Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn it, I've got 909xxx coming. Was quite sure it would get the heated steering wheel...

I have a 903xxx MSM White Vin - constructed on 3/5. If that doesn't have the wheel, I will be so sad.

My guess is the Euro and Asian M3's might not have the same parts availability as the US M3's, if you ordered a US M3 I wouldnt be too worried, I havent seen anything to suggest Fremont M3's after 901,9XX WONT have the heated wheel. It also seems that Tesla does not produce the cars sequential to their VIN's, what I mean by that is, it seems they allocate the VIN's to model lines prior to production and then produce them in waves. There are M3's with lower VIN's that have been manufactured AFTER other models with higher numbered VINs.

Reactions: Npap
Figured I would stir the pot some...

"Minor cold weather improvements..." ;)

No reason they shouldn't be able to, I would've have thought.

There is a minor harness change (extra blue connector) but this harness is part of the wheel assembly, as is the controller. From some investigative work a guy in China has already done, the plug and wires that go into it that connects the wheel to the rest of the car is identical.

The wheel has been designed quite smartly so that all of the necessary wiring that matters is part of the wheel itself, so swapping a steering wheel should just function, in its basic sense anyway (scroll wheels, horn, etc).

What will be interesting to see is whether a heated steering wheel installed on a pre-2021 car makes either the option appear in the app to buy it (when it becomes available), whether it automatically enables if it you already have the "premium interior" option code, or whether it just doesn't acknowledge it at all.
Do you have the link to the guy in china? 12/20 M3 LR here and I'd like to see if I have the same connector.

Do you have the link to the guy in china? 12/20 M3 LR here and I'd like to see if I have the same connector.
This is the main thread, on Reddit:

I don't know if you'd be able to work out if you have the extra blue connector circled in red in one of the images on that linked thread, without disassembling your steering wheel to get access to it.

There is also this analysis:

One of the assertions made in that video that there is only one part number in the EPC meaning that there has only ever been one is flawed, I think. I think Tesla have (wrongly in my opinion) silently removed older/obsolete parts from the EPC. The steering wheel in my car (2020 M3P), for example, does not exist in the UK EPC. There is only a newer revision version of it listed.

• Informative
Reactions: 808BOB
New(er) harness, the extra blue connector is for the heating element:

yil3ve6myrd61.jpg

Older harness (see here for example)

s-l1600.jpg

Note the extra blue connector on the left.

I officially abandoned hope that the steering wheel will be enabled via an update for the 12/2020 and 1/2021 US delivered 2021 Model 3's. Stinks, but I just dont think its going to happen. Oh well.

Same here... I was holding out hope but it seems pretty certain that if you don't currently have a heated wheel, you don't have the hardware. Oh well. What *really* stinks is that there are likely tens of thousands of them in warm climates or in SR+ cars that will never even be used.

Same here... I was holding out hope but it seems pretty certain that if you don't currently have a heated wheel, you don't have the hardware. Oh well. What *really* stinks is that there are likely tens of thousands of them in warm climates or in SR+ cars that will never even be used.
On a long enough timeline there will be wrecked Model 3s you can get a steering wheel from (although airbag will have probably blown).

I'm cautiously optimistic that the hard part of actually retrofitting this is getting Tesla to unlock the option on the vehicle.

Chalk me up as someone who will RARELY use the heated steering wheel. Having lived in the Bay Area for most of my life, there are only a handful of days that get cold enough to use it. Even on those mornings, it’s probably only needed for 20min or less. 🤷‍♂️
I would love to give the wheel to someone who would use it… but there’s no way I’m taking that wheel out. 😂

Has anyone got in EU heated steering wheel?
I am a member in a German Tesla fans forum and following a thread about the heated steering wheel in M3s so I can tell you that no one in Germany has so far got a delivered M3 with heated steering wheel ... even a recent delivered M3LR VIN904 doesn't have it.
There are couple of deliveries (M3P, M3LR and M3SR+) with VIN909 are planned on 26th and 27th of March. We will wait and see what the owners are going to report.

• Informative
Reactions: Npap and Phlier