Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
China made cars all came with them from the end of Q1 2021. Don’t know when the US cars did, sometimes it seems to lag behind China for some reason.

A couple of things to check - only since around 2022 did the base model Model 3 start coming with heated steering wheel as standard, prior to that it had to be bought as a “Cold Weather Feature” option (check your app) which was a package of rear heated seats and heated wheel.

If you have a late 2020 MY21 car you may well have the compatible left body controller, and heated wheel (no seams at 10-to-2 is a good sign). If you have a LBC with P/N 1567455-00-C or later then you’re probably in luck, and can probably get your wheel switched on with the script I mentioned. If you have 1078673-32-L or earlier, like I do, then you’re probably outta luck. A Tesla tech will be able to run your VIN to tell you the replacement part.

China made cars all came with them from the end of Q1 2021. Don’t know when the US cars did, sometimes it seems to lag behind China for some reason.

A couple of things to check - only since around 2022 did the base model Model 3 start coming with heated steering wheel as standard, prior to that it had to be bought as a “Cold Weather Feature” option (check your app) which was a package of rear heated seats and heated wheel.

If you have a late 2020 MY21 car you may well have the compatible left body controller, and heated wheel (no seams at 10-to-2 is a good sign). If you have a LBC with P/N 1567455-00-C or later then you’re probably in luck, and can probably get your wheel switched on with the script I mentioned. If you have 1078673-32-L or earlier, like I do, then you’re probably outta luck. A Tesla tech will be able to run your VIN to tell you the replacement part.
First time I've read this, so thank you. Have a December build 2020 (MY2021) car, so would be helpful to look into this for me. Did you just call the parts department and ask them?

First time I've read this, so thank you. Have a December build 2020 (MY2021) car, so would be helpful to look into this for me. Did you just call the parts department and ask them?
Basically yes. If you give them your VIN and ask them what left body controller you have, they ought to be able to tell you.

The older left body controllers - like the one I've got - aren't compatible with a heated steering wheel (don't have the beefier MOSFETs required, and consequently probably don't have any firmware that supports it).

I have a tech friend as well as a service advisor friend at our local service center... :)
Hopefully you have more luck than me. I just heard back from my local SC who said they wouldn't be prepared to leave the car in an "abnormal state". They said the "the system" would revert it after a few days too (which I don't believe, configuration changes can be made sticky).

Oh well.