Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that many people are missing the july official statement from Panasonic that the 2170 at GF1 were due of a 5% increase in density starting from september from upgraded production line. That's the main reason of the range increase.

‘2170’ CELLS

Panasonic has already developed technologies resulting in a more than 5% increase in the energy density of “2170” cells.

From September, the firm will start converting lines at its factory in Nevada
that it operates with Tesla as it prepares to further boost the energy density of the cells, Takamoto said.

To control safety risks associated with higher density and less cobalt, Panasonic is adjusting the composition and design for better thermal stability, Takamoto said.

This changes things up quite a bit. While the changes on the Aero wheels are subtle, I could live with the new ones. Slightly faster acceleration on the P is unexpected but nice. The range difference between LR AWD and P has increased however, makes it a bit more difficult to choose the P over the AWD.

I may be a minority, but I don't like the all-black trim. I preferred the old style, especially on a white car.

I like the new aero wheels MUCH better than the old ones, and the new console looks great too.

Laminated side glass would be nice, but likely doesn’t address the road noise issue on concrete/textured surfaces by itself since that seems to be mostly transmitted through the suspension and body shell.

I’d like to drive one to see how it feels for myself.

Last edited:
language in the Acceleration Boost of my upgrades changed. it used to say 4.4s to 3.9s now its 4.2s to 3.7s

does this mean my car can do 0-60 .2s faster?

Attachments

• Image from iOS (6).jpg
    Image from iOS (6).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 83
I wonder if it's actually any faster. I have the acceleration boost and the numbers quoted, before and after, were always slower than reality.

So the question is, is it faster or is it more honest?

FWIW I've run verified 3.4X many times with my boosted AWD. And, 3.9X many times prior to the boost.

Reactions: ballison404
I like the new aero wheels MUCH better than the old ones, and the new console looks great too.

Laminated side glass would be nice, but likely doesn’t address the road noise issue on concrete/textured surfaces by itself since that seems to be mostly transmitted through the suspension and body shell.

I’d like to drive one to see how it feels for myself.

- this video has a few accessories, one of them is a rubber seal that helps with the road noise coming through. Might be worth a look.

So looking at this in more detail range increases are as follows:

SR+: +5.20%
AWD LR: + 9.63%
AWD Performance: +5.35%

Every model is seeing minimum 5% improvement across the board, likely due to battery improvements that were mentioned earlier this year. It seems model Y is seeing similar improvements as well.

Something additional is happening with the AWD LR however. I suspect that it's probably the heat pump, but why only on the LR? I can understand that cost concerns may have prevented its inclusion in the SR+, but I can't understand why it would be left out of the Performance model. Or has something else been done to the P that negates the improvement from the heat pump? Shaving 0.1 sec off the 0-100km acceleration time is nice, but I hope that's not what cost a potential 4-5% extra range improvement.

I'm a bit torn here. I was set on ordering a M3P and live with the more fragile wheels and slightly reduced range to get the fastest 3 and track mode, but now that the range difference between the LR and the P has significantly widened, it's becoming harder to put down the extra $10,000 (Canadian $) for the P. The new range of the P would be enough for sure, but comparatively speaking, it doesn't look as good as it used to.

Every model is seeing minimum 5% improvement across the board, likely due to battery improvements that were mentioned earlier this year. It seems model Y is seeing similar improvements as well.

Something additional is happening with the AWD LR however. I suspect that it's probably the heat pump, but why only on the LR? I can understand that cost concerns may have prevented its inclusion in the SR+, but I can't understand why it would be left out of the Performance model. Or has something else been done to the P that negates the improvement from the heat pump? Shaving 0.1 sec off the 0-100km acceleration time is nice, but I hope that's not what cost a potential 4-5% extra range improvement.

I'm a bit torn here. I was set on ordering a M3P and live with the more fragile wheels and slightly reduced range to get the fastest 3 and track mode, but now that the range difference between the LR and the P has significantly widened, it's becoming harder to put down the extra $10,000 (Canadian $) for the P. The new range of the P would be enough for sure, but comparatively speaking, it doesn't look as good as it used to.
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully its a temporary thing and they change that later on

Seems like it would be a big change if they actually modified the LR internally in some way to significantly change it's range vs the P beyond just wheels and acceleration.

My guess (and hope) is that it's the same as before, where if you put the LR wheels on the P, and set it to chill mode, it's the same range. That's what this older chart seems to indicate: Teslike.com

Previously the P is just LR with wheels that degrade range a bit, and a tendency to eat more charge off the line.

Regardless, I love those new P wheels, and the bump in range is enough for me. So I'm even less interested in the LR than before. P for me.

Talked with my SA in Denmark today. He mentioned that there are no possibility for my order placed on 9th of October to be the refreshed model. So far I haven’t been assigned any VIN. I ordered an SR+.

Yesterday all models was set to arrive somewhere between November and December.

I’m curious if they just don’t know right now what’s the real truth is internally. All the rumours of new refreshed models already departed to Europe. Would seem to fit into the estimated delivery between November/December that was stated on their website until today.

What you guys think?