Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per EPA documents I see the following:
LRAWD Front (kw) Rear (kw)
2020 147 182
2021 98 195

PAWD
2020 147 211
2021 131 190

Interesting how acceleration is claimed to improve with lower power motors. Perhaps changes to the torque curve explain it.
The motor ratings in the EPA documents have never matched reality. I wouldn’t be overly concerned with those numbers.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I’m not concerned at all. Just wondering. I didn’t think you could just make stuff up on EPA submissions. Where do you find the “reality” data?
CANbus data and dynos have shown higher power output. There have been some errors or inaccuracies in those documents typically. I don’t think it’s malicious, but it is odd. It may be done for competitive reasons. In another example, the docs say the cars Supercharge at up to 525A, but they actually peak at 700A briefly when charging at 250kW below 5%.

3DF745D5-E43B-4294-A2B1-1451B7210FBB.png

Model 3 AWD+ (w/Accel. Boost) - Power vs. Speed vs. State of Charge : teslamotors

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Anyone want to hazard a guess at how much it would cost to retrofit the dechromed parts?

- The rear quarter window part is an all-in-one assembly.
- Two wing mirror assemblies (the cap and mirror is separate I think)
- Two camera (or camera shells?)
- 4 door handles
- The rest of the brightwork

I'm going to assume based on the fact that the doors have to pretty much be taken completely apart, glass and all, to get to the door handles that the labour cost would probably be a few hours worth.

Yes, wrapping is cheaper but OEM is always nice and you don't have to think about anywhere peeling (even on good wraps there will be areas that can't easily be folded over, etc)

Anyone want to hazard a guess at how much it would cost to retrofit the dechromed parts?

- The rear quarter window part is an all-in-one assembly.
- Two wing mirror assemblies (the cap and mirror is separate I think)
- Two camera (or camera shells?)
- 4 door handles
- The rest of the brightwork

I'm going to assume based on the fact that the doors have to pretty much be taken completely apart, glass and all, to get to the door handles that the labour cost would probably be a few hours worth.

Yes, wrapping is cheaper but OEM is always nice and you don't have to think about anywhere peeling (even on good wraps there will be areas that can't easily be folded over, etc)
When we wrapped our car we also did the chrome delete. By heart it was 400 euro in the Netherlands for the chrome delete

• Love
Reactions: Mrbrock
CANbus data and dynos have shown higher power output. There have been some errors or inaccuracies in those documents typically. I don’t think it’s malicious, but it is odd. It may be done for competitive reasons. In another example, the docs say the cars Supercharge at up to 525A, but they actually peak at 700A briefly when charging at 250kW below 5%.

View attachment 603336
Model 3 AWD+ (w/Accel. Boost) - Power vs. Speed vs. State of Charge : teslamotors

Great info — By chance, does anyone have something similar for the Performance model? Thanks all — stay healthy! MJP

Any idea what the new door panels entail?

What I read said no new features, just a slightly different design. Model Y to start in July, rumored.

I'm not going to hold up my Y order for whatever the change(s) are to the door panels. I just wanted to share that more changes are coming throughout the year. Perhaps we will see a dark headliner at some point too. I would hold out for a dark headliner but I may just have it done aftermarket.

• Informative
Reactions: Gsxr150
What I read said no new features, just a slightly different design. Model Y to start in July, rumored.

I'm not going to hold up my Y order for whatever the change(s) are to the door panels. I just wanted to share that more changes are coming throughout the year. Perhaps we will see a dark headliner at some point too. I would hold out for a dark headliner but I may just have it done aftermarket.
Thinking of picking up a model 3 in December, so that is good to hear. Do you happen to have where you read it from?

Do you have a screen recording? I only have as low as 6-7%, but it seems it is capped at 680A
Good question. The 700A limit I mentioned is just from my analysis. Over a year ago, I predicted that 700A would be needed at low SOC to provide 250 kW based on data from the initial V3 Supercharging profiles. That analysis wasn't as straightforward as I expected so I was happy to later see Bjorn's data that validated it. The video you linked shows 683A at 9% and I recall he has another that started at a little lower SOC and ~690A.

Getting 250kW at below 5% is very rare and any charging near 700A is only for a handful of seconds as the amperage decreases rapidly to compensate for the increasing voltage. To see 700A, the battery would need to be hot (~50C) at the start of the charge cycle and the SOC needs to be near 0%.

A guy on Facebook that claims to work for a door panel supplier of Tesla's. So, yeah, take that for what its worth. I tried to use "rumor" and "rumored" to indicate an indefinite source.
Ahh, now that you mention it I do think I remember reading that. I wonder if the December made ones with a heated steering hweel will be delivered in California first

Ahh, now that you mention it I do think I remember reading that. I wonder if the December made ones with a heated steering hweel will be delivered in California first

I can't help but wonder if the changes are more for production and not really for the end-user. Like the one-piece rear casting some Y reservation holders are going nuts about. The end-user wont notice a difference.

Reactions: srk67 and Zoomit