Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well done!
What I don't understand is how the EPA shows numbers for a 2020 model of cars that don't even exist like the Model 3 MR ; if they did any new testing it was obviously not on a 2020 MR

Yeah I do not really get that either, but note that all the numbers for those cars have not changed. So they are just a copy of the prior year - at least for now.

I noticed that the door sill looked a little different on one with temp tags I just saw in a parking lot but couldn't get a better view and it also may have been aftermarket. Has anyone with an October build date noticed a difference there?

Many of the EPA ratings are generated from data provided to them by the manufacturer. They can calculate ratings by weight, frontal area and drag coefficient.

Is this true? My understanding is that EPA ratings are provided by the manufacturer based on dyno test results with appropriate drag coefficients, on individual articles - it is not simulated. That being said I am not clear on the SR EPA vs the SR+.

Basic Search | Document Index System | US EPA

There are full tests for LR RWD, AWD, MR, and SR+. So far I see no test documents for Tesla 2020 models.

Previously Performance was the same as AWD due to low take rate and otherwise was the same vehicle. Performance 18” also can no longer be combined with AWD presumably because it has a different drive unit. Rating is better than AWD anyway, so they call it out.

Probably in 2020 they could lump the Performance PUP in with Performance 18” because it is probably low enough take rate, but out of basic decency it appears they are not going to do that.

In fact, they call out Performance 20”, 19”, and 18” individually in the ratings now. If you read between the lines I think you can conclude that all the Performance models are also getting an efficiency boost (not surprising), but it is difficult to compare apples to apples except in the 18” flavor.

2020 Model 3 LR Frunk

No hooks, no carpet

Attachments

• 5471F597-E827-479A-9E30-982ACEF62B8B.jpeg
    5471F597-E827-479A-9E30-982ACEF62B8B.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 705
Eliminate a few interior lights, quit providing charger adapters, and now strip the frunk. The bean counters have taken over - decontenting saves a few dollars but cheapens a “luxury” car in the face of building competition. Come on Tesla....you do so many other things right.
Sad, but true. Elon would probably say the 3 isn’t a Luxury car, but rather is a “People’s Car,” as it can be had for as little as $35k... as he plays to investors and Wall Street. Reminiscent of “Volkswagen,” actually a translation... Anyway, I love my late June build LR AWD w/FSD, frunk hooks and all! :)

Reactions: hmmwv
You get a very nice surprise if you are in CA.

While some states are still offering incentives for electric vehicle buyers, California will soon become the biggest state to start charging fees for EV ownership. California is estimated to account for about half of the country's EV sales, so the state is keen on recuperating some of the money it won't be making from gasoline taxes.

The fees will take effect starting with 2020 model year plug-in vehicles, Autoblog reports. Those vehicles will have one-time $100 registration fee upfront, followed by and annual registration fee that varies based on the market value of the vehicle. On the low end, the fees are $25 for a vehicle valued at less than $5,000, but anyone with a $60,000-plus plug-in vehicle will be paying $175 per year to keep their tags up to date.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White

While some states are still offering incentives for electric vehicle buyers, California will soon become the biggest state to start charging fees for EV ownership. California is estimated to account for about half of the country's EV sales, so the state is keen on recuperating some of the money it won't be making from gasoline taxes.

The fees will take effect starting with 2020 model year plug-in vehicles, Autoblog reports. Those vehicles will have one-time $100 registration fee upfront, followed by and annual registration fee that varies based on the market value of the vehicle. On the low end, the fees are $25 for a vehicle valued at less than $5,000, but anyone with a $60,000-plus plug-in vehicle will be paying $175 per year to keep their tags up to date.

In addition they are changing the MSRP requirements (must be less than $60k) to qualify for the $2500 CVRP, starting December 3rd, 2019. Wonder whether Tesla will soon squeeze the MSRP of Performance + PUP to below $60k, when including FSD? Keep an eye out for that! MSRP is going to likely go down by $2k in January anyway, and then it would only be $2-3k away from getting below $60k.

What should I know about the December 3rd program changes?

Note that there are proposals in the works which are talking about increasing the rebate to as much as $7500 in the future, in California. We'll see whether they come to fruition.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok

Given EVs don't pay gasoline tax, which funds roads, that makes perfect sense they pay more into transit funds another way.

NC started doing it this year. The extra amount is still significantly less than I used to pay in gasoline taxes... so I'd expect these kinds of fees will need to go up further as EVs gain larger market share if you don't want the roads in your state going to crap.

Reactions: Arctic_White