Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'bout time Elon improved the glass to reduce noise. (CR even noted how 'noisy' they were.) Ever since the M3 came out, I mentioned the noise as a result of all that glass on the car. (gotta more than a few disagrees back then.) My point was that the road noise, while fine for a car costing $35k, was way too much for a car costing ~$60k. The PuP should have come with a higher level of insulation, IMO. I would have easily paid an extra thou or two for a quieter ride.

'bout time Elon improved the glass to reduce noise. (CR even noted how 'noisy' they were.) Ever since the M3 came out, I mentioned the noise as a result of all that glass on the car. (gotta more than a few disagrees back then.) My point was that the road noise, while fine for a car costing $35k, was way too much for a car costing ~$60k. The PuP should have come with a higher level of insulation, IMO. I would have easily paid an extra thou or two for a quieter ride.

BMW and Mercedes offer optional laminated side glass to US customers. Didn't have it in my 2012 E350 and the only noise in the car seemed to be wind noise from the side glass. Opted for it in my 2014... same exact car... and the difference was night and day. Most noticeable was when cars drove past - it was almost silent. It was $1000 and you got a laminated windshield and front side glass. Special ordered it on my BMW 5 series as well.

I have a 2020 M3 and now a MY and the wind noise from the side is much less in the Y. Can't help but wonder if the smaller side mirrors are a factor. Also, the door glass in the Y seems much more flush with the B-pillar while the M3 glass kind of sticks out a bit. Also, the gap between the b-pillar and front glass on the Y is MUCH smaller than the M3.

As for a retrofit to current cars, the MB and BMW had framed doors and different weatherstripping to accommodate the thick glass. With frameless doors, I suspect the door opening weatherstripping would need to be replaced in order for the thicker window to sit flush with the b-pillar.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNation
Is it me or does it look like there's much more room by the driver's feet. Seems the full width only goes to the front of the driver's seat. Either that or it's wider than the current console and doesn't taper like the current console.

8-tesla-model-3-2019-rt-cabin.jpg
tesla-model-3-center-console.jpeg

Last edited:
How's about a REAL XM radio. I'm tired of steaming my radio stations and have them drop out because I lose my WiFi connection in the middle of nowhere.:mad:

And don't tell me you don't have a place for the antenna, my Corvette puts the antenna in the rear bumper, and it works just fine. They don't need a clear view of the sky (or set us up with Starlink to the car;)).

How's about a REAL XM radio. I'm tired of steaming my radio stations and have them drop out because I lose my WiFi connection in the middle of nowhere.:mad:

And don't tell me you don't have a place for the antenna, my Corvette puts the antenna in the rear bumper, and it works just fine. They don't need a clear view of the sky (or set us up with Starlink to the car;)).
Spotify > XM

I think it actually sounds like a nice improvement. The piano black surface selection was a glaringly awful mistake. And all of the other changes sound like modest improvements as well.

The top doesn’t slide down anymore, the middle compartment doesn’t flip it just slides, and they chromed it up..

It's hard to judge without actually seeing it, but the mockup and description make it sound like there's less chrome overall...

Instead of extending the chrome trim all the way to the front along the sides (past the phone dock), it'll just wrap around/across in front of the phone docks. Maybe it'll stand out more that way, but there'll objectively be fewer inches of it. And the chrome is being removed from around the cupholders.

And I can't say I'm a huge fan of the hinged doors anyway. I see no reason why a sliding door couldn't be an improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
It really is too bad you had such a terrible experience.

In my case, I had a horrible purchasing experience, but the car has made up for it many times over. My car was delivered with two small paint flaws that (luckily) are in places that aren't visible to anyone but me, and other than that, has been perfect.

I've now owned my Model 3 for just over 14 months. For the first time in my 53 years on this planet, I love a car more at the one year point than I did when I picked it up.

Yes, I know that Tesla has a long, long way to go with customer service, quality assurance, etc. but when you consider how amazing the actual product(s) are, I'm willing to give them quite a bit of slack in those areas. They'll get it figured out eventually. Until then, I'll just grit my teeth through the bad customer service and enjoy my ride.

I'm sure that CyberTruck will have quite a few teething issues, too. But that's not gonna slow me down from getting one as fast as I possibly can.

Tesla is (arguably) doing more toward getting this planet moving to a sustainable future than any other company on earth. And I'm gonna support them down that path even if it means I have to do a bit of nail biting along the way.

