Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is weird because I had also read that the heat pump applies to ALL models based on what someone at a SC mentioned to another forum member.

If I remember correctly, that forum member is in Canada, if we read the same message. I wonder if it is possible that the SR+s coming out of Shanghai don't include it, while the ones from Fremont do? The amount of sense that would make is approaching zero though...

If true, that's a huge bummer... LR wasn't really an option because it isn't eligible for the Canadian EV incentive, so I would have been paying an extra ~17k. This seems like something pretty critical in colder climates like northern Europe and Canada... Having it at a 'luxury feature' on the higher end trims feels like something that should just be an optional add-on at the very least.

If I remember correctly, that forum member is in Canada, if we read the same message. I wonder if it is possible that the SR+s coming out of Shanghai don't include it, while the ones from Fremont do? The amount of sense that would make is approaching zero though...

If true, that's a huge bummer... LR wasn't really an option because it isn't eligible for the Canadian EV incentive, so I would have been paying an extra ~17k. This seems like something pretty critical in colder climates like northern Europe and Canada... Having it at a 'luxury feature' on the higher end trims feels like something that should just be an optional add-on at the very least.
That's what I'm thinking now too which is very, very strange. I can't complain but I feel bad for all those in Europe and other markets who won't see the upgrade

That's what I'm thinking now too which is very, very strange. I can't complain but I feel bad for all those in Europe and other markets who won't see the upgrade

That's my best guess too at this point. The only thing I can think of is maybe all Model 3 trims will include the hardware, but it will only come 'standard' in the LR and P trims. Similar to the rear heated seats, maybe it's something that SR/SR+ owners could unlock in the app by paying an extra couple grand or something. That's the only way I can reconcile that Tesla wording, and the forum member's report from their service centre.

@nicklast1994, @Morriscoombes, @Pemple, @Eddie1218, @jjlatval, @Dinsdale, @To3OrNotTo3 – thank you all for sharing your delivery date estimates and looks like we are all in the same boat (metaphorically and literately). It’s a good sign for Tesla demand as it seems that there are lot of people on back order and either matched to the next ship and the one after that. I’m on the latter from what the Tesla SA said and so expecting a December car. Hopefully it comes before we get any snowy conditions - as we are going to one car which is RWD and tail happy until the Tesla replaces my wife's car void.

@EV Promoter thanks for the update … hopefully not too long and damn those ships hold a lot of cars J

@To3OrNotTo3 I don’t have a delivery indication as yet – still waiting for a date in the app but Tesla SA told me to expect a car in late November / more likely early December. It’s also not uncommon for the my account section not to get updated, but if you want to check it’s worth calling Tesla as they have been very helpful on orders and order dates.

Reactions: Dinsdale
It'd be nice if we could get that 3.1sec performance boost as well. I'm curious what change(s) were made to facilitate that.

There was a 5% performance boost released via software update last year to the P3D. I don't think they ever updated their page to reflect that change. I believe it was still listed at 3.2 before and after the change. I know people were claiming to hit sub 3 sec after the update.

Tesla Model 3 nails 0-60 mph in 2.9 sec after OTA software update

@To3OrNotTo3 I don’t have a delivery indication as yet – still waiting for a date in the app but Tesla SA told me to expect a car in late November / more likely early December. It’s also not uncommon for the my account section not to get updated, but if you want to check it’s worth calling Tesla as they have been very helpful on orders and order dates.
Thanks for the added info @Glassdome ! By call Tesla, do you mean one's Sale Advisor? Did so, he didn't seem concerned, but given my very mixed experiences with Sales Advisors, I sometimes have a trust complex with them :D He seems like one of the better informed ones however.

I don't have a "sales advisor" per se. Do you mean just ringing Tesla up and spending to general customer services?

In my case, I just called my local Tesla location, and the guy that answered passed me on to an advisor who happened to be the one who sent me the "Conratulations on your order!" next steps email. If you can do it safely, going in person might be better.

Reactions: Dinsdale
For what it's worth, I just used the chat feature on the website and was told "2021 Model 3 will have heat pump for all Model 3 trim options."
I just did the same thing and the assistant checked with his supervisors and called me back and confirmed that the Model 3 (I was talking LR AWD with him) would have the heat pump. I asked him to send that to me in an email and he did, FWIW. TG

I just did the same thing and the assistant checked with his supervisors and called me back and confirmed that the Model 3 (I was talking LR AWD with him) would have the heat pump. I asked him to send that to me in an email and he did, FWIW. TG

This is what the Tesla rep's email said:

"Following up on our conversation about the Model 3 2021 updates, as of October 3 all Model 3 trim vehicles, built out of the Fremont California factory, will come with the following updates:
- Satin Black (exterior) trim
- New Wheel options
- Power Trunk
- EMEA Headlights
- Interior updates
- Heat Pump"