Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still waiting to see which happens first

* heated steering wheel shows up on tesla.com/model3
* the Knoxville service center opens up (supposedly will happen this month)

at this rate I'm thinking the service center might happen before the heated steering wheel.

Is it too much to ask that I can see in writing if a SR+ or LR AWD will definitely have a heated wheel before I order?
Since your car comes from Fremont - I think we can say with certainty that if you purchase a LR now, then it will have a heated wheel. SR+ - who knows - if its really important to you then go with the LR. Good luck and enjoy.

Reactions: tamon77
So I picked up my M3LR in the UK last week but no heated steering wheel.
Opened the app today and there it is!

Attachments

• 2E0D7669-88B2-41F8-9FA2-9F9ED386153A.png
    2E0D7669-88B2-41F8-9FA2-9F9ED386153A.png
    869.4 KB · Views: 218
So I picked up my M3LR in the UK last week but no heated steering wheel.
Opened the app today and there it is!
So if I understand correct, you mean that it didn't even show that option in the app last week and today it popped up?
Have you got the chance to test it? is it working? Does it show this option in the car now also? Or only in the app on the mobile phone?
Was it then an app/software update you got yesterday which changed that for you?

Sorry for the too many questions 😅

Quite a few people reported in the UK that they got MIC LRs without a heated steering wheel, when they should've had it.

Likewise a number of LR owners reported missing front foglight options in the car.

I know that the latter was pushed to owners that had reported it missing, but when I spoke to a ranger yesterday he didn't seem to think that heated steering wheel was something that could be pushed OTA, since it technically is not advertised.

Would be very interested to know if @SirBob genuinely didn't have it at all on delivery, whether he asked Tesla to sort it out, or whether it just appeared (and what made it appear, i.e. random, after an update, etc)

Daerik on YT do a live video every Sunday, and they confirmed that the new heated wheel would work by swapping the old wheel with a new one, but the SC wont enable it until "headquarters" says its ok to. WOMP. Search for their video from last night and skip about halfway through it and give a listen.
Do you happen to know where in the video it is discussed? I presume you mean this one?

It's 2 hours long and I don't have time to scan it :( Thanks in advance.

We picked up our model 3 sr+ on March 17th. VIN #920xxx, it has the seamless steering wheel, but no heat. Car was in today to have a small paint flaw fixed, the service tech said that it was likely just bad timing in the production line. He also said they don't have any info on retrofitting yet, but we should keep following up. Looks like you either have it or you don't, it doesn't seem like a software update will be the answer.

Yeah, it'd be nice to know when the hardware was installed. My car has the 'new' wheel, but don't think it has the hardware for heat. I tried to see if it shows up on the app, but it's too hot already, so doesn't show anything. But it's not on the screen's climate menu, so I'm 99% sure my wheel simply doesn't have the heating element. Not a big deal to me, fortunately. Ha ha.

Quite a few people reported in the UK that they got MIC LRs without a heated steering wheel, when they should've had it.

Likewise a number of LR owners reported missing front foglight options in the car.

I know that the latter was pushed to owners that had reported it missing, but when I spoke to a ranger yesterday he didn't seem to think that heated steering wheel was something that could be pushed OTA, since it technically is not advertised.

Would be very interested to know if @SirBob genuinely didn't have it at all on delivery, whether he asked Tesla to sort it out, or whether it just appeared (and what made it appear, i.e. random, after an update, etc)
So...
My car has the new style wheel and the heated wheel option wasn’t available either in car or on the app. Definitely looked as it was one of the things I was worried I miss out on when I changed my order to collect from existing stock to get the £2.5k discount Tesla gave for cars collected in March after the EV grant was removed by the government.
To the best of my knowledge the car hasn’t done an update since the day I collected it and I installed 2012.4.12, so I’m not sure what triggered it. One outside possibility is that bought the IOS ‘stats’ app and it was in that that I first noticed the option to hear the wheel. The first time I went into the heating section it wasn’t and option and then on the second time the wheel popped up. When I immediately went to the Tesla app to see, it was also appearing there. Not sure if the stats app some how flagged it up (surely not).
Yes the wheel definitely warms up and yes the option is also there in he car as well. Sorry I can’t help more!

