Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My speculation is it’s actually just the next revision of the 980 no spec difference but possibly cheaper to produce maybe has a higher load ceiling and it will make its way into all awd model 3s after they’re confident with its reliability in the LR AWD and/or when they run out of remaining 980 inventory

They've been using the 990 in cars for over a year now.

You think they had over a year worth of spare 980s taking up space?

And wouldn't putting a cheaper but JUST AS CAPABLE (or better) motor make more sense to put into the cheaper versions like the SR? But they don't do that either.

They've been using the 990 in cars for over a year now.

You think they had over a year worth of spare 980s taking up space?

And wouldn't putting a cheaper but JUST AS CAPABLE (or better) motor make more sense to put into the cheaper versions like the SR? But they don't do that either.

they’re just approaching a year of 990 use right now and if it’s a better cheaper motor that could eventually replace the 980 it would warrant a new production line with the idea that the 980 line would eventually be retired. I don’t presume to know when/if 980 production stopped, often this would be a phased process lowering 980 production while increasing 990 over time, not outright shutting down 980 production overnight and Just working through old inventory from day 1. As far as the SR why change it everywhere when you test these things on production cars you want to limit the blast radius of any issues that do come up. The LR AWD is a good test bed for the P as it doesn’t differ from it as much as the SR does, the wear and tear profiles are going to be closer. I think this theory is furthered with the recent release of boost this gets the testing of the 990 incrementally closer to the P. It’s like how the Honda Prelude was used as a test bed for new tech prior to things making it into higher trim Honda models, they didn’t test things on the Civic

My speculation is it’s actually just the next revision of the 980 no spec difference but possibly cheaper to produce maybe has a higher load ceiling and it will make its way into all awd model 3s after they’re confident with its reliability in the LR AWD and/or when they run out of remaining 980 inventory

I thought it was IGBT vs MOSFET vs MOSFET-LC?

ASY,3DUR,MOSFET (NOTE: This is the same one as the Oct catalog that came in every car)
1120980-00-D

ASY,3DUR,IGBT
1120970-00-D

ASY,3DUR,AWD,MOSFET-LC
1120990-00-A

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
you’re not really responding to my argument with at least as much validity as your argument that producing a second inferior part

I don’t really feel the need to refute your theory point by point - I suppose you could be right (have not really thought about it). I might also be right. Or we might both be wrong. Certainly would not be the first time I was wrong.

is furthered with the recent release of boost this gets the testing of the 990 incrementally closer to the P.

As far as lining up with your theory goes, the AWD+ power boost slightly reduced the peak power to the rear motor (though peak torque did increase 4% - it is 333Nm vs 425Nm for the 3P rear):
Model 3 AWD+ (Acceleration Boost) tested from 0-160 km/h - Peak power up 11%, Peak torque up 12%, 0-60 mph in 3.78s : teslamotors

Anyway, my main point here was not to actually get into a discussion of motors - how about taking that up in the Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog thread?

My main point for this 2020 differences thread was: I just wanted to point out that as far as a difference in 2020 vs. prior year submitted data:

1) Both AWD and Performance cars in 2020 are more efficient than prior submitted data.

2) Unlike prior years, the 2020 Performance 18” was tested and shows in the submissions to the government that it is both more efficient and has greater range than the 2020 AWD (by about 4%).

3) We don’t know exactly why this is, and will update if data becomes available.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I thought it was IGBT vs MOSFET vs MOSFET-LC?

ASY,3DUR,MOSFET (NOTE: This is the same one as the Oct catalog that came in every car)
1120980-00-D

ASY,3DUR,IGBT
1120970-00-D

ASY,3DUR,AWD,MOSFET-LC
1120990-00-A

AFAIK nobody has ever found a single model 3 of any trim with that 970 motor actually installed in it.

ALL cars were 980 up until early 2019...after which the 990 began appears only in non-P AWD cars.

Occams razor says it's a cheaper, less capable, (and based on EPA data less efficient) motor....otherwise it would've appeared in other trims by now.