Well said! and I agree whole heartedly with the sustainable future that is being pushed. It is great to see the evolution of the model 3 happen so fast and I wish I was still part of it and not waiting. I would get more a kick out of it like you owning a bit of the history and admiring the future. I certainly understand there will be some bumps. You cant ignore one of those bumps is having the will to have more pride in the end product enough not to keep constantly passing the buck down to your customers. This part of the equation does not sound along the lines of sustainability it more starts to sound like wasting parts and resources post delivery. Not to mention building a more solid reputation. In my case I had quite a few more issues and it was not an easy choice to send back. I asked Tesla to change the car too so I could move on and continue to be a customer as they would if I had rejected it against the advice of the Tesla rep on pickup or believed I wouldn't get that service centre experience being unprepared for things. You see at the end of the day who loses out? Me the customer. The most sour thing is actually driving a diesel car for the first time today since I switched to EV's. My father needed to take his van in and there I am driving a Kia Sportage to pick him up I knew I was spewing out the tail pipe it actually felt bad and seriously under powered too lol. But I actually felt bad to the core weird but I did. Financially have also lost out. The model 3 is more expensive than when I purchased it by at least £4000. There was no last min push sale this quarter not in these times with the slow down I am sure less cars produced. There are lots of people worse off in life so I am not unhappy. But for the sake of a human having a look over my wonderful black model 3 SR+ for which I saved like a trooper for years for, as it gets to the end of the line I ended up with a car that needed fixing before it even got into my hands which is not the way the industry should be going in. I felt I was helping the planet and Tesla. I am sure in the future I will and I will also try to feature it in the new place I create for live or edited. Like a lot of people these are some hard times but I will work harder to get back again I hope sooner rather than a polluting later.

Ok someone please help me I am very new to Tesla, so I ordered my model 3 long range yesterday. And now I see the news about the refresh, and I am really wanting those changes in my car as I was gonna spend money to get them done aftermarket anyways. Now my delivery is estimated from NOV12-start of December. How does the vin system work, will they assign me a 2021 vin if those start rolling out by then, or will I get a 2020 vin since I ordered in October. Another question is, how about delaying my delivery so that I could maybe get a refreshed model?

• Funny
Meh I have a power trunk. It's cool but totally rediculous. It's definitely not needed and provided no real benefit for me.

The power frunk proved to be incredibly useful though. When you don't have to squash the hood down you tend to use the frunk a lot more. The smaller space is great for items you don't want sliding around in the trunk. Tesla needs to add a power frunk to all vehicles.

Double pane glass I'm not sure about. I don't get a lot of noise from the roof. Nearly all my noise is tire noise. I think the sound proofing on the bottom need improvement.

I am a fan of the new console. I wonder how much it will be in the parts catalog.

The chrome delete is just the window trim. In theory you can buy that in the parts catalog also and just put it on. Then sell your chrome on eBay.

interesting you mention costs from the parts catalog. Is it likely Tesla will allow for the purchase of the new console or even parts for power trunk and provide installation? Makes sense they would...

• Funny
If it is well done, I recommend it. I opted for black alcantara in my S and have been happy with it for 5 years.

I had the black headliner in my Model S as well and swore that I’d never have anything else....sadly, it wasn’t an option for the Model 3.

So—what to do? Tsportline will modify it for $4000 (ouch!) but it is a one-stop shop (alcantara, painted plastic bits and full installation) and given their reputation is bound to be perfect. Unplugged Performance will send you their version but it does NOT include all the plastic bits (seatbelt tensioners, coat hooks, speaker grills, map light enclosure, etc) and, of course, doesn’t include installation. The shops I’ve found near me (that come recommended) either paint or do interiors but not both. Seems like a lot of coordination and headaches having to deal with 3+ vendors to get this done (may be different in your area).

I still really want to do this (it’s one of my top complaints about the car—why only offer the very pedestrian, uber-plain-jane greige (grey/beige) headliner in such a forward thinking car?) but not sure a $3-4k investment of this nature is wise. I even tried to put together a group buy but couldn’t get the price down enough to warrant the effort.

Good luck—please post pics if/when you undertake this modification.

Ok someone please help me I am very new to Tesla, so I ordered my model 3 long range yesterday. And now I see the news about the refresh, and I am really wanting those changes in my car as I was gonna spend money to get them done aftermarket anyways. Now my delivery is estimated from NOV12-start of December. How does the vin system work, will they assign me a 2021 vin if those start rolling out by then, or will I get a 2020 vin since I ordered in October. Another question is, how about delaying my delivery so that I could maybe get a refreshed model?

this just happened to me this morning - ordered it and i was immediately assigned a VIN. based off of the VIN (L in the 10th digit), it was definitely a 2020 model that was probably left over from last month's over deliveries. i simply gave them a call and asked the SA to rematch me to a different VIN as i was looking to take delivery in late November-December. about an hour later, the VIN was removed from my Tesla account.

• Informative
Reactions: TX_M3P+
I saw a delivery of new model 3s being unloaded in Los Angeles today with the black trim and the new console.

One other new addition I noticed is that there is a black rectangular license plate bracket screwed into the center of the front bumper. Yes bolted in to the center, not under the front lip.
So I assume you can remove it if you want but there will be some bolt holes in the bumper now.

I saw a delivery of new model 3s being unloaded in Los Angeles today with the black trim and the new console.

One other new addition I noticed is that there is a black rectangular license plate bracket screwed into the center of the front bumper. Yes bolted in to the center, not under the front lip.
So I assume you can remove it if you want but there will be some bolt holes in the bumper now.

Man I was 7 days too early before the refresh. Damn!