Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are derailing your own thread!! ;-)
That is very normal for the FSD package as it exists, and does not change with the latest release (or any release - it can't 'see' far enough). Sorry to hear you bought into the FSD myth. With FSD you get what you get and you don't get upset ;-)
Not quite true, if you bought the FSD package, the beta being tested right now is a ton better than what is in general release today. This is because it is able to keep track of what happened in previous frames and update on top of it. The current AP system only tracks things based on the current frame, which is why it can be quite jumpy and miss things.

The argument is mainly over if that functionality will still be ported over to people with normal AP after that comes out.

Reactions: Phlier and 808BOB
I doubt it will take 30 minutes to pre heat the car cabin to a comfortable temperature..... but nothing I or anyone else says will convince anyone who hasnt experienced this for themselves. You will find out when you get your car and try it.

There are some really good youtube videos on this with the new heat pump.

This one is my favorites:

The guy leaves his car plugged in outside overnight and it's 21 degrees F. Watch as he turns on the heat to 70 degrees F with all seat heaters and rear defrost and it heats to temp in 5-6 min. Good stuff.

There are some really good youtube videos on this with the new heat pump.

This one is my favorites:

The guy leaves his car plugged in outside overnight and it's 21 degrees F. Watch as he turns on the heat to 70 degrees F with all seat heaters and rear defrost and it heats to temp in 5-6 min. Good stuff.

Im in Rhode Island. Its currently 34 out. Nights in the low 20s. I preheat my 2021 LR for 3 minutes on defrost and seat warmers. I get in, and its blazing hot. My 2020 SR+ was no where close to that good.

I still want a heated wheel though HAHA!

Reactions: 1.21Jigawatts
="dhanson865, post: 5336857, member: 12454"]I don't leave my computer mouse laying outside in the parking lot at work 8 hours at a time. If it's at room temperature it isn't warming my hand but it isn't robbing a ton of heat from my hand either. A steering wheel that got down to 30F is going to be well below the temperature of my computer mouse even if I turn the heat pump on in my car for any reasonable amount of time. I'm not going to run the heat pump long enough to rob me of driving range just to warm the steering wheel, but I'll happily turn on a heated steering wheel.

As to the coat issue, when it's cold and windy out I don't want to get out of the car and stand in the cold to put my coat on. Maybe you are short or maybe your coat is but I don't find it easy to take off or put on a full length winter coat while sitting in my drivers seat. Even my medium coat or light jacket is hard to put on or take off while sitting behind the wheel. Forgive me for having long arms/being tall and having hands that can get cold easily.

That mouse comment cracked me up! Spoken like a true car owner who lives in a cold climate. It's not a coincidence that most of the folks (not all) who try to convince you that you don't need a heated wheel, also happen to live in CA, TX, FL, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious. Any of you guys have the heated rear seats? Was wondering if the heated steering wheel gets enabled when you get the rear heated seats.

Rear heated seats are standard on the LR AWD and Performance. The Stand Range Plus can purchase the rear heated seats as an upgrade for 300 bucks. I have the rear heated seats on my 21 LR AWD. Kids love them.

Reactions: 808BOB
I pick up mine on Tuesday. I'll tell you once I do whether it has the steering wheel. I did ask the SC whether it would have the Euro headlights and they said it will.
I pick up mine on Tuesday. I'll tell you once I do whether it has the steering wheel. I did ask the SC whether it would have the Euro headlights and they said it will.

I am excited to hear from you whether you are getting the heated steering wheel as well

If it's 30F outside I want the air in my car to be in the 60-70F range so I don't have to take my coat off, but I want the steering wheel in the 90-110F range to keep my hands warm. I won't be turning the heat pump up to max to get the steering wheel that warm.

In the last few weeks of freezing temps I've noticed that my non-heated M3 steering wheel warms up with air blowing directly over it from the dash vent when pre-warming the cabin. Only requires maybe 5-10 mins cabin pre-heat and the wheel actually gets fairly hot. The heated wheel on my MX on the other hand is a bit slow to warm up and then gets way too hot for my liking, so I always switch it off when driving.

My conclusion is that a heated wheel in the M3 is only a real benefit if you forget to pre-heat the cabin. That's the only time I notice the wheel feeling really cold. The position of the dash vent directly behind is quite an effective wheel heater in its own right.

Here you go...

IMG_0221.jpeg

Also new headlights confirmed.