Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a delivery of new model 3s being unloaded in Los Angeles today with the black trim and the new console.

One other new addition I noticed is that there is a black rectangular license plate bracket screwed into the center of the front bumper. Yes bolted in to the center, not under the front lip.
So I assume you can remove it if you want but there will be some bolt holes in the bumper now.
Did you get a picture of the console?

this just happened to me this morning - ordered it and i was immediately assigned a VIN. based off of the VIN (L in the 10th digit), it was definitely a 2020 model that was probably left over from last month's over deliveries. i simply gave them a call and asked the SA to rematch me to a different VIN as i was looking to take delivery in late November-December. about an hour later, the VIN was removed from my Tesla account.

interesting you mention costs from the parts catalog. Is it likely Tesla will allow for the purchase of the new console or even parts for power trunk and provide installation? Makes sense they would...

Sure you can buy the console and put it in. You can buy the console now from them and change to usb C even someone in the forums did it.

The power trunk I doubt they will install. Tesla likely integrated it into the vehicle harness and canbus. They also made holes for the cables through the body by the rear window. If they do offer to install it I am thinking it's over $1500 purchased and installed. They charge $800 for the spoiler and it's attached with double sided tape.

Interesting news. The updates look cool for sure and I really want the power trunk - so much. Easier for shopping and kids stuff.

I placed an order on Monday this week. I haven’t competed the order fully - I have paid my £100 and am at the stage of loading in my driving licence photos.

Should I continue with it and if I do at this stage will I likely be on the back end so likely to get the refreshed model?

Or should I wait a bit longer?

I guess no one can really answer100% as nothing formal has come out yet as far as I can see. I don’t know how far this forum extends but I’m based in the U.K. so talking about U.K. orders and VIN M shipments. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Interesting news. The updates look cool for sure and I really want the power trunk - so much. Easier for shopping and kids stuff.

I placed an order on Monday this week. I haven’t competed the order fully - I have paid my £100 and am at the stage of loading in my driving licence photos.

Should I continue with it and if I do at this stage will I likely be on the back end so likely to get the refreshed model?

Or should I wait a bit longer?

I guess no one can really answer100% as nothing formal has come out yet as far as I can see. I don’t know how far this forum extends but I’m based in the U.K. so talking about U.K. orders and VIN M shipments. Thanks in advance
Im in the same situation I ordered yesterday, I have done everything so far except the loan application, and Im going to ask my sales advisor to confirm that I will get a model 3 with the refresh, I just don't know how to contact my sales advisor

I saw a delivery of new model 3s being unloaded in Los Angeles today with the black trim and the new console.

One other new addition I noticed is that there is a black rectangular license plate bracket screwed into the center of the front bumper. Yes bolted in to the center, not under the front lip.
So I assume you can remove it if you want but there will be some bolt holes in the bumper now.

wow these are out in the wild already? Will anxiously awaiting a report from a 2021 owner

I ordered in Toronto on Sept 24 and have been impatient about getting my VIN, slightly irritated that I didn't pick up the inventory model when I had the chance given that it's taking so long.

But if this is the case, and I accidentally slipped into the the first batch of the latest models, I'm super lucky with my timing.

And the inventory in Toronto seems to have dropped to only two cars. Compared to dozens of Model 3s at the beginning of September.

Im in the same situation I ordered yesterday, I have done everything so far except the loan application, and Im going to ask my sales advisor to confirm that I will get a model 3 with the refresh, I just don't know how to contact my sales advisor

where are you located? Just call the closet Tesla location or call 1-888-51TESLA and they can connect you (type in your zip)

You can request that you get assigned at a later date (decemberish) and they can set that up for you

Hmmm this might be the time to jump back into the pool, fingers crossed the crap doesn't happen again. " new double-paned glass " sounds... well quieter.
Does it? Two thinner pieces of glass with air in between vs one solid piece of glass? Not sure about quieter. Maybe better for holding in heat or coolness, but not sure about sound reduction. It would be nice once these new windows start rolling out for someone to do a sound comparison between the two different window types.

42RZkTz.png

Does it? Two thinner pieces of glass with air in between vs one solid piece of glass? Not sure about quieter. Maybe better for holding in heat or coolness, but not sure about sound reduction. It would be nice once these new windows start rolling out for someone to do a sound comparison between the two different window types.
I believe double paned windows are known for attenuating sound. They’re used in most higher end quieter vehicles. There are things they can do to help reduce sound despite the two panes being thinner (lamination, etc. ).

Last edited: