarely listen to music over BT so maybe I've never noticed the two or three times I did use BT but wondering if this normal behavior or an issue? Sorry if this isn't related to this thread. Thank you.

Voice commands finally work for me.

told my car to “set temp to 70 degrees”. It understood it. Displayed what I said on the screen 100%. But set my climate to lo instead.

big improvement though. Before my microphone would pick up no voice input at all.

taking too long though. I’m already used to not using any voice commands at all. I forget it’s there

Weird thing happened today during messaging. I was texting back and forth with my sister, and in between messages, a random message popped up on screen from my old boss back from April 2019!!!??? I had to do a message search as it wasn't showing up as a new message and discovered the date.

Fun stuff.
I've had that happen a few times. Not sure why they're randomly triggering.