Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be amused if SR+ cars equipped with the heated steering wheel but not activated can swap the wheel with older cars that want the hardware to activate.
No reason they shouldn't be able to, I would've have thought.

There is a minor harness change (extra blue connector) but this harness is part of the wheel assembly, as is the controller. From some investigative work a guy in China has already done, the plug and wires that go into it that connects the wheel to the rest of the car is identical.

The wheel has been designed quite smartly so that all of the necessary wiring that matters is part of the wheel itself, so swapping a steering wheel should just function, in its basic sense anyway (scroll wheels, horn, etc).

What will be interesting to see is whether a heated steering wheel installed on a pre-2021 car makes either the option appear in the app to buy it (when it becomes available), whether it automatically enables if it you already have the "premium interior" option code, or whether it just doesn't acknowledge it at all.

Ask 100 SA or service techs, youll set 100 different answers.
I think this is slightly inaccurate (about same SKU), I think, no offence.

There is quite a bit of confusion over the parts and I suspect only Tesla know what's what.

I had a long chat with a UK Tesla tech earlier in the week about sourcing a heated steering wheel for my 2020 M3P (which never had one of course) and he told me the following:

There are two seperate steering wheel assembly parts in the EPCs now, both Europe and US. For MIC cars, the part number for the heated steering wheel is 1490214-CN-B - M3Y - HEAT SW ASSY, PUR, MadeInChina. For US Model 3 and Y, it is 1490214-00-B - M3Y - HEAT SW ASSY, PUR. The tech thinks these wheels are essentially identical and just have different SKUs for the purposes of logistics.

There is also a 1095222-90-O part code on both US and Europe EPCs. The tech told me that this is the "latest design" of the steering wheel - i.e. metal scroll wheel, no cuts at the top, but is NOT heated.

In the UK at least - the price of the MIC and US heated wheel is £975.00. The other wheel (same for EU/US) is £475.00.

He is "99% sure" that the only cars that have the heated steering wheel hardware are cars being delivered now from Shanghai (Europe) and Fremont (US), because of the price delta and the fact there are - even today - two separate part numbers for the steering wheel assembly.

He also ran a MY21 MIC SR+ and LR VIN through their systems and told me that they both give him the same MIC steering wheel part for reordering. Given that MIC SR+s are being delivered in the UK without the heated steering wheel being activated, and LRs are - this points to Tesla offering a (paid) OTA upgrade like rear heated seats for MY21 SR+ owners soon.

People in the UK who have collected their cars have also been able to upgrade to 2020.4.11 - the latest mainline firmware - and STILL have heated steering wheel activated. This blows apart the logic that its availabe only on the funky delivery firmware, and everyone with a one-piece/metal scroll wheel car is just waiting for a special firmware update one day to finally get it.

There may be a crossover period with parts where some people got a 1490214-00-B wheel installed, but it hasn't been activated, but it seems logical to assume that only cars being delivered now definitively have it.

I've ordered a MIC steering wheel to install in my 2020 M3P. I'm not expecting the heating to work, but should be interesting to see whether a) the option to buy heating appears in the app when it does for MY21 SR+ owners or b) the car can be coded to have the feature enabled.

For what it's worth - although it might seem strange for Tesla to supply a redesigned wheel without the internal heating hardware, it isn't outside the realm of possibility. They did after all change the wing mirror harnesses three times to provide dimming, take it away, then bring it back again.

Thanks for the info! Can you link me to the place in message where I can also order the heated wheel?

I just phoned one of the major service centres in the UK, in London. You would just need to phone your local service centre and ask to buy that part number (1490214-00-B).

I would be wary though - it is a lot of money to spend when you might end up with a wheel that does nothing more than your current one does. Even if it has the heating hardware inside, it might require Tesla to code the option to your car if it was never meant to have it. That could be a problem, if they dig their heels in and say "there's no retrofit".

I just phoned one of the major service centres in the UK, in London. You would just need to phone your local service centre and ask to buy that part number (1490214-00-B).

I would be wary though - it is a lot of money to spend when you might end up with a wheel that does nothing more than your current one does. Even if it has the heating hardware inside, it might require Tesla to code the option to your car if it was never meant to have it. That could be a problem, if they dig their heels in and say "there's no retrofit".

If a dude can make a 2020 Y work with it, Im sure a 2021 December built 3 LR would have even better luck. I reached out to my SA (whos off on Fridays though) to see what he thinks. Ill update when he writes back. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Durzel
Took delivery on 2/24 of my M3 LR and it has the heated wheel. It came with 2020.39.111. This afternoon, I got a notification that the newest available was 2021.4.10.1. After upgrading, just minutes ago, I can confirm the heated wheel still shows up under the heating options. I cannot speak for cars who never showed the heated wheel, but I can confirm those who had it come enabled with the car can safely upgrade.

View attachment 640793 View attachment 640794
Can i know your VIN please?

My SA stated yesterday that my vehicle does not have the hardware needed to have the steering wheel activated. Left it as that, so Ill wait for someone to retrofit it themselves successfully and Ill follow suit.
I should know reasonably quickly.. depends on how fast Tesla UK can get a wheel from Shanghai over to me. It's on order.

The only thing I am certain of is that the wheel will fit, and the connectors that attach to the car are the same (physically).

I would presume that the scroll wheels on the new wheel will work, as there is no security reason they shouldn't (i.e. not paired to the car like the RFID reader). The heated functionality will almost certainly not work, as in there wouldn't be a button on screen or in the app to turn it off and on - as it would be a feature flag that Tesla would need to enable.

On the basis that it seems inevitable that it will be offered as a paid upgrade for SR+ owners, it seems like it would be something Tesla can toggle on - like FSD, EAP, rear heated seats, etc.

The necessary hardware is inside the steering wheel - the harness and the controller. Tesla rather smartly designed the Model 3 to have the controlling hardware actually inside the wheel itself.

Someone jury rigged a 2021 heated steering wheel to work on an older car, using power from the car, so it is certainly possible for a pre-2021 car to provide sufficient voltage to power the heating element.

Reactions: TBrownTX
As if by magic I got a reply from a Tesla tech about "activating the wheel":

Currently this is not a retrofit that Tesla offer and whilst the wheel may fit the function of it is not enabled on your vehicle. That’s not to say that it wont become a retrofit option in the future but currently it not something we offer, keep on eye on the upgrades section of the app as any upgrades that become available will be on there.

Pretty black and white. Hopefully things will change in due course. I'm probably going to get and fit the wheel anyway because I'm keen to see what happens.

Ordered 12/30 Blue/ white M3LR, delivered 2/27 with heated steering. Car drives and performs great- better than expectations. Two minor issues at delivery. A small scratch on a door panel that cannot be buffed ( cut through paint) and an annoying rattle in the passenger seat belt when driving solo. No sound if passenger in car. SC appt next week to fix these.

Reactions: Npap