TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: 2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dave999z, Nov 6, 2019.

1. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

This seems right. My late June build is quiet, and has a solid metal parcel shelf. You might find this thread interesting as well.
    Trunk Top panel

2. grankin

grankin Member

I ordered mine on Sept. 26, and it arrived the day before 6 weeks passed. When I first got the VIN I called my insuror to get a commitment, and the home office insisted on a year for the car. I told them 2019, and they later decided on their own that it was 2020.

I had read comments on wind noise, and had set aside some $$ for the seal kit available aftermarket ... but I find that it is damned quiet and needs no silencing. Driving it here in snowy Wisconsin I find that it corrects quite nicely when the rear end steps out, and that weather below freezing (in an enclosed but unheated garage) eats a fair bit of juice even when parked. No surprise there, for even old technology lead-acid batteries lose strength when it gets that cold out.

• Like x 2
  3. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

9/26 order here as well for my 20MY. And yes.... 20s are very quiet and I'm pleased with the lack of noise vs. my 19. The only reason I would get a door seal kit is to keep door jambs clean.

4. dc121gw

dc121gw Member

@grankin the model year for all cars is encoded in the VIN. If the 10th character of the VIN is a "K", it's a 2019. If it's a "L", it's a 2020. VINs are controlled by Tesla and they are the only ones who control what model year your car is.

• Informative x 2
  5. jyavenard

jyavenard Member

When was your '19 car actually built?

6. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

July.

7. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Note that they have apparently "corrected" the Stealth Performance numbers on fueleconomy.gov so now the Stealth Performance and the AWD match in efficiency and range. Was not the case two weeks ago. Just noticed the change today. So much for trying to use the 990 vs. 980 motor difference as an explanation...apparently there is no difference after all. Still no test cycle documents published for 2020 so still waiting on seeing whether anything has been voluntarily derated (I don't know whether they can derate efficiency as well as range (I don't think so?)...)

Two weeks ago:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 2.12.01 PM.png

Now:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 2.07.56 PM.png

• Informative x 2
  8. jim0266

jim0266 Member

Assuming you are pointing out the white cotton-like material. I've taken off all 4 door panels on my 4/19 build LR RWD. They look exactly the same.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  9. skgolf91

skgolf91 Member

i got my model 3 sleeper/stealth 11/16 and only drove about 40 miles first two days but i noticed that the wind noise on the highway was pretty high. i am ordering the seal that covers outside between the glasses so hopefully that will make the noise go away!

10. 7ESLA

7ESLA Member

So can anyone with a 2020 model 3 confirm whether the wiring is there or not?

11. hoang51

hoang51 Member

12. Cronn

Cronn Member

No hole there, I was hoping to just add the lights but there isnt anything here on my2020

• Helpful x 1
  13. Dolemite

Dolemite is my name

Bought mine late August 2019. Built early July. Very quiet on the highway, came with a trunk mat, and grocery hooks, and lights in the door pockets.

14. tarballqc

tarballqc Member

FYI my AWD was built on Oct 8th but MY2019.
    It still has the frunk hooks, but the dead pedal is already carpeted.

15. tarballqc

tarballqc Member

Can you share link pls?

16. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Dyno tests are a simulation, they simulate driving. They don't simulate it well so you have to modify the numbers for the missing aero effects, temperature differences, and so on.

So I'd say @Uncle Paul is very correct to call it a simulation.

I'd also ask how you think 2020 Mid range numbers got in there. It's a config that isn't sold. I'd wager that a Tesla employee just submitted an entry for a car that doesn't exist without any specific testing of such configuration.

17. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

They are the same numbers from 2018 when they tested this model on the dyno.

My point was just that all the numbers are based on a dyno result (which uses coefficients to simulate drag, etc.) at some point. I’m not aware that the results can be entirely simulated, based on what we see in the test documents. Has to be some real test article backing it up at some point.

18. r1200gs4ok

r1200gs4ok Active Member

19. r1200gs4ok

r1200gs4ok Active Member

I understand this but.......what mileage is it based on ...12k, 13k miles per year.......what about those of us who drive less than 5k per year......I wouldn't put it past our crooked governor to make EV owners to start taking pictures of the odometers......some insurance companies do this now, but I am sure there are ways to get around it.......in the case of Tesla, our "T" screen shows the vin number and the total mileage, so it would work......but then what is the tax rate to be used

• Helpful x 1
  20. NOLADriver

NOLADriver Member

Mine had to be in the transition period also, was a Sept 2019 build, has frunk hooks, no frunk mat, no carpeted dead pedal, has lights in door pocket, very quiet all the time.

• Like x 1