Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you listen to news stations like CNN?

You can use TuneIn, has tons of stations.....just looking at it now, CNN, MSNBC, Fox, CNBC, Bloomberg, CBS, C-span, HLN, AP, etc, etc, in addition to numerous NPR stations. The other thing TuneIn has is realms of Podcasts.

The only thing I'm waiting for is Apple Music incorporated into the user interface....they have Spotify now....but I'm an Apple guy.

I had a service guy out today to to do some work I had scheduled so I asked about the seated wheel on the 3, and he said "Yes, all the 2021s have the same wheel and some are delivering with a FW thats not even in the SCs system". He plugged in his computer to see if he could enable the steering wheel heater on a chance that they updated their system to provide the ability to manually set it up, but its not even in their system to even set vehicles to the firmware that 3's are shipping with right now... thats how new this is he stated. He also said it will update at some point and all 2021s on with this wheel will have it.

Whether hes full of poop? We shall see....

Will this also be the case for a Y (heated steering wheel update)? What VIN number range would I look for? We had delivery of a Y mid December.

I believe it has more to do with the type of wheel, than the VIn, per se. If your wheel has metal scroll buttons and no seem at the top, your looking good IMO.
Im starting to think this steering wheel mystery is all a publicity stunt to keep people talking lol. Watch by the time they activate it in the summer all the headlines will be “Why did Tesla activate heated steering wheel in the summer!”

I had a service guy out today to to do some work I had scheduled so I asked about the seated wheel on the 3, and he said "Yes, all the 2021s have the same wheel and some are delivering with a FW thats not even in the SCs system". He plugged in his computer to see if he could enable the steering wheel heater on a chance that they updated their system to provide the ability to manually set it up, but its not even in their system to even set vehicles to the firmware that 3's are shipping with right now... thats how new this is he stated. He also said it will update at some point and all 2021s on with this wheel will have it.

I have a 2020 Y delivered in July with a steering wheel that does not have stitching at 11 & 2. I was in the SC yesterday and asked whether my wheel had the heater mechanism. The SC advisor looked it up and told me that the Model Y, all years, have3 2 part numbers for the wheel. One part # specifies that it is not heated, and the other part number is silent. The part # for my Y doesn’t specify. So, fingers crossed. (She also said many more people ask about Boombox than heated steering.)

Reactions: JaeTheDev
Sorry if the following may pop anyone's balloon:
I just had my Tesla service rep investigate whether my 2021 M3P steering wheel heater can be activated to some day give my fingers some heat. Here is his answer:

I looked into your heated steering wheel question. Based off the build information there is not a heated steering wheel installed. Currently we do not have a retrofit to install one, and I have not heard if this will be a future add-on if the car did not come with it originally equipped.

My car info: Build date: 12-20, Delivery date: 12-29-20, VIN: 876XXX

My only questions: Whom to believe? What "build information" is he going by? (He of course responded that this is "proprietary information".)

Who has authority to dispense with real information in this company? And why do so many associated with Tesla carry so much secrecy around?

I am still confused by all the contradictory rumors voiced in this thread, and I have not seen anyone here confirm that:

1. A steering wheel in their 2021 Model 3 is installed
2. It did not work
3. Tesla remotely activated it.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Sorry to pop anyone's balloon: I just had my Tesla service rep investigate whether my 2021 M3P steering wheel heater can be activated to some day give my fingers some heat. Here is his answer:

I looked into your heated steering wheel question. Based off the build information there is not a heated steering wheel installed. Currently we do not have a retrofit to install one, and I have not heard if this will be a future add-on if the car did not come with it originally equipped.

My only questions: Whom to believe? What "build information" is he going by? (He of course responded that this is "proprietary information".)

Who has authority to dispense with real information in this company? And why does anyone associated with Tesla carry so much secrecy around? Is this some kind of power trip, so the little guys whose last name is not Musk can feel in charge?

I am still confused by all the contradictory rumors voiced in this thread, and I have not seen anyone here state that:
1. They already have the heated steering wheel in their 2021 Model 3 installed, but it did not work
2. Tesla remotely activated it.

I’m in the doubt camp as well... I’m sure as with any brand, lots of the sales & service people don’t know what they are talking about.

Sorry if the following may pop anyone's balloon:
I just had my Tesla service rep investigate whether my 2021 M3P steering wheel heater can be activated to some day give my fingers some heat. Here is his answer:

Who has authority to dispense with real information in this company? And why do so many associated with Tesla carry so much secrecy around?

I am still confused by all the contradictory rumors voiced in this thread, and I have not seen anyone here confirm that:

1. A steering wheel in their 2021 Model 3 is installed
2. It did not work
3. Tesla remotely activated it.

I’ve noticed most Tesla SAs and Service people, so whatever to move on from ones concern or question.

I was told a while back SR+s couldn’t have the rear seats activated for heat as well. Turns out, that was a lie as well.

Reactions: Hitman006XP
I followed up with the service advisor, and specifically asked him how reliable his information was. Here is what he wrote back:

I used our internal vehicle configuration viewer and saw the following input - Steering Heater Type: NONE. I could not find any documentation of an exact cutoff, or what vehicles it may have been pre-installed at this time. I reached out to several colleagues as well to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

Why is everyone in this thread so focused on the steering wheel heat?

Dude got 456 sentry mode events in his first 4 days of ownership and we're all like, yeah, that's the 808 for ya.

View attachment 635486
I'm old(er) whose hands get cold easily. A warm steering wheel (like my Volt) IS a luxury for some, but not for me. I was disappointed that my 2019 M3 didn't include it.

I'm not trying to be a downer here but what stops Tesla from selling the heated steering wheel for $200 as an upgrade for every person that has the hardware installed via a future update. Not too far fetched, they have been selling the back seat heaters for a while.

Sorry, speaking as the community realist.

I'm not trying to be a downer here but what stops Tesla from selling the heated steering wheel for $200 as an upgrade for every person that has the hardware installed via a future update. Not too far fetched, they have been selling the back seat heaters for a while.

If that is the case I imagine they'd include it in the Long Range and Performance models, but not in the Standard Range.

Reactions: dhanson865

Don't tell Tesla, but I would pay $200 for the heated steering wheel! I'm hoping my $60,000 car includes it for "free", but I would pay for it if I had to!