Reactions: Durzel and Kienan
Yup, the harness was changed, and has an extra blue connector - which is what you've got.

As you say - it is software locked and presumably will be offered as an OTA option at some point soon (in Tesla time).

EDIT: If you're curious, it's the blue connector at the bottom of your steering wheel - but I guess you know that since you photographed it.

Last edited:
Yup, the harness was changed, and has an extra blue connector - which is what you've got.

As you say - it is software locked and presumably will be offered as an OTA option at some point soon (in Tesla time).

EDIT: If you're curious, it's the blue connector at the bottom of your steering wheel - but I guess you know that since you photographed it.
I did not know that. but I can see that now. I just saw in earlier threads w/o heated wheel its only two blue connectors. with its 3 blue

Reactions: Durzel
You could remove the airbag (without disconnecting it) and probably be able to see if that blue connector is there. Removing the airbag for a look is simple.

Of course, even if it is there it doesn't really help you that much - until such time as Tesla deigns us with the ability to unlock it as an option. I'd personally say it's pretty much a certainly that MIC SR+s will be offered it, and the jury is out on whether Q1 on Fremont cars will.

My gut feeling is that Fremont cars that don't already have it and should (LR and P) probably don't have the heated wheel hardware, and SR+ owners it's basically a crapshoot because you could have the hardware or not and it still wouldn't have been activated. Only way to be sure is to check.

From 5:01 onwards in that video you can see how much slack is on the cable connecting the airbag to the car, so there's plenty enough to be able to see if the blue connector is at the bottom.

Of note in the above "steering wheel removal" video you can see quite clearly that he doesn't have that extra blue connector, but he also has the seam/non-metal scroll wheel version, so obviously wouldn't have it.

If you have the blue connector at the bottom, you have a wheel that is capable of heating. If you don't, you don't.

You could remove the airbag (without disconnecting it) and probably be able to see if that blue connector is there. Removing the airbag for a look is simple.

Of course, even if it is there it doesn't really help you that much - until such time as Tesla deigns us with the ability to unlock it as an option. I'd personally say it's pretty much a certainly that MIC SR+s will be offered it, and the jury is out on whether Q1 on Fremont cars will.

My gut feeling is that Fremont cars that don't already have it and should (LR and P) probably don't have the heated wheel hardware, and SR+ owners it's basically a crapshoot because you could have the hardware or not and it still wouldn't have been activated. Only way to be sure is to check.

From 5:01 onwards in that video you can see how much slack is on the cable connecting the airbag to the car, so there's plenty enough to be able to see if the blue connector is at the bottom.

Of note in the above "steering wheel removal" video you can see quite clearly that he doesn't have that extra blue connector, but he also has the seam/non-metal scroll wheel version, so obviously wouldn't have it.

If you have the blue connector at the bottom, you have a wheel that is capable of heating. If you don't, you don't.

I have an early December 2020 built 2021 M3 LR, so Im pretty sure I do not have the hardware needed, but ya never know! One thing I got going for me is my vehicle was supposed to be a showroom car. I had it assigned to me prior to them shipping it to sit at Mt. Kisco. I got lucky there. LOL

Reactions: Durzel
I'm curious if my VIN xxx8602xx has the plug or not, but no way I'll check it myself. Ha ha. Hopefully other owners with a slightly earlier build than mine will have the 'eggs' to do that. Ha ha. My wheel is the 'vegan' one, which looks the same as now, therefore it's possible. Just checked on my app, and if I turn on climate, the steering wheel is not there, and I do have the latest software version. My guess is the wheel doesn't have the hardware, but maybe I'm wrong. And if I am wrong, why the hell Tesla didn't activate it already, if our LR cars were supposed to have it from a while back?