Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered a Model 3 LR Dual Motor with delivery set to Dec 23-36.

The sales rep that I talked to at the showroom mentioned that all cars manufactured in December will be made as a 2020 model year. She also mentioned that the new model could feature faster charging.

When emailing her again about more details, she said "There is not current public information on the 2020 model now. Only internal email".

I would like to know if anyone else has heard about these "faster charging rates" for the M3 2020.

All new builds have been 2020 for at least a month or more now. It's just a different letter in the VIN- Tesla doesn't change things based on model year- they change things when ever the changes are ready... numerous ones have been made every year of Model 3 production throughout the year.

• Informative
Reactions: voxelman
I pick up my SR+ in two weeks. VIN is a 2020 car, no surprise there. Are folks who have the new model SR+ noticing a greater range? Tesla quoted a 250 mile range on the site when I bought, compared to 240 before. I read elsewhere in the forum the range gain this was due to physical changes and not software driven, so wondering if folks are noticing the promised range gain? Thanks.

d
I pick up my SR+ in two weeks. VIN is a 2020 car, no surprise there. Are folks who have the new model SR+ noticing a greater range? Tesla quoted a 250 mile range on the site when I bought, compared to 240 before. I read elsewhere in the forum the range gain this was due to physical changes and not software driven, so wondering if folks are noticing the promised range gain? Thanks.
do share where said the range increase was a hardware change.. So far even Mr. Musk has said it's a software optimisation that has improved the range across all model 3s made to date.

Would be nice if the changes actually get listed somewhere rather than having to read through the whole thread including people making joking 'changes' like rockets. Not very informative. :p
I agree - and maybe I'll make a formal list. In addition to the items I mentioned here earlier I also found this:

-Rear wheel well liners no longer have holes where plastic push-in clips can hold it to the body. They also seem to be stiffer and not have as much movement w/o clips. Possible other securing method?
-Trunk seal on bumper seems more secure and lacks 'overlap' issue people have talked about in the past.

• Informative
Reactions: jipvk and 7ESLA
d

do share where said the range increase was a hardware change.. So far even Mr. Musk has said it's a software optimisation that has improved the range across all model 3s made to date.

Well, if that’s the case then I stand corrected. But, still wondering if folks are seeing increased range on the SR+? I’ve read a lot about the 5% power increase and potential for greater efficiency from one-pedal driving, but haven’t read much about noticeable range gain. Just curious.

Well, if that’s the case then I stand corrected. But, still wondering if folks are seeing increased range on the SR+? I’ve read a lot about the 5% power increase and potential for greater efficiency from one-pedal driving, but haven’t read much about noticeable range gain. Just curious.

The one pedal driving efficiency thing was mainly for americans who are used to automatics so put the car into creep mode. If you keep it in normal mode nothing much has changed apart from you not using the brake. If you put it into creep mode you lose regen braking from i think 10mph rather than 4mph. don't think that will make any difference in range though.
One-pedal driving mainly saves brakes because it uses the front motor to spin in reverse to slow the car down to a stop once you are slower than 3-4mph.

As far as the 5% power increase - apparently it is just software remapping and also equivalent to 5% more efficiency - I have not noticed that but I will go on a long distance cruise later today and I would definetly notice even a i.e. 3% increase in efficiency.

I just took delivery on Monday for a SR+ 2020 and can confirm I have 250

Reactions: coconutboy84
Took delivery of a 2020 stealth performance model yesterday, trading in 2018 LR RWD. Changes I have noticed:

1. Frunk grocery hooks are gone :(
2. Homelink not standard, need to buy for $300 and get installed at SC :(
3. The stalks have a more weighted feeling, so easier to deactivate the turn signal :)
4. Mild, easy-to-miss pedestrian noise added at low speeds
5. Feels a bit quieter but don't have measured data.

And the Performance acceleration is amazing!