TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: 2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dave999z, Nov 6, 2019.

1. The Hindenburg

• Love x 1
  2. M3FNATIK

M3FNATIK Recovering BMW Addict

I test drove a 2020 LR AWD today and was cruising at 80-90 and did not feel like it was noisy. I currently drive a 2017 BMW M3 competition model for reference. The wife drives an i3 said it was quiet, if not more quiet than her i3 at that speed. When I asked the Tesla rep, he said that 2020 models did have a little more sound deadening and tighter seals.

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. ALSETJC

ALSETJC Member

Great new feature, the car changed its own winter tires with the latest software update.

• Like x 1
  4. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Dang, my one year old car is suddenly an extra year behind :(

5. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Yes. It is improved over my 2019. Now we just need some silent tires. :p

6. cdubois

cdubois Member

This article from MotorTrend references improvements to the 2020 Model 3 rear seat, which my family would welcome:
    MotorTrend Announces Its 2020 Awards Podium Finalists - MotorTrend Group
    With a thanks to Teslarati for bringing it to my attention:
    Tesla Model 3 makes it as one of Motortrend's Car of the Year Top 3 finalists

Here is the relevant quote for convenience:
    The 2020 Model 3 is the best sport sedan on the market. The 2020 Model 3’s interior design continues to be modern and minimalistic, but it’s elegant in its simplicity. The 2020 Model 3’s seats offer more bolstering, and rear passengers now enjoy a more ergonomic position, as the bench has been raised for improved comfort. In terms of driving, the Model 3 offers impressive dynamic performance as well as battery-pack range that continues to be the benchmark for electric vehicles.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

that change was made in early 2018. They appear to be comparing it to the 2017 super-early-build car they originally tested at launch.

• Informative x 3
  8. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

I’m not clear on whether the 2020 EPA numbers reflect any actual difference in efficiency between the 2019 MY and 2020 MY or if they are just reflecting the recent software update that would apply to all Model 3’s.

9. EnterpriseT

EnterpriseT Member

This was cut in 2019. I didn't get one.

10. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Yes, cut at on all 3's produced from 9/1/19 on.

11. malou

malou Member

For this alone, I'm glad I got mine in July 2019.

• Like x 3
  12. kwoody51

kwoody51 Member

Highly unlikely price will drop $2k in January due to loss of fed rebate given they just raised prices a month ago...

13. peakshaving

peakshaving Member

Not a 2020 owner but I was shown that just by tapping the rear quarter panels you can hear that they added padding to the 2020 models. Apparently the early 2017 builds also has better padding.

14. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

Where/what exactly is this padding? Foam, dynamat like material stuck to the inside of the quarter panel, what?

15. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

Easily fixed

16. dvaz

dvaz Member

That just regular speaker right? I wonder how hard would be to hijack that speaker and play V8 - V10 sound clip with an ipod or something, just use the enable signal to turn it on or off :D

17. jipvk

jipvk P3D+ | 2020 | FSD | White Interior | White

According to my VIN I'm getting a 2020 model... delivery 05.12.2019

Ordered P3D+ 26.10.2019, here in Switzerland.

Going to the dealer and be stupid and complain' where are my hooks, where is my frunk mat?! I saw it in the show room and my car doesn't have it!

I wonder if the pedestrian warning speaker is also enabled on EU/Europe models.

I read people complain about the sounds of wind in the car, ordered a rubber seal kit recommended by a friend... happy to hear the 2020 models already do better in general.

18. jyavenard

jyavenard Member

The only recent changes are Tesla trying to improve their margins by reducing cost. Change of suppliers, redesign parts, removal of small features and accessories (like removal of some lights etc)

Change to better sound proofing occurred before around end of May.

In any case, Tesla doesn't have a 2020 model per say, they improve their car all the times.

19. jyavenard

jyavenard Member

This is the inside of a July 2019 build door, with the road noise improvement
    27F4F9C0-5896-48A6-A82F-18BC074C084B.jpeg

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. jyavenard

jyavenard Member

Way earlier than that.

The cut was present in earlier build, however the speaker wasn't installed. Wiring is there however.