TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: 2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dave999z, Nov 6, 2019.

1. idudkim

idudkim New Member

I have ordered a Model 3 LR Dual Motor with delivery set to Dec 23-36.

The sales rep that I talked to at the showroom mentioned that all cars manufactured in December will be made as a 2020 model year. She also mentioned that the new model could feature faster charging.

When emailing her again about more details, she said "There is not current public information on the 2020 model now. Only internal email".

I would like to know if anyone else has heard about these "faster charging rates" for the M3 2020.

2. idudkim

idudkim New Member

Sorry, meant to say Dec 23-26.

• Funny x 1
  3. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

All new builds have been 2020 for at least a month or more now. It's just a different letter in the VIN- Tesla doesn't change things based on model year- they change things when ever the changes are ready... numerous ones have been made every year of Model 3 production throughout the year.

• Informative x 1
  4. FutureShock

FutureShock Member

#124 FutureShock, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    For MY2020? Well, there is the optional anti-coal-roller short-range defensive missile system.

It’s harsh, but fair. ;)

• Like x 1
  5. TomServo

TomServo Active Member

Can anyone confirm that MY20 Model 3 is now shipping with some PPF applied to high threat areas?

6. dc121gw

dc121gw Member

@TomServo Not that I've noticed, and if it's there, it wasn't mentioned at delivery. Exterior appears to be the same as MY2019.

7. JWSM3Owner

JWSM3Owner Member

I pick up my SR+ in two weeks. VIN is a 2020 car, no surprise there. Are folks who have the new model SR+ noticing a greater range? Tesla quoted a 250 mile range on the site when I bought, compared to 240 before. I read elsewhere in the forum the range gain this was due to physical changes and not software driven, so wondering if folks are noticing the promised range gain? Thanks.

8. Fazza

Fazza Member

d
    do share where said the range increase was a hardware change.. So far even Mr. Musk has said it's a software optimisation that has improved the range across all model 3s made to date.

9. jipvk

jipvk P3D+ | 2020 | FSD | White Interior | White

Would be nice if the changes actually get listed somewhere rather than having to read through the whole thread including people making joking 'changes' like rockets. Not very informative. :p

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

No factory/OEM PPF.

11. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

I agree - and maybe I'll make a formal list. In addition to the items I mentioned here earlier I also found this:

-Rear wheel well liners no longer have holes where plastic push-in clips can hold it to the body. They also seem to be stiffer and not have as much movement w/o clips. Possible other securing method?
    -Trunk seal on bumper seems more secure and lacks 'overlap' issue people have talked about in the past.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. FutureShock

FutureShock Member

If rockets are wrong, I don’t wanna be right. ;)

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  13. JWSM3Owner

JWSM3Owner Member

Well, if that’s the case then I stand corrected. But, still wondering if folks are seeing increased range on the SR+? I’ve read a lot about the 5% power increase and potential for greater efficiency from one-pedal driving, but haven’t read much about noticeable range gain. Just curious.

14. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

The one pedal driving efficiency thing was mainly for americans who are used to automatics so put the car into creep mode. If you keep it in normal mode nothing much has changed apart from you not using the brake. If you put it into creep mode you lose regen braking from i think 10mph rather than 4mph. don't think that will make any difference in range though.
    One-pedal driving mainly saves brakes because it uses the front motor to spin in reverse to slow the car down to a stop once you are slower than 3-4mph.

As far as the 5% power increase - apparently it is just software remapping and also equivalent to 5% more efficiency - I have not noticed that but I will go on a long distance cruise later today and I would definetly notice even a i.e. 3% increase in efficiency.

15. terryhitt

terryhitt New Member

My 2020 LR Dual Motor AWD Model 3 DID NOT have any PFF attached... also did not have frunk grocery clips or mat... delivery was Nov 9, 2019, has the VIN letter L in 10th digit space, otherwise was not noted on any paperwork....

16. Waverider317

Waverider317 Member

I just took delivery on Monday for a SR+ 2020 and can confirm I have 250

• Like x 1
  17. coconutboy84

coconutboy84 Member

did you have a chance to try supercharging again? would love to see that over 100kw rate haha

18. Waverider317

Waverider317 Member

Nope :( running the battery down quite a bit today and in the AM. Going to try again on lunch tomorrow haha I'm excited to see!!!

19. JWSM3Owner

JWSM3Owner Member

That’s awesome, glad to hear it. Congrats on the new car!

20. Sea3Ram

Sea3Ram Member

Took delivery of a 2020 stealth performance model yesterday, trading in 2018 LR RWD. Changes I have noticed:

1. Frunk grocery hooks are gone :(
    2. Homelink not standard, need to buy for $300 and get installed at SC :(
    3. The stalks have a more weighted feeling, so easier to deactivate the turn signal :)
    4. Mild, easy-to-miss pedestrian noise added at low speeds
    5. Feels a bit quieter but don't have measured data.

And the Performance acceleration is amazing!

• Informative x 3