Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per my SA today.

"No worries! Let me help clarify, as of right now Tesla has not announced the heated steering wheel for the Model 3. Only available in the Model Y, we haven’t delivered any Model 3’s at our location with the heated steering wheel. Your Model 3 might have the feature in the wheel but not turned on yet. Hopefully in the near future Tesla sends out an update to give you that capability."

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX and Npap
Sucks how obsolete my 2019 is

No heated wheel. No BoomBox. Literally no point in driving if I can't troll the kids in my neighborhood with an ice cream truck siren while keeping my phalanges warm

Agreed! But, that being said. Dærik on YT has a June Model Y, installed the pedestrian speaker, and Tesla turned it on for him. Can this be done for the Model 3 as well? Perhaps?

So, I brought my M3 in for some service items... I asked if they could update my software to the latest version... The SA told me "yeah, no problem." I then told her about the heated steering wheel and her response changed to "I think we can update it."
We shall see tomorrow or Wednesday...
*My M3 came with a small dent on the lower rocker panel. Covered under "new car" warranty. <- dent repair person would fix today or tomorrow.
*Had a small ding in the interior passenger seat cup holder (door panel). <-- replacing the entire door panel.
*White (lithium?) grease on the back seat? <- Detailers will try to remove. If it doesn't come out, they will replace the bench seat.

Why must this be so complicated? Why is there no authority or database a Tesla owner can access to determine whether a (eventually heatable) steering wheel was installed, starting with VIN #XXX XXX?

I am continuously surprised at the coexistence of competency and incompetence in a car company that, like no other, has been identified with the digital age- an age that leaves literally no room for subjective discretion or interpretation: things are either on or off, installed or not installed.

Why must this be so complicated? Why is there no authority or database a Tesla owner can access to determine whether a (eventually heatable) steering wheel was installed, starting with VIN #XXX XXX?

I am continuously surprised at the coexistence of competency and incompetence in a car company that, like no other, has been identified with the digital age- an age that leaves literally no room for subjective discretion or interpretation: things are either on or off, installed or not installed.
The service system, the factory, and the software definitely knows the difference. Otherwise they wouldn't be able even offer that option. Tesla has very specific part numbers and revision numbers when they change things.

Tesla however has no reason to make such a tool available to users, as Tesla didn't even advertise that a heated steering wheel exists (this was different than even the rear heated seats case, where they did note that in the options).

Of course Tesla knows, but they don't want us to know in advance because people would reject their VINs and Tesla would not be in position to sell the stock cars without that feature.

Tesla however has no reason to make such a tool available to users, as Tesla didn't even advertise that a heated steering wheel exists.
Why would Tesla NOT announce a desirable improvement to their cars? The logic escapes me.
I wonder whether people will eventually tire of that "we don't care about your needs" attitude? Maybe once there's serious EV competition?

I have seen this before: with Apple. Jobs also did not give a *sugar* about his customers. Only once Tim Cook took over, and after many disastrous years of pay-for-fee technical support for Apple product owners did things change. Customer support is again free and now the best in business.

Reactions: XPsionic
So, I brought my M3 in for some service items... I asked if they could update my software to the latest version... The SA told me "yeah, no problem." I then told her about the heated steering wheel and her response changed to "I think we can update it."
We shall see tomorrow or Wednesday...
*My M3 came with a small dent on the lower rocker panel. Covered under "new car" warranty. <- dent repair person would fix today or tomorrow.
*Had a small ding in the interior passenger seat cup holder (door panel). <-- replacing the entire door panel.
*White (lithium?) grease on the back seat? <- Detailers will try to remove. If it doesn't come out, they will replace the bench seat.

My mobile rep said basically the same thing. He said, "if its available to update, Ill do it" and they toggle for him to enable it, is not present. He said the way it works is the heated wheel button will show up, on the screen whether it has the wheel or not, so we do the update, then see if the wheel heats up. Like I stated, the wheel toggle wasnt even available for him to toggle on, so its not in their system yet, hense the non public software that comes with the heated wheel on....

Also, a YTer ordered a heated wheel for his Y and got the wheel, and it said NOT HEATED right on it.

I dont know what to think now. LOL

Why would Tesla NOT announce a desirable improvement to their cars? The logic escapes me.
I wonder whether people will eventually tire of that "we don't care about your needs" attitude? Maybe once there's serious EV competition?
They didn't explicitly advertise the heat pump either. Social media and people handwringing about it (like people are doing now in this forum ironically) does it all for them. That's been Tesla's MO since a long time. If people stop doing that, Tesla would have incentive to change, but I doubt people can resist. For the same reason, as I mentioned elsewhere, if journalists would completely stop reporting on Tesla until they revive their PR department, Tesla would have incentive to do so. Yet journalists can't resist on giving free reporting for Tesla (many times disproportionate to other companies with functioning PR departments).

As others pointed out, the obvious reason is they don't want people to reject cars for not having the feature. They want to give the factory flexibility in parts, without people rejecting cars left and right (or down the line taking legal action for a certain feature missing after taking delivery).

Reactions: TBrownTX