Others have connecting-a-ton-of-red-strings-on-pushpins theories vastly more complex and requiring a bunch of leaps that make no sense to conclude otherwise though.

AFAIK nobody has ever found a single model 3 of any trim with that 970 motor actually installed in it.

ALL cars were 980 up until early 2019...after which the 990 began appears only in non-P AWD cars.

Occams razor says it's a cheaper, less capable, (and based on EPA data less efficient) motor....otherwise it would've appeared in other trims by now.

Others have connecting-a-ton-of-red-strings-on-pushpins theories vastly more complex and requiring a bunch of leaps that make no sense to conclude otherwise though.
Occam’s razor? You know what’s even simpler? It’s another revision of the exact same motor because that’s what they’ve always done to this point. Another thing I’ve glossed over to this point is the added complexity of motor control software if it’s different. They would have to push a profile for P cars, LR AWDs with 980s and LR AWDs with 990s, MRs and SRs. And assuming there’s code paths for each and the firmwares are not individual to each trim the car would need to recognize specifically what motor is in the car live to determine what profile to use, this means this capability would have had to be built in from the start or you now have branching code paths based on year, and god forbid a device centre ever actually replaces a 990 with a 980 or vice versa. This adds a stupid level of complexity in the firmware/software. Simplest answer is that they’re the same

Moving any further discussion to the parts catalog thread

re-rated for 299 miles. Which isn't a changed just the EPA finally tested them separately. For 2020, All Tesla Model 3 Versions Get New EPA Ratings

unsurprisingly tesla still lists the M3P at 310.
:)

This would probably explain why I've suddenly loss some EPA miles when updating to 2019.40.50.1 on 12/24/2019 from 2019.40.2.1. I went from 80% SOC at 246 miles to 80% SOC at 239 miles. Now what to do with the missing 12 miles... Tesla still advertised 310 miles. Ask for more batteries to compensate? Lol.

Last edited:
hooks pretty easy
pocket lights kinda difficult cause there is no wiring to connect them
u gotta bridge wires with ambient light circuit
IMG_0812 copy.jpg

hooks pretty easy
pocket lights kinda difficult cause there is no wiring to connect them
u gotta bridge wires with ambient light circuit

Do you have pics of your installation process? I'm disappointed that not only did Tesla removed the pocket lights, but also connections too, preventing retrofitting. Not that it really matters since there's always splicing, but that just make it more cumbersome.

Do you have pics of your installation process? I'm disappointed that not only did Tesla removed the pocket lights, but also connections too, preventing retrofitting. Not that it really matters since there's always splicing, but that just make it more cumbersome.
IMG_7587.JPEG
I just took some pictures of the pocket LED. It's not easy getting my camera in there and getting the focus right, but you'll get the idea. Many more pics in full resolution in my blog post's photo gallery. As for me personally, I'm going to leave my SR+ as-is, without this ambient light. Any chance of increasing the odds of a door rattle or electrical splice issue years down the road far outweigh this rather subtle thing. No way I could justify the time and (slight) risk, at least not for me. These are just my personal perpectives: I'm not that annoyed that Tesla took some fairly minor stuff out which weren't items my wife noticed anyway. I even though she'd have no Live Traffic Visualization or Satellite-View Maps views from what I had heard back when we ordered on Nov 14 2019, but those are now the same for her as they are for me (see TMC thread $10 Month for Premium Connectivity). I'm also much happier that they added full Autopilot for all (lane keeping & adaptive cruise control), remembering that my 2018 Model 3 LR AWD didn't even have either at delivery in Dec 2018, not until I paid to upgrade later.

• Helpful
I see what you guys mean by the pocket door lamp. Yeah mine is empty as well.

Although honestly, the void there is miniature. I was expecting thumb-sized, like the trunk lamps. It's more like 1/4th of a pinky knuckle.

Wouldn't have noticed the gap, and not missing the functionality either.

Also curious if you have pics you can share of what you did with the grocery hooks and door pocket light opening.