Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a heated steering wheel in my Model X. I love it, use it all the time during the cold season and really hope it will be available via OTA update for the Model 3 that we have on order. Shaves off ~15 min of pre-heating time to make car feel warm and comfy which means I can start pre-heating right as I prepare to leave rather than having to remember to do it well in advance.

So pre-heating the cabin does not make heated steering wheel irrelevant. I wonder why some people feel that they need to convince us that we’re wrong to want it.

I’m fine with them not wanting it.

I was about to say this. I have raynauds and always wear thick gloves when driving in the winter. A heated steering wheel would be amazing. My wife’s car has one and it helps so much. I could not wear gloves when driving that make using the touchscreen easier. Would also be great on those cool days where you don’t need the cabin heat but want the wheel to be warmer than 60 degrees.

Why do people love to embrace the efficiency benefits of heated seats compared to warming the entire cabin, but can't seem to do so for a heated steering wheel?
Because the car doesn't allow you to select "preheating" the seats or wheel without selecting the AC and when outside is so cold that a heated steering makes sense, you will want to defog the windows anyways so the car will be preheated via PTC which eliminates the need of a heated steering. If the temperatures are mild and I can select only the seats or wheel on a short trip - then yes, it will make a difference.

Shaves off ~15 min of pre-heating time to make car feel warm and comfy which means I can start pre-heating right as I prepare to leave rather than having to remember to do it well in advance.

So pre-heating the cabin does not make heated steering wheel irrelevant. I wonder why some people feel that they need to convince us that we’re wrong to want it.
I think you misunderstood the point I made - I was talking about people coming from ICE who don't understand the difference of having a pre-heated car. Not convincing anyone, just explainig it to them, because trust me - coming from an ICE and never driven a car with preheating before you would not know the difference it makes to never have to go into a cold car ever again.

Also, not sure what you mean by "comfy", but if it shaves off 15 minutes (so you actually preheat longer?!) of pre-heating then I don't know maybe we have different definitions of warm and comfy. I am yet to have a situation where the car needs more than 5 minutes of preheating with seat heater on, to make the car more than warm enough, including the steering wheel. Maybe Tesla don't turn on the PTC on the X like they do on the 3, not sure, but unless the car sits in -10C for weeks, 5-10 minutes is all you will ever need of pre heating. If you go much longer you are just wasting energy to keep the car warm, but the temperature has been reached long ago.

It is a nice feature to have, but is def not a deal breaker in a pre-heated car for anyone without medical condition. And I def would not make my purchase decision based on that alone, that is all I said. Nice to have, no necessity on a pre-heated car.

Also, on the 3 the heaters sit right behind the steering wheel and they blow straight at it on a long array. On the X they are like on traditional cars on the sides where you have to manualy adjust them, don't think the steering gets heated this way, so maybe that is another difference you have to consider.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Also, not sure what you mean by "comfy", but if it shaves off 15 minutes (so you actually preheat longer?!) of pre-heating then I don't know maybe we have different definitions of warm and comfy. I am yet to have a situation where the car needs more than 5 minutes of preheating with seat heater on, to make the car more than warm enough, including the steering wheel. Maybe Tesla don't turn on the PTC on the X like they do on the 3, not sure, but unless the car sits in -10C for weeks, 5-10 minutes is all you will ever need of pre heating. If you go much longer you are just wasting energy to keep the car warm, but the temperature has been reached long ago.

It is a nice feature to have, but is def not a deal breaker in a pre-heated car for anyone without medical condition. And I def would not make my purchase decision based on that alone, that is all I said. Nice to have, no necessity on a pre-heated car.
Completely agree that it shouldn’t be a deal breaker. Other benefits by far outweighs lack of heated steering wheel, especially if otherwise considering an ICE car. And we obviously ordered our new Model 3 without knowing. But I still really hope that it’s physically there and can be enabled later.

I normally pre-heat our X for five minutes, but when I occasionally forget to activate steering wheel heater, this means car feels cold, even after 15 min of heating. Even if cabin quickly heats up, it takes time for steering wheel to feel warm to the touch without the heater.

No idea if there’s a big difference between X and 3 in regards to where the warm air is blowing. Another source for discrepancy in experience might be that I’m based in Sweden - temperatures below freezing is norm winter time.

People, this is an electric car with an app and preheat functionality. This is not your old ICE car where you had to scrub ice from the windows. 5 minutes preheating and your car and wheel are warm enough for the 2 days that we will still have winter from now on. Stop fixating on the steering wheel, this is as useless as a back pocket on a t-shirt.
Well not completely true, some Volvo ICE cars have a pre-heat option, all controlled by an app. Let's not pretend Tesla invented everything to date just because the cars are electric now, shall we?

Well not completely true, some Volvo ICE cars have a pre-heat option, all controlled by an app.
These must be hybrids as normal ICEs can't have an always on connection as it will kill the 12V. Also it must have a parking heater and you can't run it in your garage. So it is a lot of IFs. So no, normal ICEs don't have that and I am pretty sure Tesla was the first to introduce that.

Reactions: Npap
Volvo has what they call Volvo on Call app - It will start the car and preheat the car, if there is a giving minimum amount of fuel in the tank and proper charge on the battery. But since it requires starting the car, you cannot do it in your closed garage in the winter (for heating) or summer (for cooling).

On the other hand I can program my Tesla to be fully charged, with the battery warmed up and the climate control set for a given temperture in my closed garage here in Ohio for the moment that I wish to leave... I can sit down in my nice toasty car and after I am in the toasty car open the garage door and drive out into the blowing snow...

So, with the Volvo you have two choices, one go to your cold car in the garage or go out into the blowing snow to get to your warm car...

I do not need to make such a choice with my Model Y.

Reactions: Saturday
These must be hybrids as normal ICEs can't have an always on connection as it will kill the 12V. Also it must have a parking heater and you can't run it in your garage. So it is a lot of IFs. So no, normal ICEs don't have that and I am pretty sure Tesla was the first to introduce that.
Nope, it was a Volvo V40, not a hybrid, 100% dirty ICE :p

So, the onestar app that connects to my car where i can get it's actual location, send a location to the car's satnav, check oil pressure, tyre pressure mileage and so on is ..not what you mean with an always on connection? Or is there another construct to which you're referring to?

The only point you have is; yes, it's an extra option (with the Volvo, my Opel 2017 does not have it :p ) i think it's the winterpackage (what's in the name) And yes, you'll have to park your car outside. But those are just drawbacks to an existing solution that existed pre Tesla.
And that's fine by me though, i don't mind the borrowing of already existing ideas, but again i stand by my point that most of the functionality is not per se new, if anything Tesla improved upon it yes, but they did not invent the weel on all accounts.
It just uses a lot of things in a more innovative and progressive way, one of the reasons why i like Tesla

"So, with the Volvo you have two choices, one go to your cold car in the garage or go out into the blowing snow to get to your warm car...."

Well yes, but get this: in Europe (where i live) 80% op the population parks their car outside, to most of us, it's a waste of space parking your car inside because let's face if, we don't have much space to begin with. And our car will be either on the driveway of on the street, so that 3 meters tops to get to your car, a little snow won't really stop you there.