Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a 2020 LR AWD today and was cruising at 80-90 and did not feel like it was noisy. I currently drive a 2017 BMW M3 competition model for reference. The wife drives an i3 said it was quiet, if not more quiet than her i3 at that speed. When I asked the Tesla rep, he said that 2020 models did have a little more sound deadening and tighter seals.

This article from MotorTrend references improvements to the 2020 Model 3 rear seat, which my family would welcome:
MotorTrend Announces Its 2020 Awards Podium Finalists - MotorTrend Group
With a thanks to Teslarati for bringing it to my attention:
Tesla Model 3 makes it as one of Motortrend's Car of the Year Top 3 finalists

Here is the relevant quote for convenience:
The 2020 Model 3 is the best sport sedan on the market. The 2020 Model 3’s interior design continues to be modern and minimalistic, but it’s elegant in its simplicity. The 2020 Model 3’s seats offer more bolstering, and rear passengers now enjoy a more ergonomic position, as the bench has been raised for improved comfort. In terms of driving, the Model 3 offers impressive dynamic performance as well as battery-pack range that continues to be the benchmark for electric vehicles.

This article from MotorTrend references improvements to the 2020 Model 3 rear seat, which my family would welcome:
MotorTrend Announces Its 2020 Awards Podium Finalists - MotorTrend Group
With a thanks to Teslarati for bringing it to my attention:
Tesla Model 3 makes it as one of Motortrend's Car of the Year Top 3 finalists

Here is the relevant quote for convenience:
The 2020 Model 3 is the best sport sedan on the market. The 2020 Model 3’s interior design continues to be modern and minimalistic, but it’s elegant in its simplicity. The 2020 Model 3’s seats offer more bolstering, and rear passengers now enjoy a more ergonomic position, as the bench has been raised for improved comfort. In terms of driving, the Model 3 offers impressive dynamic performance as well as battery-pack range that continues to be the benchmark for electric vehicles.

that change was made in early 2018. They appear to be comparing it to the 2017 super-early-build car they originally tested at launch.

In addition they are changing the MSRP requirements (must be less than $60k) to qualify for the $2500 CVRP, starting December 3rd, 2019. Wonder whether Tesla will soon squeeze the MSRP of Performance + PUP to below $60k, when including FSD? Keep an eye out for that! MSRP is going to likely go down by $2k in January anyway, and then it would only be $2-3k away from getting below $60k.

What should I know about the December 3rd program changes?

Note that there are proposals in the works which are talking about increasing the rebate to as much as $7500 in the future, in California. We'll see whether they come to fruition.

Highly unlikely price will drop $2k in January due to loss of fed rebate given they just raised prices a month ago...

According to my VIN I'm getting a 2020 model... delivery 05.12.2019

Ordered P3D+ 26.10.2019, here in Switzerland.

Going to the dealer and be stupid and complain' where are my hooks, where is my frunk mat?! I saw it in the show room and my car doesn't have it!

I wonder if the pedestrian warning speaker is also enabled on EU/Europe models.

I read people complain about the sounds of wind in the car, ordered a rubber seal kit recommended by a friend... happy to hear the 2020 models already do better in general.

The only recent changes are Tesla trying to improve their margins by reducing cost. Change of suppliers, redesign parts, removal of small features and accessories (like removal of some lights etc)

Change to better sound proofing occurred before around end of May.

In any case, Tesla doesn't have a 2020 model per say, they improve their car all the times.

This is the inside of a July 2019 build door, with the road noise improvement
27F4F9C0-5896-48A6-A82F-18BC074C084B.jpeg